What are you doing with FreeBSD?

I use FreeBSD 7.0 for my home server, serving files via NFS/SMB, running Apache + PHP + MySQL for the rare web development I still do, torrent daemon (BTG), sabnzbd, and mediatomb.

I use it for Desktop and server use.

I have one website running on a PII 300mhz with FreeBSD purring along fine with no slowdown or trouble even though the site is somewhat popular.

I also use it on the desktop for the usual - movies, music, email, browsing etc -- But I think that I will migrate to Linux for the desktop soon because of the absolute lack of a Flash plugin and my affinity for full-screen flash movies.

Sure they are not pretty but they are quick and useful :)

I use it for the moment only for my server, on my laptop it's not fully supported and on my desktop computer it always freeze, if not I will use it for desktop use :)

At present I am only using it for kernel development. Still running my own modified version of 6.1 as I haven't got the time to port my networking code up to anything newer. Must say how much more I like doing kernel development in FreeBSD than linux though, and soon my code might even be complete.....

I work for an ISP kind of setup and we use FreeBSD as UNIX platform for shared hosting, jails and stuff like that. We run ngnix, lighttpd for rails apps and apache for other stuff. Our anti-spam email gateway including smtp, pop3s, imaps services run out of FreeBSD only.

However, all databases (Oracle, MySQL and others) are hosted on RHEL / CentOS coz of their good support.

HTH

I have been using FreeBSD since 4.6. Came from Linux Mandrake on the advice of a friend. Never looked back. I am a home hobbyists.

Apache/MySQL/PHP for my web sites.
Samba for my family file sharing and such.
Postfix / Dovecot for my IMAP SSL email server.
Dynamic DNS with ISC bind and dhcp.

I have not jumped on the desktop replacement yet, but have toyed with it.

I'm using FreeBSD on my desktop/graphics workstation. I edit my photos using it and when school starts again in Fall, I'll do my papers on it. I'm also planning to create an electronic catalog system for my home library using PostgreSQL on the backend and either HTML and PHP or Python+Qt4 on the front end... If it's any good, I may even release it ;)

I use FreeBSD for gaming desktop, sever, router and for programming. 3 computer one running gnome2.26.2 gaming and programing, one running fluxbox for programing,router and try new stuff and one to run web and email server.

FreeBSD save my brain from microsoft.

mjkerpan said:
I'm using FreeBSD on my desktop/graphics workstation. I edit my photos using it and when school starts again in Fall, I'll do my papers on it. I'm also planning to create an electronic catalog system for my home library using PostgreSQL on the backend and either HTML and PHP or Python+Qt4 on the front end... If it's any good, I may even release it ;)

i did the same thing for all my CDs, dvds and old vhs movies.
i wrote it in python and Tk but i use a flat file db that i slapped together.

Home desktop

Like virtually all of the non-IT workforce, I spend my weekdays chained to Windows XP. At home, however, I'm using 7.1-RELEASE on an elderly Dell Latitude CP M233XT laptop. (Okay...stop snickering, already. There's a much newer machine in my home, but it's for family use. As the sole Unix zealot of the house, I'm outnumbered.)

Thanks to the design philosophy of FreeBSD, one can customize the OS to fit the hardware, rather than requiring the hardware to fit the OS. Even though I'm looking forward to getting newer, faster and better machinery, it is nonetheless a point of geek pride that I'm able to keep a 1997 laptop updated with a 2009 OS.

Even after I get my new computer, I'll probably keep the old one around just to see how long I can keep it current.:)

jimmy1971 said:
I'm able to keep a 1997 laptop updated with a 2009 OS.

Reminds me of my 1998 celeron 333MHz desktop. It has always worked fine with anything between FreeBSD 5.x and 7.2. Every hardware is supported and works perfectly. There's only problems between Xorg (i.e. not FreeBSD's fault) and my video card, so I use VESA instead.

On the other hand, Win9x has power management problems and sometimes fails to shut the machine down and both Win9x and Win2K lack drivers for the sound card and NIC.

some of the services i'm running on freebsd include several firewalls, a samba server, http servers including apache and lighttpd, sendmail, NTP, openfire IM server, sftp, nessus, nagios, mysql, and of course a few sand boxes. i also have a few site-to-site vpn connections using ipsec which runs on top of the firewalls.

MartijnAtLico said:
I'm pretty curious what the audience is here, so if you feel like it please describe what your primary use for FreeBSD is. Are you a kernel hacker, curious Linux user or a Fortune 500 sys admin?

I administer a couple FreeBSD servers (Nagios, http proxy, data crunching for perl programmers) for a small department within my organization. Nothing too major.

I continue to study FreeBSD and look for places at work where I can squeeze it in to projects.

I put PC-BSD on my eee just for the fun of putting the big 4 ('nux, 'nix win & mac) on such a small beast. I now find they all do/don't do different things, so specific use is emerging. When I discovered that (at the moment), the Jaunty rt kernel won't let OOo install (or even exist if set up on a different kernel), I moved all my family and career admin, plus the design of my web-site over to the BSD partition. When I set it up, I didn't think I'd use it much, but I love it and am now wondering which other machines I can run it on.

Here's a quickie list of my systems.

1. old PC - FreeBSD 7.2 - Home Server with 4 jails
2. old PC - pfSense 1.2.2 - Firewall and wireless AP
3. old laptop - FreeNAS 0.7RC1 - My 2 terabyte storage solution
4. old laptop - AskoziaPBX 1.0.3 - Home PBX and VoIP solution
5. old laptop - FreeBSD 8 - for testing purposes
6. new laptop - Windows Vista
7. Kinda new PC - Windows XP
8. Amiga 3000 - it is connected to the network :e

fleshm said:
Too bad 64 bit geforce drivers haven't been released by nVidia and I'm stick with 32 bit version.

Cheers :)
That should changes, I know that there's been quite a bit of progress on that in recent months, and from what I gather most of the necessary changes are in HEAD.

Personally, I use FreeBSD for most of my desktop needs, with Win XP running in virtualbox. The only time I really log into Windows is when I need 3d graphics or am working with photos. It's a shame that as of now there isn't really any support for color profile hardware in FreeBSD.

i've been using freebsd 7-stable for one year on my lenovo laptop (perfectly supported) for things like music, quake 3 :p, video editing and projection, as well as software development or engineering studies... i've tried ubuntu, arch linux, debian and opensuse, and none of them will ever be able to replace this wonderful system! also, i run windows xp in virtualbox, but i really never log into it

in the future, i plan to migrate my home server (files, internet and mail) to freebsd (it's running fedora). at the moment it's not under my control...

Back