Is it good idea to make FreeBSD videos on YouTube

I just opened a YouTube channel and started to making videos about Linux. Well I only got 2-4 views for videos haha. So my question is can FreeBSD community watches and makes comments to videos? Like I watched some videos that people were seting up zfs, partitions, desktop envoirements etc. so is that worths to do?

Edit:
I saw that one rule(Rule #1) saying dont do advertisement over freebsd forum so I removed my link. Sorry. You can warn me if Im doing something wrong

to promote websites other than your own personal (i.e. non-corporate and non-commercial) homepage or weblog
It's your personal Youtube channel, so it'll be fine. As long as you don't overdo it of course (i.e. start spamming the boards). If you've made a nice video about FreeBSD you're more than welcome to post the link.

It's your personal Youtube channel, so it'll be fine. As long as you don't overdo it of course (i.e. start spamming the boards). If you've made a nice video about FreeBSD you're more than welcome to post the link.
Oh yea I see. This is what is looks like. I can make videos about FreeBSD soon. Thanks for being interested in. I will send a link to forum when I done it.

I really like the concept of video tutorials, my interest for FreeBSD has been reignited after viewing Robonuggie's videos for example.
The truth is 95% of FreeBSD videos are installation tutorials.
I would like to see basic and intermediate to advanced tutorials about networking (NFS, Samba..) printing : how to print with lpr/lod...
- other Unix related tutorials are also welcome: groff/troff, awk/see.

aragats said:
Honestly, I never understood what advantages a video may have vs a good article.

If it comes to details you will always need written documentation. If you're looking for a general impression videos can be helpful. When I was considering an alternative to Xfce, I watched a couple of videos of other window managers. Were helpful indeed (ugly, way too heavy, config chaos). Still stuck with Xfce now, but I didn't have to try another one.

Honestly, I never understood what advantages a video may have vs a good article.
Advocacy ? I agree with you, regarding documentation. But youtube is where a huge part of the audience is, and probably the first place people go when they are hunting for a new OS/distro. When a Linux channel like "EF - Linux made simple", or a FreeBSD channel of high quality like Robonuggie's upload a video about FreeBSD, I'm convinced it attracts new users, which can not be a bad thing, since among them, a few are future contributors.

To me, watching any video is a waste of time ― doesn't matter if it's news, science, computers etc.
Not to insult anybody, just my opinion.
I agree with you personally, but I think it's just a generational thing. We're old, we prefer text. The YouTube crowd are young, and they're used to video content for all kinds of purposes (entertainment, learning, current events, commentary, …).

I gave thanks to aragats, but suspect that mtu is correct. It seems that most folks I know, whether technical or not, 30-ish and younger, prefer videos. I'm like many others here, I don't like sitting through videos. Also, for me, I don't learn very well from them, I much prefer text where I can reread without have to stop, go back, find the spot, replay, etc.

I much prefer text where I can reread without have to stop, go back, find the spot, replay, etc.
This is exactly the issue. In addition, I stopped watching because of the music. What is the purpose of the music? Does it add value to learning? No. So what value does it add?

Videos do not and cannot describe all technical details. In most cases, when one wants to show what an output looks like, a still image is better for reasons scottro mentioned.

To me, watching any video is a waste of time ― doesn't matter if it's news, science, computers etc.
Im thinking same. Best way to learn is reading text I believe. YouTube is better to done in one try. Sometimes people not putting all the informations and details to setup things to system(especially not very well known ones.). So to be honest when I first boot FreeBSD on my vm It took my 2 day to install it(hahahaha funny). Anyway, YouTube videos can be useful to not spending 2 days for only seting up system maybe

This is exactly the issue. In addition, I stopped watching because of the music. What is the purpose of the music? Does it add value to learning? No. So what value does it add?

Videos do not and cannot describe all technical details. In most cases, when one wants to show what an output looks like, a still image is better for reasons scottro mentioned.
Im doing same on my videos too. Im using musics because Im unable to talk or show my face on video cover. I searched YouTube's algorithms and I see it uses Deep learning level AI to understand video content and suggest on next video section. So I take a look at MarkoTasic's channel too. He uses different colored video covers with face and texts. He talks on videos to make his videos more understandable by humans and YouTubes Sound-To-Text algorithm. Anyway I guess I will continue to musics. Sorry for no-voice and camera. I learned more ways to make SEO better on video like using same text used in title in videos description too.

I released some other contents about Linux and Security yesterday. I think the best content I shared tomorrow was "How to fix segmentation error without source code | NO -ggdb flag"
Its about debuging binary without ptrace or kindda protection and nop'ing bugged area by assembly modding. This method must work on FreeBSD too.

I guess the first thing I share will be "HOW TO INSTALL FreeBSD" and I think I will do videos about porting Linux applications to FreeBSD later that with Linux Binary Compatibility and recompiling if possible(which needs to be open-source).

Among young hobbyists this may be true but I sincerely doubt any technical person would first think to do that.
That's an interesting topic. What a technical person would first do ? How much a hobbyist person can be technical ? From an advocacy point of view, what potential group of user should be the target ? Using which medium ?

I agree when it comes to video taping a screen while typing commands. For computer tutorials video is silly.
On the other hand I maintain my own vehicles and YouTube videos for car maintenance is invaluable.
The other day I had a wheel bearing making noise. So I looked on youtube to determine what is required to replace the wheel bearing. When I went to the parts store they tried to sell me the wrong part. But because I had a visual read on the part I knew it was wrong. So it saved me a return trip to the parts store.
In the old days I would have used a Chiltons manual for the car repair. Now its just another reference.

Im doing same on my videos too. Im using musics because Im unable to talk or show my face on video cover. I searched YouTube's algorithms and I see it uses Deep learning level AI to understand video content and suggest on next video section. So I take a look at MarkoTasic's channel too. He uses different colored video covers with face and texts. He talks on videos to make his videos more understandable by humans and YouTubes Sound-To-Text algorithm. Anyway I guess I will continue to musics. Sorry for no-voice and camera. I learned more ways to make SEO better on video like using same text used in title in videos description too.
You'll probably lose the target public for that, usually people that wants technical videos will hate music on that, specially the distracting ones.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
You'll probably lose the target public for that, usually people that wants technical videos will hate music on that, specially the distracting ones.
That would be a problem yea. Another option is completely silence or systems own sounds but that would be not very nice too. At least can be boring

That would be a problem yea. Another option is completely silence or systems own sounds but that would be not very nice too. At least can be boring
Being boring != being understandable. People hate distracting music because it takes off the focus offered by the video (I personally close the video when this happens, doesn't matter if it's the solution I'm searching for, I usually go search elsewhere). Use white-noise or single-instrument music if you want something at the background then.

Being boring != being understandable. People hate distracting music because it takes off the focus offered by the video (I personally close the video when this happens, doesn't matter if it's the solution I'm searching for, I usually go search elsewhere). Use white-noise or single-instrument music if you want something at the background then.
Good idea. I can use more relax musics(not like the latest video :D).

Is it good idea to make FreeBSD videos on YouTube ?
Of course it is and I can't see any reason why it would be a bad idea if you do it because you like the OS. I mean it can't hurt, promoting an OS through videos to show what could be done with it can only help.
Regarding the music or anything artistically related IMO one should do his own thing the way he likes it, and if it's different let it be because you won't make everybody happy whatever you do.
Relaxing music yes why not, plenty of them on YT.

Personally as hobbyist I enjoy discover things through videos(YT or asciinema), I don't take it as a full tutorial but more as a first step in I am fully aware that it's obviously impossible to be as complete as a documentation can be.

There are some youtubers very qualified and really good at what they do unfortunately there are also a lot of bad videos but it's also true for blogs so ... it is the same thing everywhere on internet nothing new.

Last days I tried to learn things about jails so I looked at 'bastillebsd' and 'cbsd' videos both made by their author. That way I can watch them in action and see the basics.
But If you are an IT guy I guess you won't look over YouTube for a tutorial, because excepted specific channels you probably are not the target anyway.

Back