Trying to write keyboard SPI drivers for MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) MacBookPro14,3

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) and I want to run FreeBSD on it natively. But the built-in keyboard, trackpad and Touch Bar do not work. External keyboards and mice attached via USB work.

So I want to write a driver for the keyboard first; I will write the drivers for the rest afterwards. Linux kernel 5.3 has drivers for newer keyboards and trackpads but not for the Touch Bar.
kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git - Linux kernel source tree

I am reading Part II. Device Drivers from FreeBSD Architecture Handbook. I have listed the hardware with ioreg command from macOS.

The result of ioreg -flir -n SPI1 is attached.

I want to know if writing a driver for the hardware without documentation could damage the hardware, as I am using my work computer. Also please suggest me what I should read further to write FreeBSD drivers.

Attachments

• apple-ioreg-spi.txt
    978 KB · Views: 225
Ask yourself this question: What persistent state does a keyboard have which would survive power cycling? For example, if it were a disk drive, you could overwrite data with a defective driver (been there, done that).

So the likely chances are: firmware downloads, and persistent configuration changes. Mac's famously have PRAM (parameter RAM), which holds persistent configuration information, and when it gets scrozzled, the machine won't boot. So look at the documentation for that kind of thing. Just as an example: Maybe the keyboard can be remapped? If you remap all keys to be the letter X, then the machine will boot, but you'll never enter a password again (unless your password was XXXX). The end ...

I got more information about the hardware. I have attached the output of acpidump -dt.

At line number 7592 is the SPI keyboard and trackpad.
Code:
Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP000D"))  // _HID: Hardware ID

I am taking reference from the corresponding Linux driver in Linux source tree. In Linux driver source, it matched using ACPI Based Device Enumeration. The table in the source is like this.
C:
static struct spi_driver applespi_driver = {
    .driver        = {
        .name            = "applespi",
        .acpi_match_table    = applespi_acpi_match,
        .pm            = &applespi_pm_ops,
    },
    .probe        = applespi_probe,
    .remove        = applespi_remove,
    .shutdown    = applespi_shutdown,
};

module_spi_driver(applespi_driver)

I don't know what the equivalent in FreeBSD is. I have tried Character Devices and PCI Devices examples and I can't find how to match that ID.

I would like to know how to match the device by HID, APP000D in FreeBSD. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• MacBook_acpidump.txt
    769.2 KB · Views: 190
Doesn't the FreeBSD kernel expose this via /dev/spigen0?
What's all the stuff in spibus in /sys/dev?
Anyway, you'll probably have more luck if you join freebsd-hackers mailing list.

I want to know if writing a driver for the hardware without documentation could damage the hardware, as I am using my work computer.

Loading a driver into the kernel with kldload can cause a kernel panic. This can harm your mounted file systems. So don't use your work computer.

The resources are scarce. There is an outdated book on writing drivers (Device Drivers for the interpred). E.g. it doesn't cover libusb for usb devices.
There is the architecture handbook, but it provides only an overview. Then there are man files in section 9, e.g. DRIVER_MODULE(). Finally, there is the source code of linux and freebsd (e.g. in github). Look at keyboard drivers and try to understand some of the code.. That's where everything starts...

Loading a driver into the kernel with kldload can cause a kernel panic. This can harm your mounted file systems. So don't use your work computer.

The resources are scarce. There is an outdated book on writing drivers (Device Drivers for the interpred). E.g. it doesn't cover libusb for usb devices.
There is the architecture handbook, but it provides only an overview. Then there are man files in section 9, e.g. DRIVER_MODULE(). Finally, there is the source code of linux and freebsd (e.g. in github). Look at keyboard drivers and try to understand some of the code.. That's where everything starts...
Thanks for your explanation. I will try.

Currently I do my work on macOS. I installed FreeBSD on a partition in the same SSD where macOS is installed. When in FreeBSD, it only mount its partitions / and swap. macOS partition is untouched I think. If kernel panic can also damage other partitions, then I will just backup.

Doesn't the FreeBSD kernel expose this via /dev/spigen0?
What's all the stuff in spibus in /sys/dev?
Anyway, you'll probably have more luck if you join freebsd-hackers mailing list.
I do not see /dev/spigen0.
I will reply back with what I found in /sys/dev.
And I will join the mailing list. Thanks.

I do not see /dev/spigen0.
I will reply back with what I found in /sys/dev.
And I will join the mailing list. Thanks.
I've only able to see spigen devices on ARM7/64, but it may give you hints to integration to the kernel for amd64.

See /usr/src/sys/dev/arm64/conf/GENERIC

Edit: As I recall, the SPI implementation by FreeBSD is very rudimentary, so back to your original concern about harming the laptop, I think the only issue would be interrupts (or lack thereof in FreeBSD) and therefore being forced to use polling, which will inevitably eat into battery life. How much I don't know, I can't speculate the figure, just a 'gut feel' given that polling inevitably uses more cpu.

Well, you'll have to get SPI working before you can get the keyboard working, I think, based on the IOReg output.

I am developing the MacBook SPI input driver, it mostly works already but there's quite a lot of work still required to finish it.

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D29249 is a patch for SPI itself working, only tested on Broadwell (2015) so far, it would be pretty helpful to check operation on a Kaby Lake machine. The "Test Plan" in phabricator lists all the things required just to observe some interesting packets.. well, it's not a very detailed description, but maybe you can figure it out :)

I am developing the MacBook SPI input driver, it mostly works already but there's quite a lot of work still required to finish it.

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D29249 is a patch for SPI itself working, only tested on Broadwell (2015) so far, it would be pretty helpful to check operation on a Kaby Lake machine. The "Test Plan" in phabricator lists all the things required just to observe some interesting packets.. well, it's not a very detailed description, but maybe you can figure it out :)
Any plans to submit your "MacBook SPI input driver"?

This [1] one looks to be in rather good shape but requires some further work to eliminate 'atopcase_acpi' driver and replace it with ACPI-based SPI bus extensions like I2C bus already does.

[1] https://github.com/DankBSD/base/commit/5a473b53a7dbc116f0bf9d090e39fb41d695a188

MacBook SPI input driver is in FreeBSD-14.0-ALPHA3 now

This thread was started before a newer HID subsystem came to FreeBSD. I2C is for Microsoft compatible components and everything else, leaving out Apple. It seems like IICHID is an opensource implementation for I2C.

The newer subsystem on FreeBSD, which has to be enabled is intended to be universal for all HID products, whether Apple, Microsoft or other. A few drivers meant for IICHID seem to be available for using on the newer system, which FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD have.

usbhid(4) has to be enabled in FreeBSD 13.1, 13.2 and likely the rest of the 13 series. On, FreeBSD 13.2, it can be enabled through Thread howto-enabling-multimedia-keys-gamepads-joysticks-for-desktop-usbhid.84464, but will likely be lacking that newer specific driver.

MacBook SPI input driver is in FreeBSD-14.0-ALPHA3 now
That's likely implemented on usbhid. It probably used to be developed for the IICHID system.

Back