Drivers for rtl8821cu?

Quick question, are there drivers for the rtl8821cu wireless adapter? I'm surprised by how good the hardware support for FreeBSD is and I'm wondering if drivers exist for this.

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:c811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 802.11ac NIC
Line with Vendor , Product Ids above, are from a linux lsusb command.
What Vendor 0bda and Product c811 Ids do you get for your RTL8821cu wifi device?
Can you post a picture of your wifi device or post a URL link to a manufacturer pictures and specifications? Realize the FreeBSD wifi drivers support a,b,g protocol but not N or AC.

Post all the results from first command and the section related to your wireless device on the second command
1.) usbconfig list
2.) usbconfig dump_device__desc

Wireless configuration for a USB device using rtwn driver Example Edimax EW-7811un RTL8192CU

Wireless configuration for a PCI device Good examples for Realtek PCI RTL8188CE chip set

RTL8812AU or RTL8812BU Realtek Devices A example explanation

Code:
usbconfig list
usbconfig dump_device_desc

Code:
sysctl -a net.wlan.devices
Remember this is JUST a work in progress.
There are 3 files need edited /boot/loader.conf /etc/rc.conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
you will need to install 2 or 3 wifi driver kernel modules with kldload command.
Check first what kernel modules are loaded. Then check after the 2 kldload commands.
Code:
kldstat
kldload rtwn if_rtwn_usb if_rtwn_pci
kldstat

Do this once to create wlan0 entry (or rtwn0, I am not sure)
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev rtwn0

restart the networking service daemons
Code:
service  netif restart
service routing restart

Scan for WiFi access points to connect to.
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 up scan

See more details at these 2 links about Edimax and PCI RTL8188CE

See also details / information from a well maintained linux table entry specifically for Realtek chip sets wifi devices, both usb and pci

RTL8821cu single board computers USB wifi dongle adapter manufacturer

Realtek RTL8821cu specifications

Place to look for wifi devices and supported BSD drivers for that device.
issue command
Code:
pkg install hw-probe
hw-probe -all -upload
to see how well your computer is supported by BSD drivers for the devices found inside. -all checks all devices -upload uploads the information on devices found in your PC computer up to the bsd-hardware.info website. There is a companion Linux Hardware website linux-hardware.org Where you can see how well your PC computer is supported by Linux device drivers for the devices found inside your computer.

Did you try and get the rtl8821cu wifi device working with your choice of a FreeBSD? Thanks for the question, it prompted me to research about this particular device. Above you have the results.
I just found this thread. i'm getting a WU650 today from amazon so i can install freebsd on this old ACER laptop. its also a rtl8821cu and i will test and report back. the current freebsd version i will be testing is 13.2-RELEASE

Reporting back.

The WU650 with rtl8821cu don't work it's not supported at all. I tried and tried but nothing. I did order a TL-WN725N which has a RTL8188EU chipset and it worked immediately. Hope freebsd in the future will make more cards and dongles compatible so more people will stick with the OS.

Back