Thanks vs Reactions

What kind of feedback Forum's posts should have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why people complain about the new reactions feature. If you don't want to use them....well just don't. Someone else might find it useful. BTW, the thanks button has always been a "like" in the background, it was actually me who renamed it to thanks years ago. Now we can use both and a few more too. If we find the dislike reaction being abused we can just disable in the future. And the dickbar? Come on, there is a whole thread about it that had to be closed, please don't bring it here again.

A full set of reactions would be nice, but I would hope that it would include at least 10,000 different ones so one doesn't have to click on something that's not quite right for one's feelings at the time. We could also move to multiple choice for the body of the posts. That would allow us to just click and not have to use the keyboard at all, which is more modern and suitable for mobile devices.

Barring that, perhaps we can just give a plain thanks, meaning that we are thankful or generally approve of the post.

Reactions draw reactions as evidenced by this thread. The previous capabilities were either positive or nothing at all. Now we can post "I don't like you and you're nuts!". That's the problem with this.

We were fine without the reactions stuff. Now we're not.

Please remove dislike, angry and sad, then test how it works out. It will cause problems as a lot of people are aware of. It will chase people off too. The angry and sad one also set the one who posted them for getting criticized. Probably get rid of the love one too, which I don't have a problem with, but that will bring up a discussion that ILUXA brought up about a senseless rule that got a thread closed last year. Unless that one is wanted to subtly make a case against that rule, which I'm ok with too, but can draw attention to controversy.

Including the negative reactions is also making it difficult to get two separate responses for like and thanks, which are still very distinct. It would be better if they got two separate buttons, if possible.

Like can get rid of the +1 posts, which are redundant and different than thanks, you helped me with my OS, or you said something that is essential to improve the forum. I see someone write something creative, but it doesn't help with the forum or not potentially in computing, it deserves a like (I noticed that, it's good), not a thanks. Some threads are chatter, and like is more appropriate there. There's not as many responses on threads that teach something new or better as there are on threads that are chatter, which are ok, but they are what do you like. A screenshot that shows a new feature can be considered chatter, but that often deserves a thanks. I like the funny one, but how often will it be used.

Funny, I just realized what's being talked about. There are a bunch of icons showing when you click "Thanks". I didn't bother to look at those as it's just meaningless visual noise to my sensibilities. Reading is hard enough without having to try to analyze tiny cryptic images. But that's just me. Carry on . . . . .

Probably, personally I will never write an answer anymore,
why? If I'll be able to add correct emotions to some posts and it's done 🤣
So IMO emotions list should be increased (including some sexual content).

I get the pile of poop icon usefullness, but in the end I don't think these "Disney sticker" thingies belong anywhere else than on a kid's lunchbox. They don't have any place in the world of communication. I say that because they generally have strange and unusual associations with the choice of colors and shapes. I think the artistic meaning is actually inadvertent and out of control - probably out of pure ignorance on the part of the creators, rather than a deliberate attempt to confuse.

I think the artistic meaning is
There's an actual term for the design of these that I can't recall right now. In the web dev world, we avoid them like that plague. Not that I would ever use them in the first place.

I always say that I honestly don't care about reputation points or up/down votes and all that but it's strange when I do get one. My first reaction is, "What?!" Then "You bastard!!!"

Actually, I got two of the thumb downs from people here just recently. It reminded me immediately of reddit where you can get downvoted for agreeing with the most upvoted comment or topic. On reddit, getting a downvote is like a badge of honor. Getting upvoted makes your question your answer cause I honestly believe 80% of all redditors are kids under 18.

I used to get upset when I was downvoted on Stackoverflow but that place is going to hell real quick since it got noticed by redditors a few years ago and, even though I'm a high rep user with moderator privileges, I rarely answer questions for the same reason I never visit reddit. Not the up/down voting. It's the crazy, inane questions and inept answers.

HN hasn't gotten that bad yet but it's starting to smell. Quora is a dung pile.

I think I got off topic.

Unfortunately, while you can say, don't use it, it gets used. For example, today I see someone "reacted" to a post of mine. It was just a thanks. Which is nice, I like when I get a thanks, but I see someone reacted, I find myself checking the post to be sure it's not a bad reaction. It's certainly one of the less important things in my life, but since there is a vote thing, I voted for thanks only.

Ok, since I posted this ( a little while ago on a Sunday morning EST), I now get X reacted to your post with Thanks, which to me, is an improvement. I can see from the alerts menu what kind of reaction was given.

Frankly those "reactions" are bat-shit crazy. They don't make any sense - especially in a technical environment. I just looked at each one, and the text and pictures have little obvious connection with each other. One could just use the text, which might be better. But still there is no way of knowing what it is that, for example, made someone sad. Or even if the person is sad at all since it could refer to the post, or the poster, being sad, or that they should be. Can someone parse this in a repeatable manner? The net effect is just going to be confusion and consequent bad feelings. I assume that is not the intent, but clearly the designer of this did not think it through.

Somewhere on this site I've seen it written that the language of this forum is English. If that is to be the case, then let me suggest that these "reactions" are not English and based on forum rules should be removed.

Yup, I noticed that one of my posts was reacted to with love. I am guessing somewhat wanted to do thanks and either misclicked or perhaps the icons were unclear. Anyway, now that I can see in alerts how my post is reacted to, I'll shut up.

Heh, and drhowarddrfine gave me a "wow" reaction, which did make me laugh, as I suspect he did it as a joke. I also see that now, rather than thanks received, I have a reaction score. Meh, it's all good. Honestly, my main complaint was laziness, I would see someone reacted, but not HOW they reacted. Now that that shows in alerts, I'm happy, but I'm easily pleased.

As expressed, the reactions may be used as short typified answers. As I see, one can configure the set of reactions, and they can sure be configured as short answers. For example: "thanks", "I will think about it", "I will answer later", "I disagree". A positive score for thanks make sense, other should be neutral.

As expressed, the reactions may be used as short typified answers. As I see, one can configure the set of reactions, and they can sure be configured as short answers. For example: "thanks", "I will think about it", "I will answer later", "I disagree". A positive score for thanks make sense, other should be neutral.
Yes, but those are words.

I've been a little less active lately (mostly due to me (slowly) getting used to a new PC and getting distracted by some other stuff) but still wanted to vent a little...

One of the things I like about this forum is that it's not trying to be something it's not. With that I mean that the "powers that be" basically set up their own ideas for this place and put those into action usually making the FreeBSD forums a different experience than "others".

Sometimes for the better, sometimes ... well, not for the worst in my opinion but I do recall some aspects which users didn't always like (I lived the time when the mods would spell check and edit/fix our posts ;)).

Anyway, my point is basically: most features are fully at our discretion. Don't like to use it? Then don't click the options, done. And I actually think it's a bit of a bold move to allow us to also apply negative feedback. I pick that up as a signal that the staff takes the community serious and trusts us not to overdo it. That also says something IMO.

Of course, in the end I don't care too much; it's a nice feature I think but that's also all there is to it: a nice jest and... yah, a nice way to express how you think about a post without having to post yourself.

Folks, we have a vote here and that is clearly readable.

We have had a lot of input here from many members that care about "our" forums.FreeBSD.org.

What is missing is an appropriate action to make change happen.
That change is: Bring back our "thanks" - period.

What is missing is a statement of those responsible who can take action. That is sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back