wine wow64 and winetricks at x64 wine

Ok, when installing in home, this doesn't really matter, but also doesn't change anything about the need for it to be the same version, right?
Wine components talk to the wineserver instance through a versioned IPC protocol, so they will simply fail the check if there is a mismatch.

Anyways, not really the kind of solution that would excite me (which i386-wine isn't either, of course). What I'd like to see is being able to install both 64bit and 32bit binaries and libraries system-wide in /usr/local and have WoW64 work in that setup… and if possible, make the build less cumbersome, although there's probably never a way around using an i386 jail for that…
Like https://github.com/shkhln/freebsd-lib32-companion-ports? Guess why this idea failed?
We have i386-wine, thus not enough demand for improvements.

Well the thing is: FreeBSD managed to ignore the problem until it became largely irrelevant. Nowadays, some 32bit Windows software is probably the only reason someone could need some sane "multilib" (or how you'd want to call it) support in ports. And that's slowly vanishing as well…
So, I wouldn't expect any development in this direction any more. Still, having updated my i386-wine manually today, I see why this port has a maintenance problem.

Well, ironically a lot 64-bit Windows apps come with a 32-bit installer executable (the Steam client is also 32-bit bit, by the way), so ultimately this situation keeps most people from using 64-bit Wine altogether. Also, unexercised ports tend to be a bit wonky, which means users have an even greater initiative to stay away from it.

Well, ironically a lot 64-bit Windows apps come with a 32-bit installer executable (the Steam client is also 32-bit bit, by the way)
Yes, on Windows, you still have this issue. But that's what I mean, it's probably nowadays the only usecase for having some i386 support on an amd64 system. And even on Windows, this will come to an end eventually…

Thinking further about it: i386-wine actually could be a somewhat workable approach, if it would be possible to install an automated build pipeline for the temporary i386 package on FreeBSD infrastructure. As it is right now, leaving the maintainer with the burden to build these temporary packages for all supported FreeBSD versions and upload them manually, that's a horrible mess.

Now, I might try to find out how I have to massage this port to enable WoW64 with regular wine installed at the same time…

Yes, on Windows, you still have this issue. But that's what I mean, it's probably nowadays the only usecase for having some i386 support on an amd64 system. And even on Windows, this will come to an end eventually…
All I want is a robust 64-bit Wine port, and that still requires multilib to give people some initiative to actually use it. This might not be an issue in 10 years, but it's also not clear if we would still have a functioning Wine port by that point with all this neglect.

Thinking further about it: i386-wine actually could be a somewhat workable approach,
Forget about i386-wine. It's not better than installing an i386 wine package into a location in the home directory. i386-wine is just a messier version of the same trick. i386 wine also has a key advantage of having proper automatic builds, which is why I recommend it in the first place.

Forget about i386-wine. It's not better than installing an i386 wine package into a location in the home directory.
I strongly disagree on that. It's a workaround and maybe "okayish" on your single user system. For a sane solution, I expect to just install packages with pkg.
i386-wine is just a messier version of the same trick. i386 wine also has a key advantage of having proper automatic builds, which is why I recommend it in the first place.
Several things are messy there right now. I'm pretty sure they can be solved (although part of a good solution would IMHO involve a build pipeline…). I'm trying to figure out what has to be done to solve them. Currently, I have both wine and i386-wine installed at the same time, both working, but no WoW64 functionality yet. And it's too late to continue looking into the issue tonight.

I strongly disagree on that. It's a workaround and maybe "okayish" on your single user system. For a sane solution, I expect to just install packages with pkg.
And this somehow doesn't involve pkg?

Several things are messy there right now. I'm pretty sure they can be solved (although part of a good solution would IMHO involve a build pipeline…). I'm trying to figure out what has to be done to solve them.
I'm not sure why do you believe this a technical challenge. I can think of dozens of ways to package wow64 (quite literally, yes), but there is simply no demand for better solutions.

Currently, I have both wine and i386-wine installed at the same time, both working, but no WoW64 functionality yet.
Already explored there: https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=242625.

So you pretend not to understand what I mean?
I'm not sure why do you believe this a technical challenge. I can think of dozens of ways to package wow64 (quite literally, yes), but there is simply no demand for better solutions.
There certainly is. A solution for WoW64 in the ports tree, in a sane way, would be welcome.
You lost interest pretty quickly.

I played with maintainer-feedback just half an hour ago and got instant response. And reading his comments in your PR, they sound reasonable. Adding WoW64 seems clearly on the "wishlist" according to several comments, but it's not a simple change and there's always a focus on "getting things right", even if it takes a long time and quite some discussion. MakeMKV was on the ports wishlist and still it took me a year to get my port into the tree (because the port has to do pretty unusual things).

MakeMKV was on the ports wishlist and still it took me a year to get my port into the tree (because the port has to do pretty unusual things).
Hey, I've been quietly working on emulators/libc6-shim for almost 3 years before I proposed a port for it. I have more than enough patience. That i386-wine/wow64 patch has a pretty limited utility and it conflicts with my other ports to boot. You are absolutely unironically welcome to work on it.

JFTR, I didn't count time working on the port before submitting the first revision. But still, that attempt to get WoW64 working with i386-wine would have deserved more time, IMHO. Maybe I'll jump on that, let's see…

Back