Introduce yourself, tell us who you are and why you chose FreeBSD

Not helping!! 😂😂
Hehe.

Did you check out the thread that Jose pointed you towards in the "social" section? (easy to miss!)

It does seem like there has been some good progress made using the Linux compat layer. Still completely unsupported by Netflix themselves of course but I guess that is fairly typical.

Hehe.

Did you check out the thread that Jose pointed you towards in the "social" section? (easy to miss!)

It does seem like there has been some good progress made using the Linux compat layer. Still completely unsupported by Netflix themselves of course but I guess that is fairly typical.
Yes, I did read up briefly earlier today. I might give a shot, just for the fun of it hehe. Thanks!

Hi!

I started my computer geek lifestyle in the late 80's running DOS and later OS/2. Those were the BBS-days! When Windows 95 came out I lost interest in computers because I didn't understand anything anymore. In the early 2000 I used Linux Slackware, but as a desktop user it didn't work out for me. Word processing was way better on Windows.

A couple of years ago I got really really tired of Windows again (been there alot of times) and started rollin' Linux distributions. Gladly I found out that I no longer needed Microsoft office since Libreoffice works really well. Actually all the thirdpary software I needed was right there. Wonderful! At last I had hopes for running a windows free computer. But systemd bugged me. To complicated! I didn't understand it. So I started using Slackware again. Great OS! But a full installation gave me to many applications just sitting there. And the package management... Well upgrading isn't simple and snappy.

So I installed FreeBSD on a virtual machine and fell in love instantly. A short time there after I installed 12.1 (not 14.1, Been using Slackware to much i guess) on my Thinkpad 450s. It took me some time to get things working nice, but I now have a really really nice desktop computer with 12.1 installed. I use it mainly for word processing, presentations, meets, and the usual web surfing. And my students (im a high school teacher (philosophy/language)) seems to be impressed. Always nice to shine a little.

So I'm on the computer geek track again, and I enjoy it. Computers can be as fun 2020 as it was in 1990.

Thank you for a great OS!

Hi.
I'm a Linux user since 1999 but get bored with unstable or outdated distros. Never been fully satisfied with a distro. Now I'm trying FreeBSD 13 with a Asus Fx505DT Laptop. Except WiFi (rtl8821ce) everything is fine with MATE desktop (some minor KDE problems with shutdown/reboot not functioning so I switched to MATE).

Hello,
I have run Linux and Windows for the last 27 years. I would switch to whatever was needed where I was working. Recently I switched my own projects and daily machines over to FreeBSD, so there has been some learning. It has been great. Love the stability of FreeBSD and the speed. I actually look forward to using my boxes these days with FreeBSD running on them.

Hello. I am professional 3D graphics developer for Windows + Direct3D. Meet FreeBSD on my first job in university around 15 years ago. I was junior system administrator my university for one year. Since then and till recent years I busy completely with Windows making games.

Some time ago I my old HDD with valuable family data (mostly photos) stop working and I forced to use services of data recovery firm to restore this information. And this accident pushed me to think about making of home server which will be safe place for such data. I knew that windows server is not an option in any case, and I remember about FreeBSD experience (but actually remember nothing), so I tried fresh new FreeBSD installation and start learning from scratch.

And since then:
- I moved from simple consumer hardware to server grade components.
- Experiment with FreeNAS but drop it soon, and use original FreeBSD distribution.
- Changed home router to separate FreeBSD (OPNSense first, but change it after several days) server with several NICs.
- Setup by hand many selfhosted applications (mail server, nextcloud, gitlab, home assistant, emby and more)
- Made many jails and bhyve VMs that run Linux and Windows.
- Moved partially from 1Gbps copper wires to 10Gbps optic links in my house (this was one of the reasons of selfmade custom FreeBSD router with 10Gbps NICs)

Now I have in my home IT infrastructure 2 servers, 1 router and 1 PC for backups all running FreeBSD.
Turned out I very like configure, setup and experimenting with all this FreeBSD related stuff. It is hobby that completely unrelated to my job. I cannot move from Windows on client PCs, but have next step about setuping spare laptop with FreeBSD as desktop OS.

Well, I absolutely love freeBSD and use it everywhere I can.

I inherited a lot of Centos servers last year. Guess what happened to Centos recently?

Oh, and guess what's gonna replace all the Centos servers now, if I get my way ;-)

hello !

Let me tell you the long way that led me to FreeBSD today : First step in the early 90's on a Sinclair ZX81, I really get into computers on a Amstrad PC5086, intel 8086 CPU @ 4.77Mhz, 640Ko RAM, 40Mo hard drive. DOS 3.3, Dosshell & PC/GEOS, I started QBasic programming and I really enjoyed this computer.

After some x386 and x486, my first brand new computer : an intel pentium 133 MHz, cd writer, Windows 95, I really loved it for years, I began assembly programing. In the late 90's I started dual boot with Linux and C programing.

In the 2000's I definitely dump Windows, ran only Linux, mostly Redhat based distro (Mandrake, Mandriva, ScientificLinux, Fedora) for 20 years. Last time was Ubuntu :confused: Today I don't like the way Linux taking, no real root/usr difference, update create more issues than solved, too many distro which does nothing more, ...

For my new computer, an used workstation hp Z600 2x quadcore Xeon 16Go RAM, Nvidia quadro, this 20 years old dream become real today and for this dream machine I need a dream OS, that completely suits me, efficient, without useless sotfts and more close to Unix than Linux.

I hope FreeBSD is this dream OS :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello I am Factor
I am an old sysadmin. Born sometime between the AlohaNet and ethernet. Grace Hopper is one of my Hero’s. Please don’t tell me you don’t know Grace Hopper… My hobbies include 19th century culture, photography, gunsmithing and anything tech related. I also love language. I have studied Mandarin, Thai, Lao, Greek and Arabic only spoken. Also only enough to get in trouble. I am Greek by heritage.

I knew of FreeBSD about 3 decades ago. I studied it some then. I drifted with the masses and have been with Linux since. However, due to using an application that currently supports FreeBSD as an OS I gave it a try. Several other reasons for trying is my dislike for systemd seems to be growing as it grows, unity in the OS, the memory management, system tuning, security, the OS command logic, and so many other things.

Anyway I am nobody important just a regular guy.

Screen recording ? obs-studio
Good. Got it working, but need to learn it.

Screenshot from 2021-02-06 12-17-52.png

Its not difficult you can add filters to filter noise out of your mic,
you can use green screen with your webcam or you can create a mask to show only around your face .
You can have scenes for doing diferent things for example showing an intro on the start, then having some layouts or maybe photos websites etc

Here is my FreeBSD desktop video.

Hi!
I'm c2n. I work at a German-Australian Senior Solutions Consultant in the hosting industry with 14 years experience. My focus is virtualization (VMware), storage (NetApp) and cloud computing (hyperscalers).
As my nickname suggests, I started with Commodore systems and moved over to IRIX and Solaris in the early mid 1990s. I discovered Linux shortly afterwards (when Commodore Amiga went belly up) and OpenBSD in the late 90's. Eventually I settled on FreeBSD because it was a good mix of a consistent base system, clean command-line tools and a wealth of ports and modern technologies. I am passionate about advocating FreeBSD because I believe in diversity in the server market.
I run MacOS as a desktop system but have run a server running FreeBSD for years and I also run my home network with FreeBSD.
My secret escapist fantasy is starting a hosting business running FreeBSD with bhyve and ZFS.
I was a member of this forum in 2002 when it looked a little different to what it does now. Don't kow where my reg went :cool:
If you're wondering why I run MacOS and not FreeBSD as a desktop, it is because of Logic Pro X. Music production is a hobby of mine.

Hello folks,

In my quest for freedom I've been using GNU/Linux for some 15 years: Red Hat, Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, one thing lead to another... next thing I know is, I need to try something freer.

Now I'm just starting my journey through the world of BSD. Reading the handbook.
I like the cohesive and professional way in which the system is developed. Very appealing.

I look forward to my adventures in BSD land, with ZFS and all the excellent software available here, and presumably a great community.

There's one thing though, you daemons be careful not to get too close! You may go up in a puff of smoke or return whence you came...

Back