Solved VLC stream to TV

I've used a TV to play DVD's and free streaming before, from FreeBSD and HDMI. No one has mentioned Blurays on FreeBSD in a long time. There were few mentions that it worked on a future version, and latest media player. Then, after that, I didn't hear about it anymore, and that was years ago.

It's ok, but sometimes, I want to use the remote, not keyboard, or the screensaver comes on sooner in the middle of a movie/show. Or, I don't want to be distracted by the desktop, and only watch movies/shows/streams. A desktop is also more limited than a Roku Stick, bc it has its own free content, and other free content won't play on FreeBSD.

They want to set up a streaming media server. I would like to see examples of that, and that compared to other ways.
You can set up VLC on FreeBSD as a multimedia server, and use the VLC app on your phone as remote, all on the same wi-fi network :p. Yeah, that will limit you to whatever movies you downloaded via bittorrent to your own storage. Anything outside of that - no need to fuss with FreeBSD, just play with Roku stick. :p

Just use the TV as a replacement monitor for the FreeBSD box, something wrong with that???
Nope, nothing wrong with that at all. A lot depends on exactly what the OP means by "streaming". My guess is that he is asking about a way to get video from a computer to a TV without having to plug in a video lead. I was responding to his comment that what he asked didn't seem to be possible to him, despite a number of working suggestions including a direct answer to what he asked, ie "streaming" video over the network from VLC to a TV. So I summarised the options he most likely was looking for.

Nope, nothing wrong with that at all. A lot depends on exactly what the OP means by "streaming". My guess is that he is asking about a way to get video from a computer to a TV without having to plug in a video lead. I was responding to his comment that what he asked didn't seem to be possible to him, despite a number of working suggestions including a direct answer to what he asked, ie "streaming" video over the network from VLC to a TV. So I summarised the options he most likely was looking for.

Casting would nice as well.

In that case, you need to check if your Sony TV is capable and follow the guidance from Sony. It's not a FreeBSD or VLC issue. Knowing Sony, you'll need to be running their app to succeed and I very much doubt they have a FreeBSD version of it. Even Sony, it that guidance, the first suggestion for "streaming" is to use an HDMI cable.

Is casting like streaming from a FreeBSD machine, but to a larger network? Or was that another way of saying to stream through DLNA? I don't understand the reference to casting, and how it would be different than streaming.
check if your Sony TV is capable
DLNA for receiving streams over an Ethernet network.
Even Sony, it that guidance, first suggestion for "streaming" is to use an HDMI cable.
That's a loose definition of streaming. The word streaming brings to mind using an Ethernet network, not an HDMI cable.

They're trying to use DLNA over an Ethernet network. I've used HDMI to make my TV a monitor from FreeBSD, and played movies/shows over it. That's easy to do, that's like a regular monitor; they're trying to do something more. I also want to see how that works and looks.

Bluetooth as a remote control on FreeBSD would be cool. I've had a game controller which the Bluetooth part didn't work on FreeBSD, but it worked with my smart phone. I could use the direction controls to scroll more smoothly on my phone display. I'm not counting on Bluetooth functionality for newer input hardware on FreeBSD.

MHL is basically using a USB to HDMI connection. The only addition it provides is charging a device, such as a phone, while it's connected. Perhaps the cable does everything, and is also connected to the wall. There's also screencasting, but I don't see how that's much different than a simple HDMI connection, except by passing the HDMI connection, and using another connection in its place.

multimedia/kodi (XBMC) is interesting, as it uses DLNA plus has lots of other capabilities for multimedia.

Back