What kind of music do you listen to?

King Crimson (72-74 only Larks Tongues to Red and the live albums from that time)
Miles Davis
Alan Stivell (esp the live albums Dublin and A L'Olympia)
Mozart
Puccini

Ooh. almost forgot. Tom Lehrer.
Also Roxy Music. This could run and run...

I'm prefer classic (especially solo piano), some kind of rock(from classic to alternative) and some kind of metall (power, old heavy,..) music.

Nirbo said:
You and purple_q might like to check out the Australian Hip-hop scene. It's most of what I listen to. Terrafirma's 2009 album "Music to Live By" was so good. The Hilltop Hoods, Funkoars, and The Herd have always been great.

terra firma - nice ;)

These days it's whatever the jerks at the bar are playing. It's usually pretty bad, too. I got to hear "Dancing With Myself" four times one day.

Also, grocery store music. I think they play "Yackity Yack" 400 times a day.

Why sould someone just listen to one special kind of music? I know many people like that, mostly metallers, who think like that - but "normal" guys?

For my example, I hear sometimes Heavy Metal, then Trance/Trip Hop, then 'mainstream' pop, then Aggrotech, then goth rock...

Blackbird said:
Why sould someone just listen to one special kind of music? I know many people like that, mostly metallers, who think like that - but "normal" guys?

Once you really get what guys like Mahler or Bach were doing, I mean once it really really sets into your brain what they were trying to say & do, you should come to the sudden and vital realisation that rock & roll, hip hop, & whatnot are redundant. Beethoven used a 4/4 backbeat in his "Archduke" trio that Ray Charles probably weeps over when trying to emulate. Bach's "Brandenburg" concertos prefigured New Wave in ways that even New Wave never grasped.

I'm not saying that I don't listen to this other stuff, but yeah, there's no point in mooning over something that was done 400 years ago that some meat-head with a bad haircut is ignorantly recreating right now.

But I still like Johnny Cash, Neko Case, Einstüzende Neubauten, Glenn Miller, Al Hirt . . .

I listen mainly to baroque, metal, and country. I was into power and black metal about a decade ago; but stopped really following metal around 2003. I have no idea which new bands are worth listening to besides Mastodon. Older bands I favor include Blind Guardian, old Iced Earth, Arcturus, Rhoads-era Ozzy, Megadeth and the Gathering.

As for country, I used to hate it. However, we used to have a nearby FM station which played old country, such as Cash, Elvis, Roy Orbison, Conway, George Jones, etc. That kind of stuff is pure and fun to listen to, unlike the crap rolling out of Nashville these days.

Classic Rock is my favorite. There was so much emotion in the 60s and 70s that anyone could write songs with meaning. New music these days is all about appealing to the masses.

I like:

Massive Attack
Thievery corporation
Portishead
Miles Davies
Tool
Alice in chains
The Doors
The Mars Volta, At the dirve in
Parliement, Funcadelic, George Clinton
Greagory Isaac, Bob Marley/Wailers

an many more :)

Mostly I listen to vinyls :) So I am audio geek :)

Piotr.

Lacrimosa, Tristania, Marilyn Manson, Rammstein, Nightwish, Muse, After Forever, Epica, Tarja, Sarah Brightman, Emma Shapplin, The Kyoto Connection, Matt Uelmen, Howard Shore, Vitas, Kylie Minogue, Lady GaGa, And some other stuff ..

AudioMachine
X-Ray Dog
Two Steps From Hell

Will give you a headache after a while but some of the stuff is classed as "Epic" music and sounds very interesting.

The Classic music is the "law" but Frank Zappa is not so far too :)

emperor, tristania, nightwish, theatre of tragedy, opeth, cradle of filth, dimmu borgir, slayer, slipknot, nsync, michael jackson, backstreet boys, Every Little Thing, Aikawa Nanase, some Chinese oldies, Secret Garden, Yanni etc.

There is a FreeBSD group on last.fm.

http://www.last.fm/group/FreeBSD/charts computes the number of group's members who listened at least one track from this artist during the week.

So, it seems FreeBSD users listen to Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Gorillaz, Marilyn Manson, Linkin Park, Radiohead, Iron Maiden, Guns N' Roses, The Beatles, Massive Attack, Coldplay, Depeche Mode, Rammstein, Moby, Nightwish, Madonna, Green Day, Muse, Pink Floyd and Daft Punk.

And amongst things not so much listened by other last.fm users: Garbage (some rock), "Weird Al" Yankovic, Pakito (seems to be a French DJ) and Juno Reactor.

Porcupine Tree, Smiths, Pixies, Megadeth, Danzig, Disturbed, The Police, Rage Against the Machine ...

Back