Which book do you plan to read.

I don't bash religion. I bash abusive being offended.
I'm agnostic, meaning i don't consider myself to be in to place to be able to answer certain questions.
At the same time i believe everything ought to be discussed even atheism.
Discussion allow us to grow as a person and move society forward.

I agree with Grell. Can we please avoid any religion related discussion here? [FWIW this is why I deleted my inane attempt at humor earlier in the thread]

• Thanks
Reactions: _al
I became a monster while fighting monsters. I apologize.

Friedrich knew better so i changed my signature in honor of him.

Maybe i will read a book about his work if i find the spare time.

The developer of emacs was of the religion, unix commands have to do simple things very good. And then he developed emacs, which is everything except simple.
[And so I believe in neovim]

Richard Stallman – Saint IGNUcius, Church of Emacs

saintignucius.jpg

Warning: taking the Church of Emacs (or any church) too seriously may be hazardous to your health.

What is the official opinion on this matter? Is religion on/off limits? I was told not to have a Bible as my avatar which seems like a double standard if someone else is allowed to have a Christian cross with a prohibition symbol on it. I can talk to you about my faith if you'd like. I don't see the point in arguing about it on an Internet forum.

What is the official opinion on this matter? Is religion on/off limits? I was told not to have a Bible as my avatar which seems like a double standard if someone else is allowed to have a Christian cross with a prohibition symbol on it. I can talk to you about my faith if you'd like. I don't see the point in arguing about it on an Internet forum.
Note , the fact that you speak about a double standard inherently proves you want to argue on an internet forum.
But I would like to refrase the question as follow, does the need for an official opinion proves that adult&mature people are inherently not capable to reason ?

The official opinion on this is
The FreeBSD forums aim to build and maintain a friendly and co-operative user community. As such, you agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, political, religious, threatening, sexually-orientated or otherwise divisive or combative material, or anything that may violate any applicable laws.

Suggesting to remove Beastie from FreeBSD because "he is the Devil" is vulgar, slanderous, hateful, political and religious.

Well, if we are allowed to discuss religion (at least until this thread gets closed), I'll put in my two cents, since it seems like the other side has put in theirs (mind you all this is off the top of my head):

I believe in Jesus Christ, that He died on the cross for forgiveness of my sins
I believe in the Trinity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
I believe that the Bible is God's perfect, inerrant Word, in its original writings
I believe in Creation, that God created Man, Earth and the whole Universe, and that he did not use evolution to do so
I believe in a literal Devil, and literal demons under his command, whose purpose is to lead men astray from salvation through tempting them to sin

I believe that dying without Christ as your Savior will lead one to an eternity in Hell
I believe to receive the gift of eternal life in Heaven one must accept Jesus as Savior and repent (turn away from) from sin

jesus-christ-on-the-cross-crucifixion-svitozar-nenyuk.jpg

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven

Does this offend you?

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven
There are airplanes and helicopters, too.

I find it sick that you guys worship an instrument of torture, btw.

Does this offend you?
No, i have pity on you.

everybody has right on his opinion and worldview.
I wish you were right. But unfortunately, this right only exists on paper.

There are too much groups that censor free speech, burn the "wrong" books and want to mute people with other opinions.

Hi guys
On 2023:
Mythos: The Greek Myths Retold par Stephen Fry
Rome la fin d'un Empire (Rome, the end of an empire) by Claire Sotinel (in french)
and
Pensées de Blaise Pascal (1670)
Just to forget this sad universe

I like Haskell but haven’t done any serious programming in it. If you are comfortable with some mathematics it will be easier. My Haskell books are 15 years or older and there may be more recent online resources. This one sounds promising but I haven’t dug into it: https://lhbg-book.link/ This looks good too: http://learnyouahaskell.com/ I like language books that teach with examples.

Give Ocaml a try ?
Don't know - for me Haskell is sort of an intellectual pursuit of sorts. And despite having failed 3 times I still feel like I should get back to it - but definitely don't tend to stick around. Maybe it's just my approach that needs to be refined.
Didn't know that Haskell is still a thing. I'd start here: https://wiki.haskell.org/Learning_Haskell
Seems like a rabbit hole - too much material there haha.
I like Haskell but haven’t done any serious programming in it. If you are comfortable with some mathematics it will be easier. My Haskell books are 15 years or older and there may be more recent online resources. This one sounds promising but I haven’t dug into it: https://lhbg-book.link/ This looks good too: http://learnyouahaskell.com/ I like language books that teach with examples.
Have given lyah a try - apparently wasn't as good beyond the very basics.
Santa brought me "Absolute FreeBSD" 🎄
Reading this too - on and off.

And despite having failed 3 times I still feel like I should get back to it
Was it due to the books you used, lack of focused time learning it or something else? And why do you feel you should get back to it? There are so many intellectual topics you can pursue….

Back