bootloader FreeBSD [newbie question]

Hi, sorry for the ignorance, it is the first time that I install FreeBSD. I wondered if FreeBSD automatically installs a boot loader, because I want to make a dual boot with Gentoo, Gentoo grub maintaining and adding the voice FreeBSD (of course I will use UFS partitions compatibility grub), thanks.

For MBR partitions and UFS FreeBSD does indeed have a bootloader, boot0cfg(8). It's a bit arcane though. Not sure what the status is when it comes to UEFI and/or GPT. Your best bet is to use grub from the existing Linux installation.

Have a look at this thread: Thread 49055/.

For MBR partitions and UFS FreeBSD does indeed have a bootloader, boot0cfg(8). It's a bit arcane though. Not sure what the status is when it comes to UEFI and/or GPT. Your best bet is to use grub from the existing Linux installation.

Have a look at this thread: Thread 49055/.
but I freebsd install automatically this your bootloader and overwrites my grub?

The installer will ask before doing anything. In order to get some experience with the installation process I highly recommend having a few test runs on a virtual machine. That way you know what to expect and can get some experience before destroying your existing install ;)

The installer will ask before doing anything. In order to get some experience with the installation process I highly recommend having a few test runs on a virtual machine. That way you know what to expect and can get some experience before destroying your existing install ;)
thanks, I've already tried a couple of times in virtual machine, now I try real pc, I'll know! :)

Yeee :D
everything works, is that freebsd gentoo, I simply added to grub:
Code:
menuentry 'FreeBSD' --class os {
   set root='(hd0,4)'
   chainloader +1
}
oWABHtr.png

Back