Which book do you plan to read.

Was it due to the books you used, lack of focused time learning it or something else? And why do you feel you should get back to it? There are so many intellectual topics you can pursue….
If I have to be honest I think it's lack of self-discipline and focus .... although I did end up using a single book for the majority of the part. I feel like I need to get back to it because I like the succinctness .... some of the concepts I came to know about were also interesting (although I'm sure other languages also have them) like - currying, infinite lists, lazy evaluation .... Maybe I should give it another shot.

Yes, you're right - there are many intellectual topics - would love to be inspired to pick up something else! (at the expense of the current pursuit 🤣 )

I keep meaning to read the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. Has anyone read it? I have the first book, Red Mars, on my Google Play Books, but I was too busy being mentally ill to read it.

I recommend the Mars Trilogy (actually 4 books). It had some interesting characters and story lines. Also recommend other KSR books like the Three Californias Trilogy, Icehenge and Antarctica.

I have an opinion on the religion discussion but I would prefer to stay on topic of the thread and take the religion discussion to a different thread (assuming it is even allowed here).

Please enlighten us on your personal religion opinion. Atheist/Jew/Christian/Muslim, we are adult human beings.
Maybe i have another opinion, but that's part of the interesting part.

Will there be a civil discussion or will there be ad hominem insults being lunged at people? Because it seems like my views are not tolerated.

I already stated my beliefs, I have very little else to say about them.

People must feel safe to explain their beliefs without feeling like they will get attacked if they do so.

Alain De Vos: What do you believe?​

Wise question. I have here a book called "the scheme programming language". But it is too thick. Brevity is a nice asset.

Religion has no place on Earth at all. All this bullshit prevents the human race from living in peace together.

That is such a stretch that it's hard to believe you are being serious in saying that. I grew up Catholic, and in the Bible it says that it's wrong to steal and kill. So in my religion it was taught that you should not do these things because they are morally wrong. And if it happens, you should admit your faults, feel bad about it (confession) and try not to do it in the future. This are good principles to live your life by. I haven't been to church in 10 years (or longer), but even today as someone not overly religious there's still value in what religion teaches, as a model on how to live your life well and not end up in prison. This applies whether you follow your religion to a tee, or you are not religious at all. Nevermind the laundry list of all the other religions and what they teach that you have discounted, including Buddhism. And even if there was no religion at all, innate human nature would prevent the entire world from living in peace. That's a fairy tale. It will never happen. You talk about a package for removing a mascot being vulgar and hateful, yet insult other people's beliefs, and then change your profile icon to something that can easily offend devout Christians, and something that has no purpose other than to create controversy based on your own ignorance. Step outside yourself for a minute. I mean.. what is your goal here? This is a technical forum for an OS. To share info and learn, not just to berate people in the most unoriginal way possible. All this has nothing to do with FreeBSD, or even computers in general. And one more thing ->

Do you plan to read the Bible?

Do you plan to read the Bible?
I rip them to pieces everytime i see one.

ripping-paper-angry.gif

I don't think we'll come to a conclusion here.

You and i have very different views on that matter and there's no point to try to convince each other.

This won't work.

So hijacking a book thread is a better idea?
No. I think all this talk about religion should be deleted anyway.

This is a mostly technical forum, there are better places to talk about (violent) fairy tales.

I am surprised this thread hasn't been cleaned up yet, since it's clearly against the rules.

I have some books by Camus, Dostoevsky, Kafka and Molière that I'm reading. But there are books that seem very good to me but that I don't have yet, such as the following:

Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche
Parallel Lives - Plutarch
May - Karel Hynek Mácha
Either/Or: A Fragment of Life - Søren Kierkegaard
Critique of Judgment - Immanuel Kant

There is also a book I wanted to read but I forgot the title. I know that it is a book written by a Brazilian or Portuguese writer and that the story of the book has to do with Hamlet (Shakespeare). But I don't remember any more, and I haven't been able to find which book this is exactly.

Back