Future of FreeBSD GNOME

Hi guys. I have a question: what will happen to GNOME 3.18 which no longer have any support consolekit? What they plan to make the team FreeBSD-GNOME?

regards

Ok, I hope it works well because the only environment that I like is GNOME, and, of course, I love FreeBSD. I would not want to stay without either.

I think we will not have loginkit port in GNOME 3.18 and 3.20 cycles. I didn't have much time and I didn't know anyone actively testing and developing it on FreeBSD. The version in ports still works with ConsoleKit by reverting ConsoleKit removal commits. In fact, the last version of GNOME that fully supports ConsoleKit is 3.12, and all later versions are supported by reverting upstream commits.

A rather old post but still worth talking about, so I am posting a reply.....

Have been a long-time GNOME user (from Gnome 1.0 days on a RedHat system) and enjoyed it so far... It seems that the direction where GNOME project is heading to will make integration of the whole desktop environment into FreeBSD ecosystem harder. To be honest, FreeBSD is not the only OS that whould suffer issues due to GNOME's decision to "integrate" the software with technologies such as systemd or Wayland.

https://www.gnome.org/technologies/

Some gnu/linux distibutions, such as Slackware Linux, are also in the list that will have issues with future GNOME releases.

If GNOME (any version) became unavailable to me, I would not be terribly disappointed. Looks nice for the family, but we get by fine with anything that is functional. Me and some other guys (for work and home use, FreeBSD or Linux) prefer x11-wm/xfce4 to be truthful.

Last edited:
Just FYI - Slackware dropped GNOME long long time ago.

Regards.

On Slack, some people think about Dropline Gnome. A peek at their website a minute ago tells me they're up to Gnome 3.14, and readying for 3.20 shortly.

It's not of much interest to me anyway. If my only choices are tiled/phone-friendly interfaces, I'll just continue to use i3.

I don't feel Gnome is getting any better so I don't see too much of an issue with keeping with our current version and letting it mature (i.e into a state that it all works). Actually, lets do better and go back to Gnome 2. That's what we all want anyway.

GNOME Shell is THE BEST :D
[offtopic]many people say hat they cannot change many options because its imposible with gnome-shell, BUT IT"S NOT TRUE, they just dont know how to do it. there is no such option in Xfce for example, which you can't configure with gnome-shell, JUST USE dconf-editor or gsettings from command line + extensions. gnome-shell is very customizible, but not like kde, because it's minimalistic and nice, not slow and ugly with thousand of 'settings' windows.[/offtopic]

If gnome-shell wouldn't avaible for FreeBSD, truly, I would not use this OS, even despite of that FreeBSD is Best FREE OS IMHO. But gnome-shell is my favorite and all time graphical shell on *NIX, so I can not imagine my desktop without it, I even have few own extensions for gnome-shell, I like the way how it work, interface, design... it will be such a disaster if I won't be able to use it with BSD --
linux-es with it's systemd and other... "features", distros... and all over again.

Last edited by a moderator:
GNOME Shell is THE BEST :D
[offtopic]many people say hat they cannot change many options because its imposible with gnome-shell, BUT IT"S NOT TRUE, they just dont know how to do it. there is no such option in Xfce for example, which you can't configure with gnome-shell, JUST USE dconf-editor or gsettings from command line + extensions. gnome-shell is very customizible, but not like kde, because it's minimalistic and nice, not slow and ugly with thousand of 'settings' windows.[/offtopic]

if gnome-shell wouldn't avaible for FreeBSD, truly, I would not use this OS,
even despite of that FreeBSD is Best FREE OS IMHO.
but gnome-shell is my favorite and all time graphical shell on *NIX,
so i I can not imagine my desktop without it, i even have few own extensions for gnome-shell,
i like the way how it work, interface, design... it will be such a disaster if i won't be able to use it with BSD --
linux-es with it's systemd and other... "features", distros... and all over again.

I agree with you. I was KDE user from first version but I lost interest after version 4. All the time I had/have installed and use Fluxbox too. I am using GNOME 3 now and I like it. As you wrote it is customizible and fast. What I don't like it is Evolution email client but there are other in the ports tree.

I am using GNOME 3 now and I like it.

Well enjoy it while it lasts... I hear those nuts at the Gnome labs have something very special waiting for you guys with Gnome 4... ;)

Something along the lines of a completely black screen to take simplicity (and fair accessibility) to the next level. Perhaps with sound effects that occasionally trigger when your mouse hovers over a button. The worst thing is that I bet people will still use it!
</FUD>

Well enjoy it while it lasts... I hear those nuts at the Gnome labs have something very special waiting for you guys with Gnome 4... ;)

Something along the lines of a completely black screen to take simplicity (and fair accessibility) to the next level. Perhaps with sound effects that occasionally trigger when your mouse hovers over a button. The worst thing is that I bet people will still use it!
</FUD>
I hope there will be option to disable all effect as I have now :) but there is still Fluxbox and/or Lumina is simple too and IMO better than Xfce.

I'm sort of on-the-fence about Gnome. There are some general things / concepts about it that I really like, but then others that are just a freaking complete disaster. Look what they've done to Nautilus. I'm perfectly ok with a clean interface that doesn't cram every option right in front of you, but it seems that some Gnome devs are outright hostile toward providing the ability to change things to suit a personal taste.

I don't put much stock in any DE, so as I see them moving away from trying to support anything that's not convenient to Red Hat's wishes, I don't really care much. I've been toying with the idea of trying out some tiling WM or maybe going back over to WindowMaker.

If you don't like nautilus, you can try x11-fm/nemo, it works fine with gnome-shell, or x11-fm/pcmanfm. I don't like complete GNOME 3 DE too, I don't need many of its apps and some of them I replace with something more appropriate for me, I always replace graphics/eog with graphics/viewnior for example.

But you do not need to replace many things, just install x11/gnome3-lite, it's a minimal GNOME 3 desktop with only basic apps.

So all I want to say -- you do not need to run apps that you dislike, you can always replace them, but GNOME Shell, not all GNOME 3 DE, is totally AWESOME. By comparison with other graphical shells, which are ugly, slow or reminds someones hobby -- gnome-shell is best (imho).

from trying to support anything that's not convenient to Red Hat's wishes
As I recall, RedHat actually saw Gnome 3 as a failure and unsuitable for release in RHEL 7. That's why they included Gnome "Classic". So I don't really know who's guiding the Gnome 3 project these days other than a herd of cats with very eccentric, eclectic and conflicting knowledge of usability and ergonomics.

That said, I find Gnome Classic better and one day it might catch up to Gnome 2... and perhaps even Windows 95 ;)

That said, I find Gnome Classic better and one day it might catch up to Gnome 2...
"Gnome Classic" == GNOME Shell, but with white theme and with few extensions enabled by default.

It's TOTALLY SAME THING, but with other gnome-shell theme, few custom gnome-shell settings, like clock bar on the right side and with two extensions, first "Applications menu", that enables classic applications menu (but GNOME Shell activities overview and applications overview are available too with hotkeys -- Super+S and Super+A), second "Window list", it adds list of all opened windows (you can enable both extensions with default gnome-shell via gnome-tweak-tool).

So you can easily create your own "Gnome Classic" with a default GNOME Shell and it can be even better than default one, just download gnome-shell theme, that you like, and add some gnome-shell extensions.

"Gnome Classic"
Снимок экрана от 2016-04-05 19-57-09.png

GNOME Shell
Снимок экрана от 2016-04-05 20-01-35.png

So if you like "Gnome Classic", then you like GNOME Shell. ;)

if gnome-shell wouldn't avaible for FreeBSD, truly, I would not use this OS,

I don't know where they stand now, but for a long time the goal for the GNOME project was to create its own exclusive Linux distribution, without offering support to any other Linux distribution or any other operating system.

While GNOME Shell works superb with FreeBSD -- there is no difference what is
the goal for the GNOME project
imho :)

And may be they'll create GNOME-BSD after all :D Who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you like "Gnome Classic", then you like GNOME Shell. ;)

Although Gnome 3 is still crazy out of the box without the classic "theme" (or rather, bunch of UI hacks), I see what you're saying.

However, I didn't go so far as to say I like it... just that it is on the right track to catching up with older / legacy technologies ;)
That said, I am very glad it is in ports since people like yourself seem to like it. I am perhaps just a little alarmed that it replaced Gnome 2 almost immediately (and before Mate was even around) even though it is in effect, a very different piece of software and desktop environment to Gnome 2.

I don't put much stock in any DE, so as I see them moving away from trying to support anything that's not convenient to Red Hat's wishes, I don't really care much. I've been toying with the idea of trying out some tiling WM or maybe going back over to WindowMaker.

XFCE was the last DE I ever used. Switched to Fluxbox 3 years ago. Not intending it to be permanent, but it did the job so well that I decided to keep it and have ever since.

I am very glad it is in ports
Me too! :D Big Thanks to the FreeBSD GNOME team!

Although Gnome 3 is still crazy out of the box
Yeah, it's pretty unusual :D But imho it's minimalistic, like FreeBSD :) -- you get a minimal "base"
and after you can tune it like you want and install on it what you want (dock or bottom windows list, hundreds of other extensions, gtk and gnome-shell themes...).

I use GNOME 3 but applications which came with it I never use. Nautilus? I never use, Midnight Commander do for me everything. Graphics: Geeqie, GIMP, Blender which I run under Fluxbox too...Midori, Mplayer...what I use is Solitaire :)) but I like how it works. If is KDE 3.?? still alive it will be my favorite.

Back