What is your preferred science-fiction serie or movie.

Star Wars (technically not science fiction), ever since I saw the first in '77. From TV, Battlestar Galactica (the original series) and Buck Rogers (childhood favorites). Another big favorite SF series is Red Dwarf. And lets not forget the 8 part mini TV series; Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Alien, 1979.
Heck yes. And Aliens.

Its hard for me to believe Star Trek was made possible by Lucille Ball and Desi.
Nobody else wanted anything to do with it.
Desilu took a huge gamble.

I remember when Alien2 came out. I was really skeptical they could improve over the first.
I still plunked down the money and I was not disappointed. Worthy of a nice theater experience.

The Jetsons, of course.

jetsons.jpg

Battlestar galactica is not bad.

I’m big fan of “Star Gate”, “Stat Gate: Atlantis” and others shows from this universum. I think I watched most sci-fi shows that were produced after year 2000, but there is little good ones. “Battlestar Galactica” was ok, “Firefly” was great. Last two “Star Trek” movies were good too. “Star Wars” all movies and shows - and I enjoyed all.
I can bet no many of you heard of “Future Man” - great sci-fi comedy show.
Man I could go on… but this thread would become IMDb mirror.

Star Wars (technically not science fiction), ever since I saw the first in '77. From TV, Battlestar Galactica (the original series) and Buck Rogers (childhood favorites). Another big favorite SF series is Red Dwarf. And lets not forget the 8 part mini TV series; Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Heck yes. And Aliens.

Star Wars is a lame answer. I think the lore and such make it tolerable, but the characters I would want to see more of usually die off or lack enough depth when the appear cinematically. All that I'm left with is saber sounds, gripping fists, and running through metal corridors somewhere amongst some stars. Pick something more unexpected!

Futurama

180329_3692765_Captain_Bender_3000x1688_1198214723872.jpg

And Terry Pratchett in Fantasy.
I have no much use for fictive matters.

A good Science Fiction reflects the present ("What if we do not change anything")
and not placing (silly) ideas into people's heads seeking (dreaming) for a better future
instead of solving real problems in the real world here and now.

Let's make reverse science fiction:
People tend to say (as an excuse that science fiction produces good ideas [it does, but my point is neither to focus nor rely on that]):
"Leonardo da Vinci invented the helicopter."
No. He didn't.
Leonardo was a genius, no question, but he did not invented the helicopter.
If he did we already had seen battle choppers in Thirty Years' War.
What he had was an idea of how to get into the air by Archimedes' screw.
The (real) inventor(s) did not continue Leonardo's work.
Neither they had dragon flies as a role model (insect wings do not rotate.)
They took the aerodynamical force of lift and gave it another twist.
It's that simple as it may be dry or even boring.
But the one is reality, the other is stories.

Short:
Don't take it (too) seriously! :cool:

Futurama

View attachment 15189
And Terry Pratchett in Fantasy.
I have no much use for fictive matters.

A good Science Fiction reflects the present ("What if we do not change anything")
and not placing (silly) ideas into people's heads seeking (dreaming) for a better future
instead of solving real problems in the real world here and now.

Let's make reverse science fiction:
People tend to say (as an excuse that science fiction produces good ideas [it does, but my point is neither to focus nor rely on that]):
"Leonardo da Vinci invented the helicopter."
No. He didn't.
Leonardo was a genius, no question, but he did not invented the helicopter.
If he did we already had seen battle choppers in Thirty Years' War.
What he had was an idea of how to get into the air by Archimedes' screw.
The (real) inventor(s) did not continue Leonardo's work.
Neither they had dragon flies as a role model (insect wings do not rotate.)
They took the aerodynamical force of lift and gave it another twist.
It's that simple as it may be dry or even boring.
But the one is reality, the other is stories.

Short:
Don't take it (too) seriously! :cool:

GET TO THE CHOPPER!

Star Wars is a lame answer. I think the lore and such make it tolerable, but the characters I would want to see more of usually die off or lack enough depth when the appear cinematically. All that I'm left with is saber sounds, gripping fists, and running through metal corridors somewhere amongst some stars. Pick something more unexpected!
Star Wars is a huge franchise, spanning a few decades, which rather is difficult to summarily dismiss in a few sentences. The simpler answer is that you probably don't like it, or derive much from it. Lots of people don't, many do - it's all a matter of taste. Fact remains though, it's epic and has stood the test of time - and if you look into the production of the first 3 films and how they had to produce those effects at that time, it was pretty amazing. They also drew on previously unknown talent, took a massive gamble and it paid off. The US based toy manufacturers wouldn't even touch it, as it was expected to flop, so they had to head to the far east to get them made.

I saw some trailer of the latest Transformers film, which will be released next year. There are people on Youtube getting into hysterics over it. If you're not a fan of Transformers, if you don't understand it's "universe" and the multiple continuities, etc then you quite understandably won't "get" it. Same goes for Star Wars really - if you're not a fan, you may find one or two films or series passable, but that's about it.

I, for example, cannot see anything at all in Star Trek, except for the latest three films with Chris Pine (blasphemy!), but I know others do and that the "universe" and the tech is highly developed. I will say that I could tolerate the original series in small doses, but actually loathe anything from "The Movie", including "Next Generation" (which always seemed like a soap opera in space to me) up until Star Trek (2009).

I was a Star Wars fan since the early 1980s, then as the years went by, started to see all it's numerous flaws and didn't revisit it for many years. Nowadays (with age), I have a less snobbish approach - I can see that much of the sci fi which I at one point considered superior, was often very pretentious and has a sell by date. There is a lot more of this pretentious sci fi out there, less mainstream, far cooler to be a fan of that, but Star Wars has stood the test of time and despite it's commercial and mainstream nature was founded on a solid idea, has a highly developed universe and still has a lot more life left in it. Disney have also managed to do fairly well with it thus far (they destroyed Marvel), especially with serialised ones such as The Mandalorian and Andor (not so well with Boba Fett and particularly Obi Wan).

I would also recommend:
Blade Runner (1982)
Predator (1987)
Oblivion (2013)
Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
Interstellar (2014)
The Martian (2015)

As mentioned already in the thread - Alien (1979) and to a lesser extent Aliens (1986 - which was a James Cameron action flick, rather than a true sci-fi thriller/horror like the first). Later films in the franchise were poor imitations.

Back