Swift 5.5 for FreeBSD.

Swift is actually for developing aps on Apple smart phones, and Swift is his company's product. He would know more about what his company is doing than that.
I thought that was Cocoa, (which was the case in the early days), but Apple doesn't merit enough attention from me to notice something like that. Apple is not getting any of my money.

It's an astronomy or physics term for a star moving away from Earth's position. They observe light similarly to the doppler effect for sound. If it's moving away, it appears red. If it's moving closer, it appears blue.
Yeah, I got the metaphor... redshift is moving further and further away from the topic. There's also such a thing as red herring, which refers to the same thing. <--- not my original idea, I got this from another post that I'm too lazy to find and link to, sorry! And in some of my own posts I did say that staying on topic is an essential skill in problem solving.

When Apple first open sourced Swift, someone ported it to FreeBSD. Then,…. Crickets.

In the meantime, Swift has been ported to Windows, Web Assembly, several additional Linux distributions, has received first class AWS Lambda support, and most recently got an official Amazon AWS SDK. Unfortunately, still nothing on FreeBSD. I have several Server Side Swift applications that I would love to host on my own systems, but without a FreeBSD port, I am stuck adding Linux boxes for them. It is beyond my ability to do a port, but it would be nice for there to be one. Am I the only person interested in this? There has been a topic on the Swift forum, to add official FreeBSD support, but there has not been much support from the FreeBSD community for it.

Just wondering if there is something, philosophical or otherwise preventing it from happening?
You want to go to the Swift project page on GitHub.

Then enter FreeBSD into the GitHub search bar and select this repository, now find out, that a lot of work is done for FreeBSD. Finally find this one:

So, there is a pull request for letting the current Swift project build on FreeBSD 13.

My advice is, to forget the Swift noobs on these forums, but instead try to build Swift on FreeBSD 13 after applying said pull request, and ask for help on the Swift project page.

You want to go to the Swift project page on GitHub.

Then enter FreeBSD into the GitHub search bar and select this repository, now find out, that a lot of work is done for FreeBSD. Finally find this one:

So, there is a pull request for letting the current Swift project build on FreeBSD 13.

My advice is, to forget the Swift noobs on these forums, but instead try to build Swift on FreeBSD 13 after applying said pull request, and ask for help on the Swift project page.
Wow! Thanks. I will go try this and ask there.

Super helpful.

Answering the OP question: Yes! I would love to see Swift ported and maintained on FreeBSD. I like the language very much and it would be wonderful to see it running on our favorite OS. Of course, it would be even greater to see also some sort of GUI library for it.
I went to GitHub and asked there too.

Would be happy to assist in the port as much as I can. I am more of a sysadmin than a coder, but I do have an M1 MacMini that is supposed to be used for swift development and got my initial training from Apple.

Answering the OP question: Yes! I would love to see Swift ported and maintained on FreeBSD. I like the language very much and it would be wonderful to see it running on our favorite OS. Of course, it would be even greater to see also some sort of GUI library for it.
I went to GitHub and asked there too.
Thanks. I would also suggest going to the Swift Forum and adding a post there to this thread:

Thanks. I would also suggest going to the Swift Forum and adding a post there to this thread:

This is getting closer, but still feels like you're ordering people around, rather than handing out an invitation. 😩

This is getting closer, but still feels like you're ordering people around, rather than handing out an invitation. 😩
Against my better judgement, I am going to respond to you.

You have no interest in this using Swift on FreeBSD. Your comments ("I thought that was Cocoa, (which was the case in the early days), but Apple doesn't merit enough attention from me to notice something like that. Apple is not getting any of my money.") make it clear that this is not for you.

Why do you insist in inserting yourself in a conversation between two people actually concerned about the topic to provide an etiquette lesson, taking offense at a comment that has nothing to do with you? It is just bizarre.

The person to whom I responded, said he had posted on the previously linked Github page. In response to him (not you, not any of the others who only seem to spend their time on explaining why everything is wrong), I suggested that he also express interest on the Swift Forum.

When you you actually decide that you are interested in Swift, and you learn why it is being used extensively for server side applications by many companies whose services you probably use (like Amazon), I might consider responding to you again.

Until then, good luck and have a great life.

And it's still expecting posting stuff to a forum will make things happen. Not a good bet…

Again, you do not care about this product as you have made abundantly clear. Why do you care what those who are interested in it do?

When you have some interest in using Server Side Swift and have actual knowledge of the product that is more recent than "a long time ago", I will consider your remarks.

Until then, good luck and have a nice life.

Against my better judgement, I am going to respond to you.

You have no interest in this using Swift on FreeBSD. Your comments ("I thought that was Cocoa, (which was the case in the early days), but Apple doesn't merit enough attention from me to notice something like that. Apple is not getting any of my money.") make it clear that this is not for you.

Why do you insist in inserting yourself in a conversation between two people actually concerned about the topic to provide an etiquette lesson, taking offense at a comment that has nothing to do with you? It is just bizarre.

The person to whom I responded, said he had posted on the previously linked Github page. In response to him (not you, not any of the others who only seem to spend their time on explaining why everything is wrong), I suggested that he also express interest on the Swift Forum.

When you you actually decide that you are interested in Swift, and you learn why it is being used extensively for server side applications by many companies whose services you probably use (like Amazon), I might consider responding to you again.

Until then, good luck and have a great life.
There is such a thing as forum etiquette, in addition to forum rules:
As a member of this forum, I have the freedom to call out other posters who don't respect the etiquette or the rules. FreeBSD forums are for problem solving, not for ordering people around.

Would be happy to assist in the port as much as I can. I am more of a sysadmin than a coder, but I do have an M1 MacMini that is supposed to be used for swift development and got my initial training from Apple.
I am waiting for the next generation of Apple Silicon machines before I switch. I have a few 2018 Mac mini, that are test beds and an iMac Pro on my desk. My B/F is an editor and artist and he's been working on a 2019 Mac Pro that he loves.

As soon as there are replacements for those two systems, we will switch. He paid off the Pro with the second project he did using it, so we are confident that these new systems will be just as cost effective. 🙃

If you have interest in Server Side applications, go take a look at the Vapor stuff (Vapor.Codes). Their discord community is super welcoming and very active.

Yup. I built it with the patch, it is not yet perfect, but pretty far along. Thanks for the pointers.

When people were telling you how it would get ported, you kept being rude, saying you didn't ask that. You were disrepectful to what it would take to be ported.

Like I was saying, it's important how it would get ported. So, now that matters?

You were also making demands it be ported, but then backtracking by saying, you didn't ask anyone to port it. Yet, you demanded that someone specfic in this thread port it. You then claimed, you want Apple to port it, yet, now you decided, that you could get it built. This is also a backtrack.

That goes with what I said, it's important how it would get ported. Show respect to the process of porting, and stop trying to boss people around while weaving in and out of your statements. It's not your place.

The toxic manipulation rubs me the wrong way.

Some whether we had or never had an interest in Swift, noticed the toxic manipulation.

Thank you for the link. I have left a message there too.

There was a port for it; lang/swift

perhaps no one cared enough to port it.

There was a port. Please see posts #1 and #2 on page 1.

People, please read page 1, the opening post in particular.

… demands …

… toxic manipulation …

Food for thought: the opening post #1 made no demand.

… ordering people around …

Food for thought: no such order in the opening post.

… etiquette …

Things that make you go hmmm...

Frankly, FreeBSD Forums.

I am so tired of this discussion.

If that were true, why did you make it more tiresome?

Please stop this nonsense.

1633138871800.png

But the toxic manipulation came, it didn't matter if it was in the first post or not.

Just because you want to see Swift, doesn't mean to support someone acting by any means, especially if that behavior is making veiled demands, manipulating, and being disrespectful to the porting process, thus to those who volunteer to the porting process or any capacity. And backtracking to hide it.

And this gets me, I've been saying all along, the porting process is important, and suddenly that person jumps to, being enthusiastic about porting it, after being rude about exclaiming he doesn't give a shit about porting. Couldn't even show appreciation to them.

No, it's not. I identify it. and I've seen people who act like that, use those kinds of words and hide it.

I don't speak like that in any capacity. I don't associate with people who talk like that in any capacity either.

I already explained it, you think, any means to get a Swift port, and bossy behavior doesn't matter.

I didn't twist anyone's words. Those statements by that person are classic manipulation, and it's often spoken by those who manipulate others. Are you trying to twist mine?

grahamperrin : If you click on a couple back-references, you will see the post where I first mention the part about ordering people around:
What do you think I was responding to?

sidetone : I think it would help you with making a point if you use the [QUOTE]tags, and refer to the post you're responding to.

Back