FreeBSD Screen Shots

My Thinkpad T61 running FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p3.

I think my other T61 just died compiling ports...

View attachment 6110

My Thinkpad T61 running FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p3.

I think my other T61 just died compiling ports...

A thinkpad can never die ;) Robust machines ... compared to all my ASUS laptop machines, just 3 of them died ;)

Apps: icewm with xp theme, rox with xp theme, lkm for twin pan - world lightest twin pan, feh, ...

Icewm in action...
lkm-freebsd.png

Last edited:
Thinkpad T430 came back from RMA. Disabled the discrete graphics and using intel graphics only. First I followed this. After some issues I cleared all *.conf files and used sudo X -configure and moved the file to /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.d/xorg.conf. Apart from that I had to install /multimedia/libva-intel-driver and until now everything runs real smooth, apart from video output when docked, but semi-solved it by using it's native VGA output.

Thanks!! would you reccomend fvwm to a beginner btw..? I am a linux refugee who has not used a wm too much
I'm usually on a tiny netbook keyboard if that changes anything

Well, given its not-so-intuitive config, its extremely feature-rich and customizable nature, FVWM is not something I'd recommend to a OS beginner, as it would only add another layer of complexity and more documentation to study, preventing you from focusing on what matter most. However, nothing really hold you back from grabbing someone else's config, with the fvwm(1) man page at hand and start playing with it.

Yet, If you asked me what sort of WM I'd recommend to a beginner, that would definitely be fluxbox or icewm

Well, given its not-so-intuitive config, its extremely feature-rich and customizable nature, FVWM is not something I'd recommend to a OS beginner, as it would only add another layer of complexity and more documentation to study, preventing you from focusing on what matter most. However, nothing really hold you back from grabbing someone else's config, with the fvwm(1) man page at hand and start playing with it.

Yet, If you asked me what sort of WM I'd recommend to a beginner, that would definitely be fluxbox or icewm

Ok thanks

The Thinkpad X61 with 4:3 screen ratio that has served as my .mp3 player continuously for the past 306 days at the end of its current run. Shut down cleanly due to planned maintenance and a dead battery.

Demonstrating beyond a shadow of doubt the dependability and rock-solid stability that can be had from a FreeBSD laptop. 11 year old battery notwithstanding.

I had to laugh at that tedbell: I have to use Windows 10 at work and I am constantly cussing and fighting with its idiosyncrasies., plus those of the office suite I am also forced to use. I am always at peace when off work and logged into my FreeBSD machine :)

Back