Which is your desktop environment?

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/55125/

If you use acheron's port above, it compiles very nicely. Really everything else you need to know to get it running is in that thread. I only had an issue with the following:

[...]

Other than that, everything works and compiles great!

Wow, great, thanks, I missed this thread! Reading it, I realise I was talking about another project which is mentioned in this thread, OpenCDE.

I'll give CDE another go, I'm curious to see if I still find it pleasant. Even though there's very little hope it will replace Window Maker and StumpWM, it would still be nice to launch it, from time to time.

Workstation: OpenIndiana Hipster 2017.04 (windowmaker / fvwm2)
Laptop: FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE (windowmaker/fvwm2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Workstation: FreeBSD 11 (windowmaker / fvwm2)
Laptop: DragonFly BSD 4.6 (windowmaker)

I must say I'm amazed by how many people use Window Maker here, while in general (at work and such) it seems like everyone has forgotten about it, or even never heard of it.

It's my favorite too. Using it on a FreeBSD 11 workstation and a NetBSD laptop. Used WM years ago for some time and rediscovered it a few years ago.

I switch between x11-wm/openbox and x11/lumina depending on whether or not I prefer GTK or Qt at the time of installation. Openbox has always been rock solid, but Lumina is offering an increasingly enticing user experience.

1. No workstation
2. Laptop 1 - FreeBSD 11 (KDE4) Dell Latitude e6400 (Learned to loathe newer UEFI models)
Laptop 2 - Win10, Acer Aspire something (wife now been using it)
3. Samsung Galaxy S7, HydraRom (MM, despise Nougat), rooted, firewalled. Mostly using it as ebookreader (gifted, did not buy it myself)

1.win 10 no internet(vmware xp for automation software)
2.freebsd 10.2 openbox and love it to bits (thankyou TAZ!!)
3. microsoft 8.1 works..news money and one note are awesome. apps pretty non existant

At work:
Several machines with Windows7

At home:
Computer of my wife: FreeBSD 11 with kde4
My computer: FreeBSD 11 with kde4 / FreeBSD 11 with plasma5 / FreeBSD 11 for testing several desktop environments
Notebook: FreeBSD 11 with plasma5 / Antergos with plasma5
our NAS: Debian GNU/ Linux (migration to FreeBSD follows soon)
our printserver: Linux with turboprint for printing in high photo quality
My smartphone: HTC one with android 5

On all machines with FreeBSD zfs is in use, my favorite filesystem since some months.

I have no mobile devices nor a workplace (actually, I'm looking for a job). But the work I do for college is mostly done in my home PC.

When I need something portable I borrow my parents notebook, which is configured to my tastes anyway. I chose Arch Linux with Xfce for performance reasons. Somehow I broke Xfce last january then installed LXDE.

My home desktop is a dual-boot Ubuntu 16.04 and FreeBSD. I'm currently running 11.0-RELEASE-p9. At Ubuntu I've installed Gnome Shell and Classic, as well as KDE Plasma 5. What I use, ironically, is Unity.
Gnome Classic reminds me of old Compiz-tweaked days with Desktop Cube and Skydome. However, my priorities right now are working skills and agile operating.
Once upon a time I had KDE Plasma 4 with three Activities, 9 workspaces each in 3x3 grids - then KDE5. Global shortcuts for Activity switching no longer works and adding Shift to Meta+Tab so to traverse backwards is not as good as it once was to bind e.g. Meta+{1..3} or Alt+{1..3}. Despite my criticism I still got Plasma 5 and even use it every now and then.
Gnome Shell is just there. I don't like it. I'm not even sure why I installed it. It pretty much forces one to Mutter and its oddities such as vertically-only linked workspaces.
On Unity, I have my basic 3x3 workspace grid, tweaked so I can wrap around its corners. From anywhere to anywhere with a single Ctrl+Alt+Arrow.

On FreeBSD I have multiple DEs installed as well. Here I can still use Plasma with x11/kde4 the way I described above to be my favorite.
KDE Plasma takes its time to load though. There are times I just want to do a couple of things then leave quickly. On these occasions, x11-wm/i3 is quite appealing but I have yet to get used to it. Also, I find it weird to be having a nice working flow with Alt+Keys, then Chrome. Or whatever application with little-to-no support for keyboard, mouse-less navigation. Switching from Alt+Keys to mouse kind of "breaks-the-flow". I can do it. I'd rather not.
In-between i3 and Plasma, there is x11/mate. Not too many features like Plasma has, but a lightweight alternative for i3. Very nice environment IMHO.

In the end it mostly boils down to describing tastes, so I described mine. It's not "wrong" nor "right" as a taste, not "better" nor "worse". Sorry for voicing such an obvious statement out loud, but it happened before in other places, for example, of people "accusing me" of "insulting their mouse preferences". Hope no one feels offended, it was not my intention at all.

1. My working days are behind me.

2. I started out using Fluxbox due to my low end machine and with the exception of trying out Hackedbox have continued to use it on all my BSD machines. I have on occasion used LXDE on Linux but am not a Linux or a Windows person. Minimization is what I like on a desktop although I do always keep at least one terminal and Xfe open for easy access due to frequency of use.

3. I've never owned a smartphone. I do have a flip phone with 105MB memory but rarely ever use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Work: FreeBSD 11 (Just cause I'm like that)
Home: Triple-Boot Kali Linux, Debian and OpenBSD (OpenBSD was just installed, fooling around with it as you see this.)
Mobile: Jailbroken iOS 10

… KDE Plasma 4 …

A few weeks ago I switched from Plasma 4 on TrueOS Desktop to Plasma 5 on FreeBSD-CURRENT.

Code:
root@momh167-gjp4-hpelitebook8570p-freebsd:/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos # date ; uname -v
Sat Jul 29 17:32:39 BST 2017
FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #0 r320869: Mon Jul 10 13:57:55 UTC 2017     root@releng3.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
root@momh167-gjp4-hpelitebook8570p-freebsd:/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos # pkg -vv | grep -A 20 Repositories
Repositories:
  FreeBSD: {
    url             : "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/latest",
    enabled         : yes,
    priority        : 0,
    mirror_type     : "SRV",
    signature_type  : "FINGERPRINTS",
    fingerprints    : "/usr/share/keys/pkg"
  }
  area51: {
    url             : "http://meatwad.mouf.net/rubick/poudriere/packages/head-amd64-kde",
    priority        : 5
  }
  poudriere: {
    url             : "file:///usr/local/poudriere/data/packages/current-freebsd-ports-kde",
    priority        : 7,
    mirror_type     : "SRV"
  }
root@momh167-gjp4-hpelitebook8570p-freebsd:/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos #

Resolved three problems: changing login background in sddm, getting akonadi to work and loading power management on startup. As a result, I have switched from kde4 to kde5 on FreeBSD.

Windows 7 at work (does the DE have a name?)
cwm (main box FreeBSD 11.1), i3 (netbook, FreeBSD 11.1), GNOME 3, MATE (family computers Fedora 26/27) at home
SailfishOS mobile (Jolla smartphone)

- PC Desktop: FreeBSD 11.1-p10 RELEASE (cwm/flwm) + FreeBSD-CURRENT VM in bhyve (no X)

- laptop: OI Hypster 2018.04 (fluxbox/fvwm2)

- laptop: NetBSD 8.99.2-current (icewm/2bwm)

- File Server (can't call it a NAS considering the hardware it runs on): DragonflyBSD 5.2 (Lumina)

- Rpi3: Void Linux amv7-musl (cwm)

- Phone: Huawei P9-Lite (stock buggy patched Android), trying to use only opensource apps from F-Droid

The last time I responded to this forum thread I was running FreeBSD 2.2. So, it seems I should add an update: I've homogenized all my GUI based desktops (except Haiku and RiscOS) to x11-wm/i3, just to keep everything clean and uniform.

Back