Xorg configuration for Nvidia Geforce gtx 1050 ti

Hallo everyone,

I have some trouble with my Tuxedo DX1707, on Fedora and Ubuntu I needed to install it in CLI, then install Nvidia driver and start the GUI, otherwise it freeze.
With the upgrade from Fedora 26 to 27, NVidia driver stop working and I changed it to nv(4) driver, it worked like a charm.

Now I would like to return to FreeBSD, I installed: xorg, slim and lumina, how can I get xorg to work on with this configuration?
All my tests failed, with nv or nvidia, is it possible?
(I'm not a gamer and I prefer nv if it is possible ;) )

The nv(4) driver has some acceleration. But I would still recommend using the x11/nvidia-driver. Even for plain desktop work it will perform a lot better (moving windows for example).

Thank you for your answer, can you explain me how to configure it ? The default, linux and nvidia Kernel module in /boot/loader.conf isn't enougt

/boot/loader.conf
nvidia-modeset_load="YES"

You may need this too to be able to switch from X to console:
hw.vga.textmode="1"

Note that the Linux option of the NVidia driver is just for the driver to support the Linux compatibility. It's not required for the driver to function for "native" FreeBSD applications.

Thank you everyone for your help,
This are my files:

/boot/loader.conf:
Code:
kern.vty=vt

/etc/rc.conf:
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
slim_enable="YES"
kld_list="nvidia-modeset"

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-nvidia,conf:
Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "NVIDIA Card"
  VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
  Driver "nvidia"
  BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/screen-resolution.conf:
Code:
Section "Screen"
  Identifier "Screen0"
  Device "Card0"
  SubSection "Display"
    Modes "1024x768"
  EndSubSection
EndSection
Slim doesn t start, "start-lumina-desktop" failed, the log from Xorg say "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration"
(Thats why i added the screen-resolution file)

PS i never had a problem to configure FreeBSD with a cheap PC ;)

How can I test my screen? "xrandr" say no screen found

It detect 2 displays (but it has only 1) but none can be configure
No, it detects two outputs but doesn't detect a display attached to either one. Did you perhaps connect your display to an onboard video instead of the NVidia card?

Is this a laptop or a desktop? If it's a laptop does it have Optimus?

Slim can be a bit tricky to make work. You should carefully tweak /usr/local/etc/slim.conf.
Do you think the problem is slim ?, i alway configure it in my .xinitrc file and start slim with "slim_enable" in rc.conf but with this Laptop :/ i can't start a basic X11 session...
After searching 1 week it doesn't go forward.. I thoug me 2 days to make fedora Working after buying this PC :eek:

Try with something very simple like x11-wm/openbox

echo "exec openbox-session" >> ~/.xinitrc

Did you copy that or is that comma before conf a typo?

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-nvidia,conf

EDIT:

Btw, you do not need any of these for Lumina:

Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

Load it from /boot/loader.conf as I pointed before instead of from /etc/rc.conf:

You can also try nvidia_load="YES" instead. Or ever both:

nvidia_load="YES"

See Thread 57477/#post-327831

It is a Tuxedo DX1707

Ah, sorry. I read the first post at least twice, googled that brand even, and then completely forgot about it. Yeah, they claim Optimus support which usually means Nvidia's card is not physically attached to the display.

Back