Which is your Favourite Linux?

Oh I do check that, heh, sometimes you can get lucky and either find something really cheap, or free if you're willing to come get it (Isn't that how Debian say they work? lol) But yea I look on there as well. Good score by the way!

And drhowarddrfine; Sooooo hate you right now lol. Not only getting to work for them but... 16???? God that's the age of consent here and considering what you got I think there was a yes from someone lol.

drhowarddrfine said:
When I first went to work at SGI, I called my boss to ask what kind of system he was getting me. I was hoping for a 4-processor system. "Four?!", he said. "I was putting you down for a 16-processor system."

I was the only one working out of the St. Louis office. I was in heaven.

DANG!! What was that, the desk side Crays they used to make :)

Some kind of Cray is on my want list...no idea what I even do with one but you never know when you might need one.

roddierod said:
DANG!! What was that, the desk side Crays they used to make :)

Some kind of Cray is on my want list...no idea what I even do with one but you never know when you might need one.

You could try thishere to have your own cray :) And I would wager it does not run Linux out of the box.

As simple desktop user I say Ubuntu 10.04&Kubuntu 12.04 It simply works most of time, only times I got any problems with Ubuntu were when I tried to make something in not proper way, like installing newer major kernel version for 10.04.

Yes it is bloated, and maybe does not give as much controll as you may want, but for desktop use it simply works, you can browse web, write, view videos etc. without problems. Even some gaming is possible by using wine, though for serious gaming I use Windows.

For gaming, I think the easiest experience I've had was SUSE 8.2, with an Nvidia Video Card, because I grabbed the .sh installer, shut X down, installed it, and then, when I brought it up, it showed the Nvidia screen, and I could play anything. That's the best experience I've had period.

I need some help and suggestions here. I'm going to reinstall my desktop system at work, it is currently running Ubuntu 11.04 and is outdated. I'm mainly a Python and Java developer. I need stability, and minimum noise. I've been using Ubuntu since 2004 and been very happy almost all the time (installed Kubuntu on my laptop last year as Unity and Gnome are too noisy for my taste). Currently KDE is my preferred desktop environment. I really like Kubuntu, but it is slightly more buggy than the latest Gnome2 on Ubuntu 11.04.

I really like the FreeBSD ports system. Mostly because I get quick and easy access to new software releases, especially apache, nginx, varnish, uwsgi, python, postgresql and so on. However FreeBSD's Java support is a bit rough and noisy. I prefer to download and install directly from java.oracle.com which works fine for Linux. Jails is also a plus. Is PCBSD a good desktop environment, is it possible to live with openjdk7 as a java developer?

So far I have found a few Linux options like Chakra and Sabayon. How do these two compare to Kubuntu? Or should I just stay with Kubuntu, it works fairly well though :)

I can't speak to Java as I only use Java as a desktop user, but I've been developing web applications using Python and hosting them for clients on FreeBSD for many years. Having embraced jails I wouldn't want to do without them now.

The road has been quite smooth but the odd bump or two along the way shouldn't be a surprise. Over the last decade I think I've run into just a couple of edge case differences between Linux and FreeBSD that required the development of minor patches to be incorporated into one or two third party Python packages. PyPy wouldn't compile on my machine for quite some time but does happily now. I don't use PyPy for work but do like to keep up with what's going on in Python land.

Occasionally for the WSGI ecosystem some new web server that doesn't support kqueue will show up; maybe I might not get to play with that code for a while. Again this I've not found to be a problem. Those are the only sorts of roadblocks I've run into over the years and none of them have affected what I do. YMMV.

Edit: Re-reading your post, recently I was in much the same place as you are today. Despite having used a FreeBSD based workstation for years to support my work I was toying with running Linux on my new desktop workstation, and on my laptop. I'd run Linux on laptops before but never for the life of a laptop; usually I end up on Windows as a primary OS dual boot with FreeBSD in case I need to do support work while travelling.

Before migrating off my old machine I've been putting a number of OS's (including FreeBSD and PC-BSD) and different configurations through the testing mill on the new fast box. After a week I ripped out Linux (had been running Mint, Debian edition on both) and went back to FreeBSD on both. I'd given a few Linux distros a workout and decided to check Mint out. Hardware support was excellent. ACPI suspend/resume worked flawlessly on both machines. Mint / XFCE / Debian Edition was light enough I probably could stomach keeping it but not knowing it decently well under the covers I didn't want to commit to putting all my work on it when my true comfort zone is FreeBSD, so I decided to give FreeBSD 9 (actually the 9.1 beta) another shot to see if I could get ACPI suspend/resume working. Somehow, and I haven't figured out what the magic sauce is yet, suspend and resume is now working well on my desktop. Resume continues to frustrate me on my laptop I have hopes I'll figure it out.

So after humming and hawing over this decision for a while I decided to keep the OS I already know on my desktop and laptop development/productivity machines. Since I deploy on FreeBSD servers and virtual servers, going this route is definitely the path of least resistance for me. I know FreeBSD well enough to be self sufficient in my own support or can find answers; I never feel like I'm out there at the end of a limb with FreeBSD. Linux represents a learning curve I'm not willing to invest in. At some level I have always been attracted to the nature of FreeBSD as a complete OS. It just feels tighter, like the commercial Unix I came from, so I continue to stick with it.

olav said:
I need some help and suggestions here. I'm going to reinstall my desktop system at work, it is currently running Ubuntu 11.04 and is outdated. I'm mainly a Python and Java developer. I need stability, and minimum noise. I've been using Ubuntu since 2004 and been very happy almost all the time (installed Kubuntu on my laptop last year as Unity and Gnome are too noisy for my taste). Currently KDE is my preferred desktop environment. I really like Kubuntu, but it is slightly more buggy than the latest Gnome2 on Ubuntu 11.04.

I really like the FreeBSD ports system. Mostly because I get quick and easy access to new software releases, especially apache, nginx, varnish, uwsgi, python, postgresql and so on. However FreeBSD's Java support is a bit rough and noisy. I prefer to download and install directly from java.oracle.com which works fine for Linux. Jails is also a plus. Is PCBSD a good desktop environment, is it possible to live with openjdk7 as a java developer?

So far I have found a few Linux options like Chakra and Sabayon. How do these two compare to Kubuntu? Or should I just stay with Kubuntu, it works fairly well though :)

This is just my opinion:

First off, PC-BSD is in my personal opinion, a GREAT Desktop OS; You basically have FreeBSD with a paint job, and some custom tools making the whole thing incredibly easy to use. I rarely EVER do this, but I'd go as far as saying that if PC-BSD stays on course, it WILL become a REAL contender to even Ubuntu.

The first time I used PC-BSD it was a while ago, so I don't remember much, but then PC-BSD 8.X and 9.X came out, and I LOVED it; I'm using 9.0 on my Laptop right now, and it's just SO easy to set up and use. I kind of wish sometimes that FreeBSD would do similar; You have sound and everything else working right out of the box; No editing /etc/rc.conf or anything!

For Linux distros that I personally feel are good for production use, I can name the ones I've used without any issues:

SUSE / OpenSUSE Linux.
Slackware
Debian
.... That's the main ones, but I DO admit that the last time I used Mandriva and Magei Linux, I had a great experience with both.

That's my opinion on it anyway. I mean, when it comes down to it, the main thing with ANY OS out there, is how YOU feel about it. I mean Linux has so many distros now it's hard to even keep up with half of it, and the BSD world, though not as "user friendly" at times, does have rewards you aren't gonna get in most Linux distros.

So basically, to answer your question about this, I'd say just to try stuff out, and when you come to something you like, a lot of people just stop there and don't ever keep going, and I personally would say keep trying anyway. I have a BUNCH of open source OSs here, and even though I LOVE SUSE Linux, I didn't just stop trying, I kept going, and downloading new ones to toy with, and after a while, I had a list of like 3 or 4 Distros that I actually used all the time.

I've been leaning more and more to BSD though, but I still use Linux as well. This machine dual boots Windows 7 and OpenSUSE, and works great, but then my Laptop, has PC-BSD on it, and then I have two Desktops running FreeBSD 9 on them, and then my FTP Server runs Slackware 12.0 on it.

So even though it's time consuming, I'd recommend looking at SUSE, OpenSUSE, (Either one really, though the Enterprise versions of SUSE ARE really sleek) And of course Debian is great, and Mandriva, though bloated at times, DOES have some very redeeming qualities in terms of how it's done. And Slackware of course is the old stand by it seems heh.

So basically, I'd say to try out a bunch, and then, make yourself a list; One that lists all the OSs you personally liked, and list the pros and cons of each one, and then kind of keep looking until you're absolutely Happy with it. That's my opinion on it anyway.

And also; Don't forget that Linux and BSD aren't the only thing around.

I've tried PCBSD for a few days now. And I have to say it's been a surprisingly good experience.
Most things works great, even JAVA(openjdk7). I've noticed a few bugs with Java though, but nothing more serious than googling to find the workaround. Though I still have some problems with Eclipse. I managed to install Eclipse classic, but I can't get the marketplace plugin to work and neither the springsource toolsuite plugins.
Netbeans do work though, it really lacks a lot of what makes Eclipse a superior IDE in my opinion. But I can live with this. I'm using QuickSynergy to create a seamless desktop integration with my laptop running Kubuntu so I can still develop using Eclipse ;)

attachment.php

Two screens with PCBSD and the last one is mylatop with Kubuntu. All with one keyboard and mouse :)

And Warden is some fantastic piece of work! When some of my CMS loving colleagues come back from holiday I need to show how easy it is to get a new CMS up and running with Warden! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20120725_123147.jpg
    IMG_20120725_123147.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 760
olav said:
However FreeBSD's Java support is a bit rough and noisy. I prefer to download and install directly from java.oracle.com which works fine for Linux. Jails is also a plus. Is PCBSD a good desktop environment, is it possible to live with openjdk7 as a java developer?
Have you tried to sidestep the issue by using java/linux-sun-jdk17?

mwatkins said:
So after humming and hawing ...
It's hem and haw. Don't make me have to read all your posts and have to correct you all the time.
Linux represents a learning curve I'm not willing to invest in. At some level I have always been attracted to the nature of FreeBSD as a complete OS. It just feels tighter, like the commercial Unix I came from, so I continue to stick with it.
This is my exact reasoning. When I have to mess with Linux, some things just don't feel right.

I don't really have a Linux favorite, altough I really like the good old stable 2.6! :) I have 3 GNU/Linux favorites though, Arch Linux, Debian GNU/Linux and Puppy Linux. :D

When I arrived at my current position, I found we had one website on CentOS and about 10 on various Winservers.

Windows for HTTP just seems *wrong*. And CentOS feels like a downgrade, but it's a tad closer to FreeBSD, so ... that's nice.

So, now, 1.5 years later, we have 3 sites on FreeBSD, two on CentOS, and few still hanging 'round on Windows.

But, it's progress, right? :D

kalle97 said:
I don't really have a Linux favorite, altough I really like the good old stable 2.6! :) I have 3 GNU/Linux favorites though, Arch Linux, Debian GNU/Linux and Puppy Linux. :D
+1 for humorous pedanticism!!

Life is too short to drink Linux

Currently, I haven't got enough skills to stay with CURRENT.
I declare myself guilty, who had to have both CURRENT and STABLE at the same time.
In the meantime... Life is too short to drink Linux.

For Servers, I've tried out a bunch of stuff. I have a copy of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition which I got for free YEARS ago, and I did install it on a Desktop system once to give it a try, and even though it was a lot faster than I expected, I didn't even bother trying to use it as a Server. I saw Windows Media Player installed by default, and thought to myself "Who in the.... Why would ANY company put THIS in a SERVER Product?!?!?!? A Media player on a machine that is going to most likely sit headless in a closet somewhere, and not only that but a Media Player that needs Security Updates that require a reboot?!?!? Uptime loving or not; Trying to explain to someone they can't use the Server because a Media Player was installed and needs to be updated and patched and then needs a reboot is stupid..." And so I didn't bother.

For my Server use though, I've used everything from Debian to Slackware, Mandriva, Red Hat and Fedora Core, which I hated for the most part, and SUSE, and Open SUSE, and of course FreeBSD.

My FTP Server currently has Slackware 12.0 on it, and has since 12.0 was still sort of new, so I haven't ever changed it, since there isn't a reason for me to. It works great, and I've gone through and taken out everything that I don't need to run the machine. It doesn't have X installed anymore since I didn't use that anyway, and I did leave a couple things on it like Compression tools, since this machine is used mainly for back ups, and I like to be able to use 7zip on it, and Bzip2, and log in over SSH and Compress things to save on space.

^^

IIRC on Windows server family Media Player is not installed by default. It is usually available on the add-on CD or via Service Packs.

Back to topic. I recently got my hands on CentOS. It's Red Hat EL minus the bloat. Great thing is there is something called minimal install. Good OS.

Well, it was a while ago, but I did a default install of it, and then saw updates for Media Player, which I looked though the Programs and found.

Talking of Linux...today I tried to remove postfix from a RHEL server and the package manager was kind enough to advise me that such a move requires removal of cron.

Or if I remove ATI driver then the entire xorg video driver meta package needs a removal.

How do people work with this sorry excuse of an OS called Linux?

Back