System freeze on lid close only, FreeBSD-13

I have a Thinpad T470s, upgraded from 12.2 to 13.

When I close the lid, the system freezes solid, as in full lock up. Need to force restart with power button.

In my sysctl.conf I have (worked in 12.2)
Code:
# sleep
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state=S3
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3

If I run acpiconf -s 3 the system sleeps fine.

I also tested before starting X session, same results.

Is lid close sending a different command? I can't make sense of it.

Suggestions?

does keyboard works? try to press cap key, cap led is on or off?
After reopening the lid, it is full lock up. No keyboard or mouse. Can't escape x session to terminal using ctl-alt-f*, and even without x running, the problem occurs.

I have the same issue on my T470s. Suspend worked fine in FreeBSD 12. Upgraded over the weekend and now it's freezing after closing the lid. The screen is still on, but unresponsive. After 10-15 seconds I can hear the fan ramping up.

Running acpiconf -s 3 also suspends fine, and the power button brings the system back up.

I can't find anything in the logs. Any suggestions on where to look are appreciated.

If the case doesn't have a button associated with a closed lid, it's because of heat, especially if the fan ramps up.

Somehow my suspend works now, but I am not sure what changed. I kept playing with these sysctl settings and rebooting:

hw.acpi.reset_video: 0
hw.acpi.verbose: 1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S3

I also changed dev.acpi_ibm.0.handlerevents=NONE to dev.acpi_ibm.0.handlerevents='0x04', and that's when I noticed it worked; more details on this in man acpi_ibm. But then I switched it back and it still worked, odd.

Anyway, I'm taking the win :)

I am still on 13 because I did not have the chance to revert yet. It's an intermittent issue now, so I just don't close the lid anymore. If I do acpi -s 3 or zzz, it reverts fine. It's closing the lid that breaks it. Not always, but frequent enough; and I have to tell you that I've been conditioned not to close it after so many forced reboots.

The battery seems to last longer on 13, but other than that, for my use there are no noticeable improvements.

I believe so, because after `zzz` completes, pressing the power button brings the system up.

I also found out that after heavy use (high CPU, certain python scripts, Chrome on certain pages), even though the above commands put it to sleep, it can never wake up. I had to force power cycle in those instances. So definitely more to it than I observed initially.

More debugging being done on this issue, and possibly it relates to the sound driver?

Bug 255745

Thanks. If you have not already seen it, here's what might be a comparable topic:

zackb I linked to your case from post #6 there.

Back