I have a lenovo all in one pc that has the Real Tek 8821AE wireless card. I have gone on the manufacturers website and downloaded the .sys and .inf files for ndisgen, and when I run the program to create the module i get all the way to the point where it says:
Code:
    Generating Makefile... done.
Building kernel module... ln: machine: Operation not supported
build failed. Exiting
I am not sure where to go from here. I have been tring to connect my freebsd system to the internet through a wireless connection and this is a roadblock.

Your best best is getting a network card (usb connected or otherwise) that is supported in FreeBSD.
Messing around with ndisgen is just adding frustrations.
Just my 0.2 eurocents.

I think the last time I have seen ndisgen(8) work, Windows 95 was still a thing. And even then it was a hit or miss if it worked or not. Don't bother with it.

I'd try rtwn(4) for a RTL8821 type card.

Sorry to say, but this is a bit of a sobering post seeing it coming from a board admin.

I had the same issue and it is working now:
carefully inspecting the error message one will see the error is from the 'ln' command, which is used to link files.
I was running ndisgen while the input files where on a USB pen drive, and also the current working directory was there.

Moving the files to SSD solved it; now running 11.2 with relatively old wifi card (Broadcom), but will suit my needs.

Hope this is still relevant to OP (and maybe even any other person hitting same error).

Koen

Sorry to say, but this is a bit of a sobering post seeing it coming from a board admin.
Don't read too much into that Admin flag, I'm just a user like most of us here. I do have lots of experience, I've been a daily user of FreeBSD since 3.0.

I never had a "good" experience with ndisgen(8). It's typically easier and quicker to simply buy another card, one that's known to work with the native drivers.

SirDice, Phishfry, Grahamperrin Thank you for your support to other FreeBSD users. I am working to follow in your foot steps to also help others with their wireless questions.

Howto setup RTWN driver for RTL8821cu card,from a future Post :>)

As a new user myself a few years back using GhostBSD working to get wifi operational, I read lots of web posts, gleaning bits and pieces of information from them and from reading the FreeBSD handbook, yet I found nothing to show a new user to FreeBSD (or GhostBSD) how to start from NO KNOWLEDGE, what commands to begin with to know what wifi device was hidden inside that Dell Laptop. I distilled them to a set of howto commands useful for a USB device RTL8192cu Edimax EW7811un 150 mbits wifi usb nano dongle working and a second post for PCI device RTL8188CE internal to a Dell Inspiron Laptop.

Hope this collected information helps you out today, whichever year it is in the future. Please have a read and see if you can follow it down the happy trail to a working Wifi connection to your favorite access point. It is really hard being a newbie to an operating system, and not knowing what command to type at a command line, what command comes first and what sequence of commands follow to give you the information for the next input question asked. Finally what files do you have to edit and what information do you need to place in those files?

3 Files to add configuration lines into /boot/loader.conf /etc/rc.conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
You will need to install 2 or 3 wifi driver kernel modules with kldload command. Start with 2 comands,
Code:
uname -a
kldstat
Know what version of FreeBSD you are running with "uname -a" command. Then "kldstat" command to see what kernel modules .ko file have already been loaded from this directory /boot/kernel.

See what pci and usb devices are attached to your computer. Look for the wireless wifi device name.
Code:
pciconf -lv
usbconfig list
usbconfig dump_device_desc

Load these 3 kernel modules, as an example for a Realtek wifi driver, either USB or PCI
Code:
kldload rtwn if_rtwn_usb if_rtwn_pci     
kldstat

create rtwn0 device
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev rtwn0

Bringing up the Wi-Fi device, will load the device firmware automatically. Then will scan for local WiFi access points that you could connect to.
i
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 up scan

See the 2 url links at the start of this post to get more details for connecting to a Wifi Access Point.

Github MorrownR RTL8821cu Linux Device Driver source code. He adds a lot of good sound information that may be useful to read about that is the same suggestions for a FreeBSD wifi checklist.

Back