Adventure games: roleplaying, sandbox, interactive story; share screenshots

Share screenshots of adventure games on FreeBSD. Adventure games include roleplaying games (RPG) and sandbox games. Share text RPG/Adventure games too. Games run on an interpreter, game engine or emulator are good too. Maybe even online games as long as it's on FreeBSD. I don't know if the game should be opensource, because of potential image copyrights. Different scenes of the same games are ok too...

RPG screenshots
games/valyriatear
valyriatear.jpg

games/fotaq - Flight of the Amazon Queen
fotaq1.jpg

fotaq2.jpg

games/voadi
voadi.jpg

games/griels-quest
grielsquest.gif

Sandbox games
games/minetest - opensource clone of Minecraft.
minetest.jpg

minetest-menu.jpg

This game requires adding the user to the minetest group, and installing an additional minetest package, so it can generate the world.

games/endless-sky
endlesssky.jpg

While this game has an arcade aspect, it has dialog boxes in RPG style. Though, it's a sandbox game, rather than an RPG.

Just today, I installed “System Shock - Classic Edition”. I bought it from GOG.com for $3.99, or so.

Nowadays, GOG („Good Old Games”) uses a Steam-Wannabe-like installer. Of course it does not run on FreeBSD. So I installed a Windows 10 machine using sysutils/vm-bhyve, downloaded the game, copied it over using WinSCP and started it using emulators/dosbox. There are probably more simpler solutions using archivers/innoextract, but I have not tried them yet.

Here is a screenshot (no in-game, yet, as I have not yet dived into it):
screenshot_20220614.png

Interactive story: text adventures
Treasure Island (Windham Classics) on DosBox, running on FreeBSD.
ti.jpg

This game was written in Basic, then ported to classic PC platforms. I was into this game in the 80's.

Oregon Trail is another text adventure game, which a version of it was written in Basic, and ported to PC platforms. I wonder how close to this style that Lua and Python can get for this type of text adventure games.

games/open-adventure
advent.jpg

games/dungeon
dungeon.jpg

These games need understanding of in game vocabulary list commands to play them.

There are a few interpreters and emulators for text adventure games, though they are limited to certain game producers. games/dmagnetic is an interpreter for text games made by the company Magnetic Scrolls. games/frotz and games/zoom are for text games produced by Infocom for Z-Machines.

Last edited:
Scummvm for graphical adventure games
games/scummvm is for graphical adventure games, rather than text based games.

Fotaq (Flight of the Amazon Queen), in an above game in a previous section uses Scummvm. This is an interpreter for many graphical adventure games that can be used when the CD is owned. games/fotaq and games/bass (Beneath a Steal Sky) in ports are free to use with Scummvm.

Scummvm has replaced Sarien. Dosbox and Dosbox-x can also be used for games that adventure games that Scummvm can run.

With Scummvm, games are not limited to specific platforms, they can be played on any computer architecture than can run Scummvm.

Scummvm automatically detected my gamepad, when many other programs wouldn't.

Zelda like games and engines
games/egoboo
ego.jpg

games/freedink
freedink.jpg

Apart from individual games, games/hypatia_engine is to create adventure games. It uses Python and is MIT licensed. Hypatia is developed on FreeBSD. https://pypi.org/project/hypatia_engine/

games/solarus is another engine for this style of adventure games.

Text adventure environments
games/inform7 and games/tads consist of programming languages for interactive fiction. tads is also a game interpreter. inform7 is also a text adventure environment.

Graphical Textadventures
Here are screenshots from games/dMagnetic running Wonderland, Fish!, Jinxter, The Guild of Theives and The Pawn.
I must say that I do not like the start screen from Jinxter, the other Graphics are MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

You can play them online at https://magneticscrolls.net, btw. (Even though, they run on OpenBSD over there... ;) )

Attachments

• wonderland_firstscreen-2-lg.png
    wonderland_firstscreen-2-lg.png
    299.2 KB · Views: 60
  • fish_firstscreen-lg.png
    fish_firstscreen-lg.png
    411 KB · Views: 52
  • jinxter_firstscreen-lg.png
    jinxter_firstscreen-lg.png
    375.9 KB · Views: 46
  • theguild_of_thieves_firstscreen-lg.png
    theguild_of_thieves_firstscreen-lg.png
    278 KB · Views: 52
  • thepawn_firstscreen.png
    thepawn_firstscreen.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 63
Just today, I installed “System Shock - Classic Edition”. I bought it from GOG.com for $3.99, or so.

Nowadays, GOG („Good Old Games”) uses a Steam-Wannabe-like installer. Of course it does not run on FreeBSD. So I installed a Windows 10 machine using sysutils/vm-bhyve, downloaded the game, copied it over using WinSCP and started it using emulators/dosbox. There are probably more simpler solutions using archivers/innoextract, but I have not tried them yet.

Here is a screenshot (no in-game, yet, as I have not yet dived into it):View attachment 14254
This is a pretty old message so maybe things have changed since then, but on GOG it looks like you can download the games using a browser from the website as well.

At least, that is the case with Cyberpunk 2077 (GOG is CDPR) that you can download a manual offline installer using your browser and then try to run it in Wine or whatever.

games/scummvm has some overlap with other interpreters, as can be seen that https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/ shows games also covered by other interpreters, engines or other programs:
Notable adventure game interpreter not covered by Scummvm:
  • games/instead is an interpreter for adventure text games and novels from the 90's. Not sure if it has the text games that the description reminds me of. Don't have an idea if it will run the Treasure Island game which has screenshots above. Instead is not available on its original website, but instead is at github.

It seems that Scummvm is the most convenient way to play a wider range of adventure games. For certain text games, Instead must be used instead. A benefit of using alternatives to Scummvm, is perhaps when you want to use a program with a more permissive license than GPL, or if you are intrigued by individual projects.

Back