Which operating system forum or programming languages do you regulary read.

Over the last year I've noticed that I no longer visit any of the forums or boards or read blogs and generally don't read anything posted online. This forum is about as social as I get. I'm falling back into where I started years ago and only reading documentation that relates directly to what I'm working on. If anything, I might Google for a solution or answer to a question but, beyond that, not bothering with these mostly social platforms has freed my mind to concentrate on the task at hand when I don't concern myself with the opinions of anonymous posters whose information needs to be verified by other anonymous posters or through my own work. Invariably, my own work is the only real solution anyway so I just stick to that.

… Never, EVER use reddit as a reference for ANYTHING. (And I'm being nice.)

All things considered, I find it nicer there – in /r/freebsd – than here.

YMMV but if a person is so opposed to Reddit, it's highly unlikely that the person will ever begin to realise the niceness.

Last edited:
YMMV but if a person is so opposed to Reddit, it's highly unlikely that the person will ever begin to realise the niceness.
I haven't been there in years because I realized there is no such thing as niceness there.

Actually, the FreeBSD sub was one of the better ones but can't release itself from the random idiots that always post into every question at one time or another--sometimes months after the initial thread is started. It was always a vast waste of time and the only time I've been there is when someone linked me to it.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
… random idiots that always post into every question at one time or another--sometimes months after the initial thread is started. …

Maybe before my time, but that's now very far from the truth.

I occasionally use Never Ending Reddit (with Reddit Enhancement Suite) to bring five hundred posts into sight. If people truly behaved in the manner that you describe, it would be glaringly obvious.

… was always a vast waste of time …

If ever it was, it is no longer.

… no such thing as niceness there. …

Imagine such things being read by people from /r/freebsd who have not yet joined FreeBSD Forums.

people from /r/freebsd who have not yet joined FreeBSD Forums.
For which I am totally grateful.

Some time back, there was a post over there that sent a swarm of them to this forum which made a backlog of threads and posts that were quickly dismissed by users here or removed by the mods.

Maybe I should go visit to see what's going on now .... nah. Wasted effort. Waste of time. I value my IQ.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
All things considered, I find it nicer there – in /r/freebsd – than here.
Reddit makes it too easy for Linux users (and other casuals) to chime in, they are trying to be helpful alright, but they typically don't have any FreeBSD knowledge, which make /r/freebsd a completely hopeless place for any desktop questions. And for server/programming questions there are mailing lists, IRC, and, to some extent, Discord. Ultimately it's only useful for news and announcements, not for questions. Especially not for support questions.

… /r/freebsd a completely hopeless place for any desktop questions. … Ultimately it's only useful for news and project announcements, not for questions. Especially not for support questions.

Whoa. You're not describing the /r/freebsd that I know. There's a more than good balance.

<https://old.reddit.com/comments/l0g4zl/-/gjuf5dn/?context=1> a Linux bod politely corrects someone who's (justifiably) famed for expertise with FreeBSD; there's a polite thank-you.

I was perfectly satisfied with answers to FreeBSD virtualised on Windows 10 – or Windows 10 virtualised on FreeBSD (archived).

More recent <https://old.reddit.com/comments/mp9x6d/-/gucas2v/> helped me to discover a relevant bug, one that is (incidentally) sort-of show-stopping to my use of FreeBSD on a restricted access network.

And so on.

Last edited:
The flavor of the week.

Sing with me:
Anything Rust can do, C can do better.
I can do anything better with C.

Actually, when rust first came out, I saw some nice things about it. I just never found a reason to use it. When I find a few minutes to read about it, it's like learning a foreign language for the sake of learning it when there is no need or interest otherwise. And I quickly forget about it.

I used to check out lambda-the-ultimate.org for PL though it seems to be mostly quiet. Interesting discussions and references to papers. I keep an eye on new languages by checking their forums etc. E.g. nim, V, Julia, K etc. I never took a shine to Rust! I currently like V and should write some non-trivial programs in it to get a feel for it (IMHO this is the only way to really learn a PL -- until then you don't really know what things are easy to express, what are hard and what are some gotchas in the language). The main issue I have with newish PLs is that they all play in the same playground and not very innovative.

On OSes, I mostly check out papers these days. In the old days Usenet groups were good. If I hear about something new OS related I google and find related papers. I scan hackernews at least once a day as there are links to interesting articles and some discussions are good.

Though one has to wade through more and more of low quality/wrong/fluffy stuff before you find something good. We need a data "centrifuge" to separate the wheat from the chaff! IMHO there is still space for a "curated" internet.

For every one good reply I could find a hundred bad ones.

NPR (National Public Radio in the US) called Reddit, "A Frankenstein's monster even they can't control."
You have to read diagonal , try to locate some words, certainly not really read, skip the 99 bad ones, and read the 1 good one.

For every one good reply I could find a hundred bad ones.

If exaggeration is the order of the day: for every one good post in FreeBSD Forums (posts within topics) I could find a hundred bad ones.

NPR (National Public Radio in the US) called Reddit, "A Frankenstein's monster even they can't control."

Reddit can be monstrous. /r/freebsd is never so monstrous. It's terribly wrong to conflate in this way.

Last edited:
Actually, when rust first came out, I saw some nice things about it.
I think the language is great. Finally a "safe" C++. However I get up to the "Node Package Repository" style crates.io dependency system in the official book and realize it isn't going to be sustainable. Instantly lose interest.

Last edited:
Back