Solved Building Blender port with video editor enabled

Hi All

Although Blender is mainly used as a 3D creation suite it also has probably the best video editor available on linux or unix,
and the closest thing i have found to final cut pro

Unfortunately the video editor isnt enabled in the blender pkg,
im not sure if its a licensing issue that stops the video editor being enabled

It would be really useful if the Blender pkg could have the video editor enabled
then we would have a professional video editor on Freebsd to create content

but if thats not possible does anyone know how to build blender from ports with the video editor enabled
and if there are any dependencies like ffmpeg and lame that also need to compiled from ports

i have just set up Poudriere to build my own packages,
and would be more than happy to document the steps to needed to build blender from ports with Poudriere to enable the blender video editor

A lot of the other video editors for linux / unix are very basic and have a ui that looks like it hasnt been updated since the late 90s

Heres a video on youtube showing the blender video editor in action to show what we are missing on freebsd

blender video editor youtube demo

The place to ask this question would be the mailing list but I forgot which one it's in. You could also email the maintainer to ask him. You're far less likely to get an answer to this here.

The place to ask this question would be the mailing list but I forgot which one it's in. You could also email the maintainer to ask him. You're far less likely to get an answer to this here.
Cheers

I did look at the blender port page but it wasnt obvious from the config options what option was for the video editor
maybe the best idea is as you say to track down the mailing list or contact the maintainer

or i suppose the other option would be to try and run the config options for the port and see what can be enabled

showing the blender video editor in action to show what we are missing on freebsd
It works fine for me on FreeBSD using pkg.
What is the problem you are having exactly? Do you have it running in Video Edit mode?
At 3:23 seconds he shows you how to get into the video editor mode.
Here I opened two videos. One a mkv the other webm.
screenshot12.png

Hi Phishfry

You right i just installed blender and the video editor is enabled
Last time i looked i couldnt get it working cant remember why

Got it working now,
you need to make sure bit perfect audio isnt on or you dont get any sound with blender

Also you have to alt drag the video icons into the timeline

Back