Solved KDE no longer responds to mouse clicks on desktop

To close down KDE I normally right click on a blank area of the desktop and select 'Leave' but as from this morning KDE does not respond to right clicks on the desktop. The problem only affects the desktop, all windows and taskbar icons still respond normally to right clicks.

One thing which may, or may not, be relevant is that I ran pkg upgrade first thing this morning with over 400 packages upgraded, many of which were related to KDE. This upgraded KDE from kde5-5.16.5.19.08.1 to kde5-5.17.0.19.08.2.

When I started KDE after the upgrade it displayed the splash screen for a while but in its final stage instead of displaying the desktop it faded out to a black screen with just a mouse pointer. I could move the cursor but it would not respond to any mouse clicks.

Fortunately I'd done the upgrade in a new boot environment so I was able to switch back to the old version and was then able to start KDE which seems to be running OK except for the new problem of right clicks on the deesktop not working.

By reverting to the previous boot environment I'm confident that all software is now in the same state as it was before the upgrade but my home directory is stored outside of the boot environments so it's possible that attempting to start the new version of KDE might have corrupted some configuration settings but I've gone through all the KDE system setting options without seeing anything which could cause the problem and I've grepped all recently changed files in ~/.kde, ~/.config and ~/.local but didn't spot anything which might be relevant. But it certainly looks like something wrong somewhere in my config because right clicks on the desktop still work as expected for other users.

The problem must have occurred for the latest batch of updates didn't include the newest version of x11/plasma5-plasma-desktop , so it remained in 5.16.5 version, as opposed to all the other plasma packages, thus causing issues.
I'll wait till the next update of the latest package repo to try upgrading again

The problem must have occurred for the latest batch of updates didn't include the newest version of x11/plasma5-plasma-desktop , so it remained in 5.16.5 version, as opposed to all the other plasma packages, thus causing issues.

I don't think that's what happened. Although I'm running on the earlier boot environment which uses 5.16.5 I still have the boot environment which has 5.17.0 where I can see that plasma-desktop was upgraded to 5.17.0
Code:
curlew:/# pkg info -x plasma-desktop
plasma5-plasma-desktop-5.17.0

It certainly looks like my config files got messed up when I tried to run version 5.17.0 of KDE.

In particular huge chunks were removed from ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc, for example the following section had gone:
Code:
[ActionPlugins][0][RightButton;NoModifier]
_add panel=true
_context=true
_lock_screen=true
_logout=true
_run_command=true
_sep1=true
_sep2=true
_sep3=true
_wallpaper=true
add widgets=true
configure=true
configure shortcuts=false
lock widgets=true
manage activities=true
remove=true
run associated application=true
showAppsByName=false

[ActionPlugins][1]
RightButton;NoModifier=org.kde.contextmenu
I've restored ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc in my 5.16.5 environment from an earlier working backup but the above items get deleted every time I start KDE. It looks like there's something somewhere in my config which is forcing KDE to repeat the changes introduced by 5.17.0

Oh, I assumed you were using the "latest" repo as myself. Sorry about that

(Jumping in sideways, on an A & B convo...) I tried using the "latest" repo. Worked fine until it didn't. Borked my DE 'cause apparently someone decided to temporarily pull KDE5 from the repo. Luckily I had a snapshot before upgrading. But I promptly went back to the standard (quarterly?) repo. 😁

(Jumping in sideways, on an A & B convo...) I tried using the "latest" repo. Worked fine until it didn't. Borked my DE 'cause apparently someone decided to temporarily pull KDE5 from the repo. Luckily I had a snapshot before upgrading. But I promptly went back to the standard (quarterly?) repo. 😁
Sounds like the problem I had after upgrading to kde5-5.17, it just went to a black screen with a mouse pointer after the initial KDE splash screen. This is a known problem (PR 241341) which has been fixed in plasma5-plasma-workspace-5.17.0_1 which is now in ports but has not reached the latest package repository yet. I'll wait a couple of days and try again when I can upgrade to 5.17.0_1

Back