AMD Ryzen7, Vega 3 OpenGL with hardware acceleration

After a fresh FreeBSD installation, I was trying to run blender in the laptop and I noticed that just grabbing the default cube and trying to rotate around it performs really slow and sluggy/jumpy instead of making a smooth movement.

This are the pkgs installed:
Code:
#installed pkgs
mesa-demos-8.4.0_2             OpenGL demos distributed with Mesa
mesa-dri-19.0.8                OpenGL hardware acceleration drivers for DRI2+
mesa-libs-19.0.8               OpenGL libraries that support GLX and EGL clients
xf86-video-amdgpu-19.1.0_1     X.Org amdgpu display driver
drm-devel-kmod-5.0.g20200507   DRM modules for the linuxkpi-based KMS components (development version)
libdrm-2.4.99,1                Userspace interface to kernel Direct Rendering Module services

After some research, I discovered that using $ LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 blender makes the user interface smooth again.

That "might" be a tempral solution, but I wanted to go deeper. This machine has a dedicated gpu, and it'll be a waste if it couldn't run OpenGL properly, so I tried the program gears.
According to freedesktop, if the frames per second are less than 500-1000, then something could be wrong.
I'm getting 60 fps ~

The next step was to check out if the machine was falling back to software rendering, but apparently it's not:
Code:
$ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo | grep render
libGL: Using DRI3 for screen 0
direct rendering: Yes

At the Freenode chat I was told to check which vendor was glxinfo displaying. I checked it:
Code:
$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.27.0, 13.0-CURRENT, LLVM 8.0.1)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.0.8
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 19.0.8
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 19.0.8
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

It should be AMD instead of X.Org, or at least that was what I understood in the chat. Never mind, I cannot get gears to go more thant 60fps. Maybe there's some parameter making some kind of v-sync but I'm unable to find it. Neither I can run blender using gpu acceleration, its user interface is slow.

I've been checking xorg.conf.d files, dmesg and xorg.0.log reports to try and find what can be causing the problem.

I found that the module amdgpu has "X.Org" as vendor
Code:
[   134.604] (II) LoadModule: "amdgpu"
[   134.605] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amdgpu_drv.so
[   134.615] (II) Module amdgpu: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
and the module fb also shares vendor name:
Code:
[   148.966] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
[   148.967] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[   148.967] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
[   148.969] (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
but maybe it's unrelated.

One strange thing I found in dmesg related to drm was this:
Code:
[drm] BIOS signature incorrect 0 fe
but I have no idea what can it mean.

The 10-amdgpu.conf looks like this:
Code:
#10-amdgpu.conf
Section "Device"
        Identifier "AMDgpu"
        Driver "amdgpu"
        Option "DRI" "3"
        Option "PrimaryGPU" "Yes"
EndSection

Inside /etc/rc.conf this line is enabled:
Code:
kld_list="/boot/modules/amdgpu.ko"

And /boot/loader.conf has syscons disabled.

Here's a complete xorg.0.log pastebin and here's a complete dmesg pastebin

At this point, I'm unable to figure out what's wrong with the gpu. Has anyone an idea on how to get going with it?

Thanks in advance.

Your graphics card is configured correctly, but you have to know that you are using the developer version of the amdgpu kernel modules and i even had problems myself with my RX 570 on -CURRENT. It's also normal that the vendor is "X.Org Foundation" so nothing to worry about. To reach more FPS than your monitor refresh rate with glxgears use the command vblank_mode=0 glxgears

I would also like to point out that you are using an unsupported version of FreeBSD see: Topics about unsupported FreeBSD versions

You are using vega with efi ? how ? mine won't start xorg ! I need to disable syscons and then it stuck on efi framebuffer information and i can't do anything at all i can't even switch to another terminal.(trying to make my laptop to work ryzen3 vega3)

You are using vega with efi ? how ? mine won't start xorg ! I need to disable syscons and then it stuck on efi framebuffer information and i can't do anything at all i can't even switch to another terminal.(trying to make my laptop to work ryzen3 vega3)
In order to get it working I had to jump into FreeBSD 13-CURRENT so I can run the latest drm-devel-kmod, otherwise I had the same problem you mention booting the system with efi and vega.

I have tried FreeBSD 13 , started with a minimal installation with slim and openbox i succeed running it about three times !
Then i tried another display manager and desktop and was unable to start xorg stuck on EFI Framebuffer !!
I will try installing freebsd without any efi partitions only freebsd-boot and see if my laptop could boot from there something i don't believe.
I will try again using only slim and openbox just in case.

In order to get it working I had to jump into FreeBSD 13-CURRENT so I can run the latest drm-devel-kmod, otherwise I had the same problem you mention booting the system with efi and vega.

try to compile /usr/ports/graphics/mesa-dri , checked VAAPI and VDPAU option in menu. and then then reboot , it will work.
the mesa-dri don't not support hardware acceleration with amd cpu (VEGA vga card) , maybe the maintainer forget compile that in it. so you have to compile it manualy

try to compile /usr/ports/graphics/mesa-dri , checked VAAPI and VDPAU option in menu. and then then reboot , it will work.
the mesa-dri don't not support hardware acceleration with amd cpu (VEGA vga card) , maybe the maintainer forget compile that in it. so you have to compile it manualy

Thanks for the hint, I didn't know about that. What should exactly work? I've just built mesa-dri from source enabling VAAPI and VDPAU, and blender stills lagging in the viewport.
pkg info mesa-dri confirms options:
Code:
VAAPI : on
VDPAU : on
WAYLAND : on

Sorry to revive the thread, but did you ever get this working? I'm having similar issues on my RX480. It was working fine until a recent pkg update, pkg upgrade and pkg autoremove

Back