Using FreeBSD as Desktop OS

kpedersen

Son of Beastie

Not quite, Quake and Quake 2 default to arrow movement. MDK is similar as well. So, it took roughly 2-3 years at least.
Yeah they certainly defaulted to it but +mlook found its way into many config files for Quake 1. I think it was default in the quakeworld client (a few years later).
What I can't recall is if the original WON version of Half-Life also defaulted to arrow keys or if you had to customize it.

knightjp

When it comes to desktop environments on open source systems, I've always had a soft spot for KDE. However, I will agree that it was bloated, but in a good way. There was a reason. You could not have that much customization and functionality, without it being that way.
I would liken it to the Porsche 911. A car with the engine in the rear. Back in the day, having a fast 911 was dangerous; If you didn't know how to handle it. So getting its full potential and using it at its peak performance levels was only available to a select group of people. One reason why most manufacturers have been using front or mid engine layouts.
But for the past decades, Porsche has been stubbornly working on this that now, the 911 is basically the benchmark that we gauge all the other would-be sports cars on.

For me, this is KDE. KDE has given us so much in terms of customization and choice, it needed to have it all. The developers wanted it all. But it became bloated and it was slow. It was ridiculed; stating why do we have all of this stuff that we don't need. We need minimalist DEs, faster ones like XFCE, etc.
I like XFCE. If I can't run KDE, that is my DE of choice. But much like the Porsche engineers tinkering with the idea of the rear engined sports car, the KDE developers have been tinkering with their DE and in recent years have managed to chip away the bloat and still retain all the same functionality; to the point that many reviewers are saying its comparable to XFCE in terms of system resource usage. That is pretty impressive and hereby makes my top choice as a DE benchmark that all other DEs should be judged.

Running FreeBSD as a desktop seems to becoming something that I may have to do within a while. I've been running a Hackintosh and MacOS on my system because it works the best for me. With the recent announcement from Apple moving over to their own chips, it would seem the days of the Hackintosh are numbered and I don't want to invest in a new system. I'd much rather save up and get a good Apple silicon mac soon.
But in the mean time, what do I use on my current hardware? Well FreeBSD would be by choice. And so comes this video...

View: https://youtu.be/RO0wOW6_u-A

Although he uses Linux, I would be looking to replicate it on FreeBSD.

meine

I've been running a Hackintosh and MacOS on my system because it works the best for me.

But in the mean time, what do I use on my current hardware? Well FreeBSD would be by choice.

When you like a Mac-alike DE and FreeBSD at the same time, maybe LIVEstep is something to look at:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOzMgMj72zw&feature=youtu.be

christhegeek

FreeBSD with Kde Plasma right now is at least two times faster than the latest Manjaro Kde Plasma release !!!
Lol everything runs slower in manjaro even if it has newer nvidia driver , also everything feels snappier on freebsd from launching applications to using video editors ,office, programming compiling etc.
The only thing that really makes me ungry is pkg downloading its just slow and with constant delays between downloads, please solve this issue.

Alexander88207

Aspiring Daemon

The only thing that really makes me ungry is pkg downloading its just slow and with constant delays between downloads, please solve this issue.

This is still an issue on your side, please check your DNS settings or try to use an DNS server outside of your provider.

If you think its a problem of ports-mgmt/pkg, create a bug report here.

christhegeek

Tried both,
last time i tried to use google's dns and i think it got better i think i have nearly no delays now but ofcourse the download speed is not ok not for the year 2020 for the year 2009 is fine :)

This is still an issue on your side, please check your DNS settings or try to use an DNS server outside of your provider.

christhegeek

Also installing freebsd on an Efi Only bootable Laptop with Amd cpu , Vega Gpu is hell i tried many times with many switches and settings so i can make it work !
Afters searching on the web i finally succeed configuring it ,everything works touchpad, graphics,wifi,sound but it took me too much time i'm gonna backup this installation with dd just to be sure i will never have to do that again !!!!!