Very unhappy with FreeBSD 13 MOTD

touch ~/.hushlogin works here on at least 2 systems running 13.2

man motd also indicates that /var/run/motd is created from /etc/motd.template on system boot,
talks about the motd service controlled by rcvar update_motd. Put update_motd="NO" in /etc/rc.conf and reboot.

So disable your motd service, reboot, /var/run/motd should be empty.

Man I have to type faster, everyone else beat me to it.

The line for sshd_config: that's good, that works across all users. Of course, touching ~/.hushlogin on the remote system also works. touching ~/.hushlogin on local system then ssh to a remote means you get the remote motd.

PrintMotd isn't going to do much (may be counted as a bug) as we now have /var/run/motd, and not /etc/motd sshd is looking for.

Code:
$ strings /usr/sbin/sshd | grep motd
/etc/motd

[here goes a page full of facepalm emojis]

ramib please provide exact output of what's bothering you to get correct answers, we couldn't have guessed that you are looking at something different than MOTD :D

fortune(6) has been part of ~/.login for a very, very long time. There's been only one major change in all those years, it now only shows freebsd-tips. The other catalogs have all been removed from the base but can still be installed through ports/packages.

FWIW, I actually like the freebsd-tips, it's an interesting read...

If I get a useful nugget of info from that once in a while, I'm happy.

It doesn't get in the way of me using FreeBSD, doesn't take up much space... so I didn't even give it much thought. But reading this thread has been a hoot, I learned a bit. 😂

Just a tip for people that likes fortune(6):
games/cowsay
Code:
{beastie} @ FreeBaSeD-T430 > /home/beastie
 → alias
beastie='cowsay -f daemon "$(fortune -as)"'

I put the beastie command in my ~/.zshrc so he can speak to me every time I open a terminal or login in a tty.

1681922365533.png

PrintMotd isn't going to do much (may be counted as a bug) as we now have /var/run/motd, and not /etc/motd sshd is looking for.
For the record, this is wrong, I missed the fact that sshd uses login_getcapstr() looking for "welcome", and it's correctly set to /var/run/motd.

Did everything and its still there, doesn't matter will just ignore and that's it. so annoying
I posted a solution earlier in this thread:

Reactions: mer
That's at the bottom of the post. Maybe you are looking at something else?
Maybe, but OP finally talks about "fortune" being the issue and everyone else offering MOTD solutions based on the title and descriptions so I stand by my "there was missing information". You can disagree and I'm fine with that.

Also essential from the addison wesley series:-

[The Practice of Programming by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike

And

THE STANDARD C LIBRARY by P.J. Plauger ]

And somewhat later:

Software Tools in Pascal
by Brian W. Kernighan and P.J. Plauger

Which I bought c.1981 and rendered lots of those tools firstly into Tiny Pascal (ss originally published in Byte magazine in '78 and later released as Tandy TRS-80 Pascal) for which I'd built a P-code virtual machine for the Signetics 2650 micro, based on 8080 P-machine code kindly supplied by the authors Chung and Yuen.

That was a lot of fun, apart from highly educational, with that book providing a solid basis for 40 years of work.

Back