FreeBSD Screen Shots

Here's mine

And the pkg upgrade output, which makes me think the entire list of packages above were not rebuilt. Hmmm.

View attachment 5971

Everytime a port is updated ports-mgmt/poudriere (and also ports-mgmt/synth) will rebuild every port depending on that to avoid failures due to ABI mismatch and similar issues; however the new built packages will just be reinstalled when necessary (like if ABI mismatch etc. happened).

Also, I see you are using 24 builders, and I guess you are using the ports-mgmt/poudriere default configuration which use one builder for each 'core'. That is good if you build thousands of ports every time, like the FreeBSD build system, if not you could reduce the number of builders and increase (a lot if you have a lot of memory) the number of jobs.

The right numbers to get the faster builds depends of your list of ports, and the amount of memory you have. For my desktop needs, with 24 cores I probably would start testing with something like this (depending of the amount of memory):

Code:
PARALLEL_JOBS=4
PREPARE_PARALLEL_JOBS=12

Cheers!

Thanks rigoletto! I have 96GB of ram so will take your suggestion on the configuration. I typically build around 200 ports, if there are a lot of updates. My core ports list isn't very big (~50 ports) but dependencies drive that up or course. Will let you know how the performance changes.

Increate the number of builders (aka PARALLEL_JOBS) usually don't help too much with not so great number of ports because you will often have just one port building due to dependency list, so probably PREPARE_PARALLEL_JOBS is the more worthy to increase; however I would also try increase/decrease PARALLEL_JOBS a bit during tests.

With 96GB of ran you can probably increase PREPARE_PARALLEL_JOBS a lot! With that amount of memory you will easily be able to completely avoid swapping.

Right - I have actually never hit swap on the build machine. I'll experiment with the PREPARE_PARALLEL_JOBS parameter to see how it affects performance.

Again, appreciate the suggestions!

Back to this place after a long absence. Gone are the days of collecting machines, upgrading and installing BSD's. One Thinkpad still runs FreeBSD 12.0. My Samsung laptop runs OpenBSD as always. Dual boot Linux and Windows on my main work Thinkpad. Will post screens from my BSD boxes later. For the moment, here's a Linux shot.

Distro - Void; WM - Fluxbox; Theme - Carbon; Font - PragmataPro overall.

Attachments

• 2019-02-02-235722_1600x900_scrot.png
    2019-02-02-235722_1600x900_scrot.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Currently just one, those are virtual desktops --- 10 of them. :)

OK. Virtual is really fine!

Have you tried tmux/screen/... using two monitors? Might be interesting experience... usually my left one has BIB manager and right one emacs or vim (all into screen - distant).
(With green or orange color of console, larger console fonts using vidfont, for eyes).

I had tmux on my home server but I rarely log into it, and when I do it is just to do some minor adm tasks, then I removed.

I use tilling WM, x11-wm/bspwm in particular, and so tmux doesn't bring anything really relevant. I indeed use ncurses interface for almost everything, and so I have tons of terminals opened everywhere all the time.

I had tmux on my home server but I rarely log into it, and when I do it is just to do some minor adm tasks, then I removed.

I use tilling WM, x11-wm/bspwm in particular, and so tmux doesn't bring anything really relevant. I indeed use ncurses interface for almost everything, and so I have tons of terminals opened everywhere all the time.

What do you do with your console?

I tried to move from ncurses to ANSI progressively, to allow easy CLANG compilation. Two monitors at least need to be console only.

Back