TWM - Tab Window Manager

I've never been much of one for taking deskshots, but I took one a few years back of my TWM for a different forum where people were talking about different WMs they use, only with the intent of proving there are people out there somewhere who are content rollin' with TWM. I love the console and ncurses, so, not jaw dropping, but home sweet home.

http://www.queuevonqu.com/mydesk1.jpg

I like that weird, flushed out green that was default on my TWM so I left it. Most of my usual apps up and running, except links to show off the beauty of the text-based goodness (I usually use Opera). In the bottom left corner, I have a borderless, permanently affixed xlogo with a borderless wmcube on top for good measure :)
If you look at my nifty commentary in the nano window, you'll find the slogan for all TWM lovers (yeah?)
"If we were meant to use "icons", we'd still be writing in pictographs!" I even left in my doofy typo: Have fun twice :stud
--Q

alriode: its fixed. I changed account types to add phone and they werent suposed to change it :(

It wil stay at this now tho :)

Unless I move :))

Very nice one. And when I see people calling "that green thing" ugly, I can only but think they are sooo ignorant... sheesh!

I installed twm and xterm on my FreeBSD. I found the speed of output in the xterm is very slow, for example, when I use pkg_info, 241 packages, the result took a long time to fully appear. Is it caused by inappropriate configuration of dirver?

many thanks

Yesterday I installed some packages, and it has 253 packages now;

For example, when I use [cmd=]time pkg_info[/cmd] in the xterm , the time it takes is 9.21s:

5394285617_fd90f8607d_b.jpg

But when I covered part of it, the speed is much quicker. It is 1.43s:

5394285687_d642043d80_b.jpg

I do not know why :OOO

Daisuke - thanks for the link - any chance you could post some of your configs? I love all the color ls stuff - would like to know how to achieve what you have in the two shots?

I can't Believe no one brought up Enlightenment. I can't be the only cat on the block who thinks that's awesome can I? Heh. My first exposure so something non Windows, and basically, first time trying out Unix like stuff, was when I bought "Teach Yourself Linux" that 24 hours or less book from SAMS publishing (I have the FreeBSD one too now) and basically, it came with KDE, and Open Linux 2.2 or something from Caldera, the jerks from SCO.

Anyway, I didn't know.... I didn't know crap man lol. Anyway, after that I bought Mandrake Linux 7.1 or something like that, and then I used KDE again, and didn't even realize there were others. Eventually I got SUSE Linux 8.1 Professional, and that was when I finally got my break, and could get online with Linux, and try new things. I saw Gnome, Window Maker, and TWM of course, since SUSE actually cared about that stuff enough to include it much unlike RedHat which I still hate.

Anyway, I bought the "BSD PowerPak" which came with "The Complete FreeBSD" third edition, and FreeBSD 4.0 on CD-ROM. When I finally installed it, I was pretty amazed at just how different it looked (The non GUI boot up screen on BSD is way different looking than Slackware's is what I mean by that) and anyway, I eventually started installing all kinds of Window Managers.

I thought it was the coolest thing, being able to log in, select a Window Manager, and if I didn't like it, log back out, select another one, and keep going.

I still like KDE, and I do like Gnome, just not as much, and then, I saw TWM, FVWM2, FVWM95, FVWM-Crystal, Enlightenment E16, and, then, on Slackware, I found a little Archive of E17. When I installed E17 for the first time, my jaw was on the floor at just how Beautiful it was.

I generally use these:

KDE
Window Maker
Enlightenment (Any version, they look amazing either way)
FVWM / FVWM2 / FVWM 95 (Sometimes) / FVWM-Crystal
Gnome from time to time
TWM sometimes
OpenBox / Hacked Box / Black Box / Flux Box (rarely)
XFCE once in a while.
AfterStep

I could go on, but basically, I use quite a few Window Managers to say the least. I Honestly don't get how anyone could ever be like "Oh I only use Such and such Window Manager" because to me, one of the coolest things is the fact that I can log in, load up something like GDM, log in from that, and while doing so, select which Window Manager I want to use, and if I don't like it, and the Configuration and Themes don't make me like it still, I can log out, pick another one, and keep on going until I find one I want to use.

I LOVE Enlightenment. I'm so glad it has a File Manager for itself now too. To this day, I always find myself going back to Enlightenment, but I basically use Window Maker, KDE, Enlightenment, FVWM stuff, and AfterStep. Those are probably what I use the most.

I still have yet to take the time to really work out ow to configure FVWM based Managers, but I love the way it works either way.

I'd switch to xmonad, if not for 2 things:
  1. When you switch to float layout.... it sux
  2. Java GUI apps aren't displayed properly (You only see white window)

Other than that, I very much like xmonad (use it sometimes)

gore said:
I can't Believe no one brought up Enlightenment. I can't be the only cat on the block who thinks that's awesome can I? .......I LOVE Enlightenment. I'm so glad it has a File Manager for itself now too. To this day, I always find myself going back to Enlightenment

I'm a fan of e16. Used it post fluxbox/blackbox days at the beginning for about 6 years and still do on occasion. This thread is about Tom's WM. TWM is a pretty niche software at this point. It's cool to see how those who have customized it have.

Daisuke_Aramaki said:
Was using twm for a while on a very old box last night, and gave into nostalgia. So this is ctwm on my eee running freebsd 7.2

Daisuke!!! Please post your configs, that looks so cool

Re:

cpcnw said:
Maybe I am really sad - Lol!
Graham's TWM Page!
http://212.159.115.167/twm/twmrc.htm
Hey, I know this thread was last posted a couple of years ago... But I wanted to thank you for your page and your configs.
I've noticed a couple of things about .twmrc:
1) When using commands in menu configuration it has problems parsing long commands. For example:
Code:
menu "Progs" {
"Progs" f.title
"MyWINEprog" ! "env WINEPREFIX="/home/kostya/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/kostya/.wine/dosdevices/c:/MyProgram.lnk &"
}
Now in this example the long command to launch a Win32 binary run by wine is too long for TWM to swallow, so the "Progs" Menu just doesn't open up in this case. What I found to work is put the long launch command into a bash script and use syntax like:
Code:
"MyWineProg" ! "sh ./myscript"

2) x11/vdesk utility is fine, so in addition to a menu command to go to Desktop 1,2,3... in your .twmrc, I also added one to move a chosen window to one of these desktops, like this:
Code:
"Move To Desktop 3" ! "vdesk 3 `xwininfo|grep 'Window id:'|awk '{ print $4 }'`&"
After which you only need to click the window you want to move. Otherwise, it can be added to window functions menu in a slightly modified version:
Code:
menu "WindowMenu"
{
"Window Ops     " f.title
"Vertical       " f.zoom
"Horizontal     " f.horizoom
"Left           " f.leftzoom
"Right          " f.rightzoom
"Top            " f.topzoom
"Bottom         " f.bottomzoom
"AutoRaise      " f.autoraise
"Refresh        " f.refresh
"Kill           " f.destroy
"Move To Desktop 1" ! "vdesk 1 `xdotool click 1|xwininfo|grep 'Window id:'|awk '{ print $
4 }'` &"
"Move To Desktop 2" ! "vdesk 2 `xdotool click 1|xwininfo|grep 'Window id:'|awk '{ print $
4 }'` &"
"Move To Desktop 3" ! "vdesk 3 `xdotool click 1|xwininfo|grep 'Window id:'|awk '{ print $
4 }'` &"
"Move To Desktop 4" ! "vdesk 4 `xdotool click 1|xwininfo|grep 'Window id:'|awk '{ print $
4 }'` &"
}
This way the option to move selected window to Desktop 1/2/3/4 is added to the window context menu and doesn't require additional clicking, because the very selection of the window in question will be understood by xdotool as a 'click'. Yes, it requires x11/xdotool.

Anyway, I've noticed that you can still call all these windows back to the main desktop by choosing it from the right-click menu of the running windows.
Don't remember where xwininfo program belongs...

OK, thank you again for your configs.

And finally, here is my .xinitrc:
Code:
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr
xrdb -load ~/.Xresources
/usr/local/bin/urxvtd -q -f -o
soffice --quickstart --nologo --nodefault &
setxkbmap -layout us,ru,"fr(oss)" -variant -option grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp &
xclock -digital -bg DarkSlateGray -fg green -twentyfour -geometry 280x40+0+0 &
xscreensaver --nologo &
eval `cat $HOME/.fehbg` &
xset m 30/10 4
xset r rate 200 40
xset -b
xset s off
xset -dpms
exec $WM
With this .xinitrc I start WM with this command line:
Code:
WM=$my-window-manager-command xinit
It is mainly based on Graham's .xinitrc, I only added my own startup commands. And xinit command starts up X much faster than startx.

Back