Can't connect to anything

OK, but that is (essentially) the same. You have used your phone, which acted as an usb network card, and the machine worked. This rules out any configuration errors on the machine.
Conclusion: the alc(4) driver isn't working with the hardware you have.
No. not a conclusion. It worked before, like I said.

Update: I decided to go out and buy a USB network card, namely the ASUS USB-AC51.
Under the FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE release notes, it says that the card is supported by urtwn(4) which is why I bought it.
However, when I try to load the kernel module by typing in kldload if_urtwn, it's still not being shown in ifconfig.
Putting if_urtwn_load="YES" and legal.realtek.license_ack=1 in /boot/loader.conf didn't do anything as dmesg | grep -i urtwn still didn't output anything. Any ideas?

Actually no, I am on 11 RELEASe again
Convenient. Just a few days ago this was an impossible scenario because you had data on the server which you didn't want to lose. Sorry, but I find this a rather unlikely scenario and although I could be wrong I'm not going to take the chance that somewhere down the road suddenly some signs of -CURRENT surface again.

It's not just an issue of the topic being more or less against the rules, the most important reason (in my opinion) is that trying to help bugfix -CURRENT problems is pretty much a waste of everyones time. For the simple reason that there are too many unpredictable factors which cannot be ruled out, yet that's just what you need to do in order to try and solve problems.

Convenient. Just a few days ago this was an impossible scenario because you had data on the server which you didn't want to lose. Sorry, but I find this a rather unlikely scenario and although I could be wrong I'm not going to take the chance that somewhere down the road suddenly some signs of -CURRENT surface again.

It's not just an issue of the topic being more or less against the rules, the most important reason (in my opinion) is that trying to help bugfix -CURRENT problems is pretty much a waste of everyones time. For the simple reason that there are too many unpredictable factors which cannot be ruled out, yet that's just what you need to do in order to try and solve problems.
I backed up the data and installed RELEASE, but okay, you don't have to help.

I backed up the data and installed RELEASE, but okay, you don't have to help.
I do have one suggestion (but not directly related to the issue): start a new thread. This thread was all about the alc0 interface on -CURRENT. The new issue is completely different, even if you take my criticism into consideration.

Now it's about the ASUS USB-AC51 (and if_urtwn) on 11-RELEASE. A new thread might help attract more attention which might lead up to more answers. Just my 2 cents of course.

I can give some basic advice though. Your conclusion regarding dmesg is somewhat off. See here (omitted the less /boot/loader.conf command itself, it only shows (part of) the output):

Code:
# wifi drivers
if_bwn_load="YES"
bwn_v4_ucode_load="YES"

# wifi encryption
#wlan_wep_load="YES"
#wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
#wlan_tkip_load="YES"

# Bluetooth drivers
#ng_ubt_load="YES"
#ubtbcmfw_load="YES"

feliner:/home/peter $ dmesg | grep -i bwn
feliner:/home/peter $ kldstat -v | grep bwn
 2    1 0xc0e7c000 3cd7c    if_bwn.ko (/boot/kernel/if_bwn.ko)
                 2 siba_bwn/bwn
 3    2 0xc0eb9000 b134     siba_bwn.ko (/boot/kernel/siba_bwn.ko)
                 1 pci/siba_bwn
 4    1 0xc0ec5000 2bb9c    bwn_v4_ucode.ko (/boot/modules/bwn_v4_ucode.ko)
                 3 bwn_v4_ucode_fw
Note that using -v isn't mandatory, but doing so gives you a little bit more information. When in doubt go over the dmesg output manually ( dmesg | less), this is generally a lot better when trying to solve a problem than just aiming for specific snippets.

Back