Xfce Why do I have to install 3 different clang versions for Xfce?

Hi there,

After having a long discussion about future of the GNOME desktop, I decided to give a try to x11-wm/xfce.

Different components that come with Xfce (taskmanager, squeeze etc...) required different versions of clang to be installed as a dependency. Now I have clang33, clang35 and clang36 installed, which is insane!

pkg shows no packages that requires any of clang versions a a dependency (weird!)
Code:
root@fbsd:/usr/local/etc # pkg info -r clang36
clang36-3.6.2:
root@fbsd:/usr/local/etc # pkg info -r clang35
clang35-3.5.2_1:
root@fbsd:/usr/local/etc # pkg info -r clang33
clang33-3.3_9:
Why do I need to install so many clang versions?

pkg-info(8) only shows run and library dependencies, not build dependencies (they're not relevant for binary packages).

Check your port link. Squeeze doesn't depend on Clang at all.

Squeeze was made for Xfce, and depends on quite a few components of Xfce, each of which has its own dependencies, one of them being Clang. The different versions of Clang are probably needed to build different components of Xfce---dependencies that are determined by the upstream developers/distributors. None of the components depend on Clang to run. As soon as Xfce is built and installed, all versions of Clang can be uninstalled until Xfce needs to be upgraded (which is something like once every two years). This is normal---this is what happens when you build several dozen programs written by different people with different tools from source code.

For comparison, try building pandoc. It's a program that compiles to a single binary about 40 megabytes in size. But you need to build a couple dozen dependencies totally about 1.5 gigabytes of software to compile it.

I also tried to use Xfce with FreeBSD, but I had too many issues with it, so finaly it was removed.
(But who knows, may be you'll have better luck with it).
So I don't think that full gnome-shell replacement is exist. KDE? It's ugly and slow (IMO).
So, maybe, the best option we have, is to give a try to some lightweight window managers...
(Or x11/mate, GNOME 2 fork.)

I also tried to use Xfce with FreeBSD, but I had too many issues with it, so finaly it was removed.
(But who knows, may be you'll have better luck with it).
So I don't think that full gnome-shell replacement is exist. KDE? It's ugly and slow (IMO).
KDE also has started to show some singns of systemd dependency with Plasma....My personal taste for desktop envirenments finds KDE not so shiny (from the version 1.0 of it). But I will not go further than that on this topic in this thread ;)

This is normal---this is what happens when you build several dozen programs written by different people with different tools from source code.
But I use pkg to install software... If I pkg remove one of the clang versions, it does not complain about anything and carries on the operation....the next time I try to install a package, clang whatever-the-version-is just appears in the list of packages to be installed, which is kind of annoying (given the size of the package!)

When it was only lang/clang36, I pkg locked it, and worked around the issue. But I do not want to have 4 different versions of clang installed on my machine now (fourth one is the default version that comes for 10.3-RELEASE)

Please start a new thread for that. I've been using xfce for years on machines from 32-bit Atom to i7 with approximately zero problems.

Maybe I'll create it next time. I'm playing around with x11-wm/awesome now :)

By the way, x11-wm/awesome version that available in ports - 3.5.8,1, is outdated a little,
latest version is 3.5.9 that was released on 6 March 2016,
I edited
- PORTVERSION= 3.5.8
+ PORTVERSION= 3.5.9
and
SHA256 (awesome-3.5.9.tar.xz) = c7f8b5e4578751688d70ec8c410c55316e22bca8ec1195c622274f1f7254d64f
SIZE (awesome-3.5.9.tar.xz) = 723084
And it's working fine for me.
(Maybe it will be helpful for someone, I didn't found "Awesome wm" topic.)

But I use pkg to install software...

I did a test install of x11-wm/xfce4 using pkg(8), and didn't end up with any version of Clang at all. It was neither listed on the list of packages to be fetched, nor installed surreptitiously. Are you sure these packages appeared when you installed Xfce? Not as a result of something you installed shortly before?

Are you sure these packages appeared when you installed Xfce? Not as a result of something you installed shortly before?
I should have put it this way....I had the problem while trying to install some xfce plugins (such as x11/xfce4-taskmanager) ....

Not an x11-wm/xfce4 specific issue, but pkg(8) asked me to install lang/clang33 as a dependency for graphics/epdfview. Or, installation for archivers/squeeze listed one of the clang versions (cannot recall the exact port now) under "packages to be installed" section.

Either my pkg(8) database is messed up (I do nothing fancy, just daily use), or there is something wierd as lang/clang33 is not listed as a dependency for graphics/epdfview neither any of the clang versions for archivers/squeeze.

Back