what bsd compilation is best for desktop pc update in 2021 ?

Hello ,

simple update.
the reason for my question is to receive some opinions what compilation of bsd is actual the best in 2021.
i know GHOSTBSD and that is the best from my actual knowledge.
freebsd is the best indeed , however in this posting i ask for a extended version with full gui and "desktop style" configuration in form
of a .ISO for operating system installation , based on berkleys BSD. the one for absolute enduser with no knowledge in computer.
is it still GHOST ?

SM

This is very opinionated, but I'd indeed assume so. At least, when suggesting portability fixes for emulators/emu64 upstream, I recommended ghostbsd to the upstream author (asking me a similar question), so he can test himself, and he was successful pretty quickly.

Still, I prefer "vanilla" FreeBSD. Installing and configuring some packages is a piece of cake, once you know the system.

Sorry, but "still on top" is (for example) FreeBSD: a general-purpose OS and a large project with many members and contributors, so you can pretty much take for granted it's still developed and maintained 5 or 10 years from now. And seriously, to be really happy with your desktop system, you'll have to learn how it works sooner or later anyways. So why not just do it upfront?

I'd be helpful for everyone is there was a maintained script in base that automagically setups of a destop, plus all ACPI and I/O stuff. Perhaps include a small section in the handbook for it too as well for everyone to refer to. The existing instructions in the handbook doesn't go far enough for configuring a desktop in a convenient fashion.

That, or have the installer do it for users. Hell, you can even setup WiFi in the installer apparently.

True, however it doesn't fit this criterion:

… .ISO for operating system installation …

The suggestion is a good fit with a parallel topic:

KDE Plasma

GhostBSD

… for absolute enduser with no knowledge in computer. …

GhostBSD is for sure still a valid option. …

👍
Whilst I have no complaint about its use of MATE, I'd prefer KDE Plasma. Unfortunately <https://github.com/ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src/issues/26#issuecomment-831759021> it's "kinda out of the scope of the project there is no one working on that version.". Fair enough.

Other works

Two names come to mind: Samuel Venable and christhegeek

You could try CultBSD
Just install the updates it should be a lot of them.

Hello ,

simple update.
the reason for my question is to receive some opinions what compilation of bsd is actual the best in 2021.
i know GHOSTBSD and that is the best from my actual knowledge.
freebsd is the best indeed , however in this posting i ask for a extended version with full gui and "desktop style" configuration in form
of a .ISO for operating system installation , based on berkleys BSD. the one for absolute enduser with no knowledge in computer.
is it still GHOST ?

SM

hello c.h.g. ,
do you know the system requirements for CultBSD ?
I'd recommend googling for CultBSD's website, and get system requirements straight from there. Besides, these forums are FreeBSD-focused, so naturally anyone on these forums would be pushing FreeBSD as 'best'. Admittedly, this is a biased opinion, but it's to be expected on this (or any other) bandwagon. We do have forum rules about discussing/supporting FreeBSD derivatives:
If you go to another forum (Like CultBSD's) to ask the same questions, you'll get the answer that CultBSD is the best - for the same reasons that we push FreeBSD as 'best' on these forums. I think that in terms of evaluating the desktop experience, ease of setup - Distrowatch is an OK gauge for that. But personally, I think that nothing replaces just sitting down, reading some reviews on setup, and trying a few things yourself. Just match your hardware specs to what you can find, and go have fun!

… .ISO for operating system installation , …

… it fit the needs.

Whilst helloSystem can be used to install FreeBSD <https://hellosystem.github.io/docs/user/components/utilities/install.html>, the more common use case might be live media without installation <https://hellosystem.github.io/docs/user/components/utilities/create-live-media.html>.

If you perform an installation, please be prepared to (at least) unlock drm-fbsd12.0-kmod.

1634861248996.png

Hmm... I couldn’t resist. FreeBSD w/Plasma would be my first choice closely followed by FreeBSD w/XFCE. While it doesn’t come as a selection of the installer, the handbook describes installing either, just fine. It takes me 5 minutes to configure the system for either and the longest leg is the downloading packages. The advantages of having a rock solid, supported base with hyperactive and helpful community far outweigh the convenience of a pretty install button.

Unfortunately, flavors of BSD without ZFS are pretty much off the table for me as desktops or servers. No way am I gonna sacrifice my sanity for sexy. That said, I still play around with OpenBSD for elegance and minimalism and NetBSD on embedded.

Hmm... I couldn’t resist. FreeBSD w/Plasma would be my first choice closely followed by FreeBSD w/XFCE. While it doesn’t come as a selection of the installer, the handbook describes installing either, just fine. It takes me 5 minutes to configure the system for either and the longest leg is the downloading packages. The advantages of having a rock solid, supported base with hyperactive and helpful community far outweigh the convenience of a pretty install button.

Unfortunately, flavors of BSD without ZFS are pretty much off the table for me as desktops or servers. No way am I gonna sacrifice my sanity for sexy. That said, I still play around with OpenBSD for elegance and minimalism and NetBSD on embedded.
NetBSD supports ZFS and has for some time.

hello c.h.g. ,
do you know the system requirements for CultBSD ?
I could run it very nicely in an older i3 with 4gbytes of Ram and intergrated intel .
Live might need 4Gbytes of Ram and it will work on intel and amd and many older radeon that needs radeonkms also it will run in not ancient nvidia gpus that can work with the latest freebsd nvidia driver.
I will make another release that will be lighter and smaller in size .
CultBSD was made from the start not based on other FreeBSD projects , the live is made with partially load some folders to ram. Its scripts , its text installer script and the simple Graphical Installer is made by me .
There are some things that needs fixing for example on my last release i forgot on the live some directories with files that won't be used on live anyway and also i didn't compressed the directories that are gonna be loaded to Ram only tar them. Also i must do a lot of cleaning so it can have smaller size but i will not sacrifice performance for an extra compressed tiny image.
There is room for a hell lot of improving but performance of the live image and the installed system is No1 priority.

About the filesystem .... well i use ufs , of course i could add some lines to the script and support zfs installation but this project is aimed for the Desktop user and its more likely the user wouldn't have a raid disk configuration .

- If you have an old pc with lower specs or if you have a really really old nvidia that isn't supported by the latest driver don't cry ! You can just switch to a terminal and just use the text installer ;-)
-Only one version of nvidia-driver can be installed so i chose the latest version this release with Plasma is not for really really old pcs

Back