Solved Automatically adjust resolution as VMware guest

jbo@

Developer
Hello folks,

I'm running a FreeBSD 10.2 guest in VMware and so far everything works great. The thing I am missing is that X changes the resolution when resizing the VMware window. From my Linux guests (I am switching to FreeBSD just now) I am used that changing the size of the VMware window automatically changes the resolution of X. This is especially important when changing from window mode to fullscreen mode. Right now I manually have to change the resolution using xrandr.
Sadly I couldn't find any information on this. Does anybody have a clue what I have to look out for?

Hello folks,

I'm running a FreeBSD 10.2 guest in VMware and so far everything works great. The thing I am missing is that X changes the resolution when resizing the VMware window. From my Linux guests (I am switching to FreeBSD just now) I am used that changing the size of the VMware window automatically changes the resolution of X. This is especially important when changing from window mode to fullscreen mode. Right now I manually have to change the resolution using xrandr.
Sadly I couldn't find any information on this. Does anybody have a clue what I have to look out for?
Can you try this howto? http://www.unibia.com/unibianet/freebsd/open-vm-tools-freebsd-10-xorg

Install the emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions port in your guest.
That package appears to be for VirtualBox. I am using VMware.

That is the HowTo I actually tried to follow. However, the patch files seems to be outdated - they couldn't be applied successfully.
Also, that guide doesn't talk about adjusting resolution automatically anyway.

Any other ideas?

tobik: I tried to follow that guide. However, I am a bit confused regarding editing xorg.conf. The guide mentions:
Code:
cd /root
Xorg -configure
mv /root/xorg.conf.new /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/vmware.conf
But afterwards I am supposed to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
As I understand the FreeBSD 10.2 that I am using doesn't come with /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Am I supposed to edit the newly created /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/vmware.conf instead?

I gave this a try and it works for xfce4. Well, it doesn't dynamically change the resolution whenever you resize the VMware window. It just distinguishes between windowed mode and full screen. But that's already somewhat useful.
The problem is that this doesn't work for i3. With i3, nothing happens at all. It just always stays with the fixed resolution. Any ideas?

I actually got this working by following the guide that tobik linked. However, in order to get auto-resizing working I had to manually start vmware-user-suid-wrapper. The guide states that auto-resizing should be working out of the box and that the mentioned command only needs to be executed for using the user toolbox.

Thanks for your help, guys!

Back