VirtualBox_FreeBSD 13_01_06_2021_00_36_21.png
    6 KB · Views: 130
  • VirtualBox_FreeBSD 13_01_06_2021_00_38_40.png
    VirtualBox_FreeBSD 13_01_06_2021_00_38_40.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 130
  • VirtualBox_FreeBSD 13_01_06_2021_00_39_31.png
    VirtualBox_FreeBSD 13_01_06_2021_00_39_31.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 114
Does your ABNT2 keyboard print those characters in xorg?

Maybe it's specific to your keyboard not working fully in console. Which brand and model is it?

i doubt, i tried more than 5 keyboards here

yes, it prints on the interface

edit:
for some reason worked with
Code:
hw.vga.textmode=0

hw.vga.textmode=0
Interesting. 'vga' gave the hint where to look. I could reproduce the situation. Apparently there is a correlation between VGA mode and displayed characters.

Your solution works, but the displayed characters are not that pretty. Better remove hw.vga.textmode and set the parameters down below into loader.conf(5):

/boot/loader.conf
Code:
Option 1:

screen.textmode=0

Option 2:
If you want a higher screen resolution and smaller font size set instead

vbe_max_resolution="n"     # Replace "n" with desired resolution.
                           # See loader.conf(5) for predefined values or set custom.

screen.font="nxn"          # For font size see /boot/fonts

ok, now
Code:
ã õ ç
are working

the alt gr keys are working with "¹²³£¢¬§ªº" (alt gr + 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 5 / 6 / = [ / ] ) symbols but no "/?°₢" (alt + q / w / e / c )

is there any way to upload something to patch this once and for all and ask to change the keyboard to abnt and abnt2 instead of braziliand and brazilian with accent keys on install?

Attachments

• 900px-kb_portuguese_brazilsvg_.png
    900px-kb_portuguese_brazilsvg_.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 113
no "/?°₢" (alt + q / w / e / c )

is there any way to upload something to patch this once and for all ...

You can file a bug report at https://bugs.freebsd.org and propose the extra characters to be included to the 'br' key map with the patch file attached down below.

It modifies br.kbd, AltGr + q / w / e to print / , ? , ° .

No cruzeiro sign. Unicode hex 0x20a2 for ₢ has no effect in console, only a rectangle is printed. The cruzeiro sign is not alone, many of the currency symbols are not displayed.

Attachments

• br.kbd.patch.txt
    991 bytes · Views: 115
Sorry if is a noob question but do you want me to include this patch in the bug report explaining the situation right?

Sorry if is a noob question
Don't worry, no problem at all.

do you want me to include this patch in the bug report explaining the situation right?
Yes. Please attach the patch to the problem report. After filing the PR drop a note here in this thread of the PR number. I will follow on bugzilla, contribute if necessary.

In the PR you can mention that the cruzeiro sign is not printed regardless of the correct unicode used (0x20a2). Maybe one of the developers are willing to look into it

I had a look at the source code but couldn't determine which files are responsible for the characters and currency signs printed in console.

You can file a bug report at https://bugs.freebsd.org and propose the extra characters to be included to the 'br' key map with the patch file attached down below.

It modifies br.kbd, AltGr + q / w / e to print / , ? , ° .

No cruzeiro sign. Unicode hex 0x20a2 for ₢ has no effect in console, only a rectangle is printed. The cruzeiro sign is not alone, many of the currency symbols are not displayed.
Could you provide me an alternate patch with the ₢ symbol even if it's not functional please?

Could you provide me an alternate patch with the ₢ symbol even if it's not functional please?
Sure.

But first I like to ask if 'AltGr + c' prints the cruzeiro sign or the copyright sign ( © ) ? I tried to get more information about this matter, searched also in Portuguese, and found those two variants about that key combination on a ABNT2 keyboard.

Also in Xorg 'AltGr + c' prints the copyright sign ( setxkbdmap -variant abnt2 -layout br).

Couldn't find any official information. Searched also on the ABNT web site, keyword 'teclado', it brought up http://www.abnt.org.br/pesquisas/?searchword=teclado&x=0&y=0 , but the files are behind a pay wall.

2. The keyboard is supposed to generate it

I'm not so sure ABNT keep the "Cruzeiro" symbol in the specification since it make absolutely no sense anymore. Btw, I don't know of ever a single ABNT-2 keyboard with it printed on it, otherwise the "¢" (cent) is in place.

[EDIT]

I just had a look and the actual ₢ (Cruzeiro) symbol was officially abandonned in 1967 when "Cr$" became the official, later "NCr$" (Cruzeiro Novo), and then the "Cruzeiro" died in 1994 when the Real (R$) became the official Brazilian currency.

So, without looking the ABNT specification this is more likely the correct character to print is ©, this is what mine one print and rather more useful than ₢ (unless you are writting some papers about the history of Brazilian currencies).

Correction:

Asked a lot of friends, this is what i have now: The keyboard IT'S SUPPOSED TO PRINT THE ₢ symbol by the ABNT2 standard, Windows prints this symbol BUT Linux USUALLY prints the © (probably because of what rigoletto said).

If i could choose, I think it would be better to print the ₢ symbol just because that is THE ABNT2 standard. I can totally understand the practical reasons to choose © symbol, but Alfredo said that both keymaps were ABNT2 based so...

It looks like on online computer hardware selling platforms the greater part of ABNT2 keyboards don't have a Cruzeiro sign printed on the 'C' key, but there are a few with it. Here an example: [1]

Patch with the Cruzeiro sign added.

Attachments

• patch-br.kbd-cruzeiro.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 155
It seems to depend on if the keyboard has enough keys for /

No / Key, has ° on E
* T-Daemon's link
* White keyboard in my github link

Has / Key, has € on E
* Black keyboard in my github link
* Computer generated layout examples

Back