Swift 5.5 for FreeBSD.

majortom 's responsibility to do something helpful to get Swift ported more than anyone else's. Instead of shaming and blaming, for something he wants, while others aren't very interested in it.
I did do something helpful. I asked if there was any interest in having a Swift port. I also suggested that if there was interest, those who were interested should consider going to the Swift Forum and requesting a port.

In response, I got post after post from people on here talking about everything other than interest in Swift. You have repeated the phrase "shaming and blaming". Either these words mean something different to you, or you are reading someone else's post.
I have a hard time putting some thoughts into words. It's not really about responsibility even though I said that. It however, falls on someone who's interested more than on those who aren't. He's acting like, it's our responsibility, and not his, even though he's the one who wants it. I see Swift as too niche by being too Mac/i-product centric.
I am acting like it is your responsibility by asking if there is interest? Not only have I not suggested that I would expect anyone here to do a port, I specifically said that if there was enough interest, Apple would likely do it themselves, just as they have for the Linux ports. Again, if you are not interested in Swift, I do not understand why you have spent so much energy on this thread at all.

For example, here is my third post on this thread:

Apple themselves maintain the Ubuntu, Amazon Linux and Windows ports and contribute resources to the Web Assembly version. I understand how ports are maintained by the community here, that is not what I am asking. My question is pretty straight forward: is there some reason there seems to be no interest in Swift from the FreeBSD community? I am not asking why the previous port was removed, or how a new port would be maintained, or even if there are people who could port Swift themselves.
I did not ask anyone to do anything other than express interest in having Swift available if they had such interest. I got everything but that. Two pages into this thread not one person has expressed interest in Swift, yet many people tell me that I should go do a port myself. If no one wants it, why should I (or anyone else for that matter), do a port?
To tell you the truth, I wanted to see newer languages get ported, and it was over my head in comparison to understanding how simple programs get ported. Asking Apple to make Swift more portable, and for example being able to be built with bmake would do a lot. A maintainer's job would have to be made easier, and portability upstream could help a lot with that.
Apple maintains most of the ports themselves. If there were interest here, I would expect them to do it as well. I do not really care what they have to do to do it, if they are doing it themselves.

I'm neutral towards Swift being ported. I don't think it should be opposed. I hope people would support it or be neutral.

Your first responses didn't help you. They tell you how it's ported. Even if Apple does all of the work, how it's ported is still relevant. If Apple doesn't port it, why offend potential volunteers. If there's two ways for it to be ported, show interest when others tell you how it's ported or the process either way. The last volunteer's work could still be relevant to it being porting again, especially if it's a volunteer again, than Apple. The process of how it's ported still matters.

For some ports, maintainers are simply a whole section of a mailing list. The email to the maintainer is a section/topic of the mailing list. For instance, what if that maintainer becomes Apple on the mailing list.

There's a chance Apple could port and maintain it. Someone said they wouldn't, so I question it. If they don't, the next thing would be to ask Apple to make Swift more portable, so the volunteer's task would be easier.

Ports don't magically appear, and people politely told you, that someone has to do the work to have a port made.
My question was about interest in Swift on FreeBSD, not about the process for how community FreeBSD ports are supported. If there is no interest, there is no point in any port. In addition, I did not ask anyone here to do any work at all, so telling my how ports are done is not relevant to the question of interest in the product.
You don't want to hear how ports are made, yet someone has to know how ports are made for ports to be made.
My question has nothing to do with how ports are made, because it is much earlier in the process. I wanted to know if there was interest in the product. If there is enough interest, the company that currently supports most of the other ports would likely be willing to support this one as well.

You got rude, really quick, just because someone told you, that someone has to maintain a port for it to happen.
I asked if there was interest in having Swift on FreeBSD, and got posts with every answer but someone expressing interest in the product. Even three pages into the thread, no one person has expressed any interest in Swift on FreeBSD, but there have been several people with years old information explaining why it would have no value to them or anyone, and many posts talking about process for something in which no one here has interest.
"I want a port, but I don't want to hear how ports are made."
I asked if there was interest. If there is none why would I care how ports get done? If there is interest, I would not expect it to be a community supported port, but one from the first party that already supports most of the other ports.
Ask Apple to maintain a port, as there are still 2 ways, Apple can maintain it, as someone said may not happen, or someone else can port it.
Apple maintains most of the other ports. While someone here stated with no evidence, that Apple would not do it, none of that has anything to do with whether there is interest in the product. If there is no interest, there is no reason to have a port. If there is no reason to have a port, explanations of the community porting process are completely off topic.
You want it ported?

I had interest, and wanted to see if others did as well.
Well, your attitude will be sure there's more resistance that wasn't there before. SOMEONE HAS TO DO IT, but you don't want to hear about it, or why it's no longer, which would be relevant to SOMEONE DOING IT. Ok, people here can ask Apple, but now there's less people who would ask, or in fact be more resistant to it.
If people wanted Swift on FreeBSD and no longer want it because someone asked if there was interest, it seems pretty clear that there was not much interest. You are correct about one thing, this thread sure makes a port much less likely, as anyone from Apple reading it will see a level of hostility to them and to Swift that is seems pretty basic ("I would recommend against anyone using Swift", "I wouldn't want to spend my precious time working for Apple for free.")

I don't want to see Swift on FreeBSD just because of your terrible attitude. I had expression in seeing it in the past, and I was neutral afterwards by seeing how its utility was mostly for i-products and Mac.
I am sure you will get your wish.

From the opening post:

… beyond my ability to do a port, …

… Please become the next lang/swift maintainer. …

– polite, but it lost sight of the opening post.

Not only an opening post; it was (as far as I can tell) the second post to FreeBSD Forums.

The first, seven years ago, was perfectly polite but did not gain the courtesy of a response:

I'm neutral towards Swift being ported. I don't think it should be opposed. I hope people would support it or be neutral.
Neutrality is only slightly less valueless in a discussion of interest, than opposition. No one has expressed interest, and without that, Apple certainly is not going to spend energy (nor is it likely anyone else will).
Your first responses didn't help you. They tell you how it's ported. Even if Apple does all of the work, how it's ported is still relevant.
They did not respond to the question and if Apple does a port, how FreeBSD maintains community ports if completely irrelevant.
If Apple doesn't port it, why offend potential volunteers.
If they are not expressing interest in the product, why would they volunteer to expend energy on it? I did not ask anyone to do any work, nor is that my interest. I wanted to know if there was interest in Swift on FreeBSD. I got a very clear answer that no, people here have no interest.
If there's two ways for it to be ported, show interest when others tell you how it's ported or the process either way. The last volunteer's work could still be relevant to it being porting again, especially if it's a volunteer again, than Apple. The process of how it's ported still matters.
Not if there is no interest in the product. The discussion of FreeBSD's community porting process is so many steps past my question that it is beyond irrelevant.
For some ports, maintainers are simply a whole section of a mailing list. The email to the maintainer is a section/topic of the mailing list. For instance, what if that maintainer becomes Apple on the mailing list.
Please explain why I should care about the maintenance process for a product that does not exist, nor in which has there been any interest expressed? If even one person had expressed interest in having Swift on FreeBSD, there might be something further to discuss, but all that has been said here is that there is no interest in the product, but lots of interest in FreeBSD's own processes.
There's a chance Apple could port and maintain it. Someone said they wouldn't, so I question it. If they don't, the next thing would be to ask Apple to make Swift more portable, so the volunteer's task would be easier.
No one has expressed interest in the product here or on the Swift Forum. The hostility toward Apple and Swift and the misinformation expressed here should guarantee that it does not happen. As for the person who stated that Apple would not do it, without providing any supporting evidence, my response is the same as before: Apple maintains most of the existing non-Apple ports, so there would be no reason to expect they would not do this one as well if there were interest (and not outright hostility).

Am I the only person interested in this?

Just wondering if there is something, philosophical or otherwise preventing it from happening?

Hey OP, to answer your questions: I have no idea if you are the only one interested, I can't speak for 8b+ people on this planet, but I honestly couldn't care less about swift.
I don't know what's preventing it from happening, perhaps no one cared enough to port it. If people really want something in FreeBSD, they go and port it (if they have the skills necessary) or pay someone else to port it for them.
this thread is IMHO unnecessarily overly dramatic and feels very aggresive for some reason

I was a bit curious why Apple wouldn't maintain a port. They have done a lot for FreeBSD's base. If I didn't see this response, I would say for the person who wants Swift to ask Apple to maintain a port, since he wants to see it there.
The direction with base is the other way around. They are using some code from FreeBSD, so they're interested in contributing back, including participation in FreeBSD's reviews etc.

They don't use FreeBSD as a whole system themselves, so contributing to FreeBSD ports would mean to make sure one of their products is available for FreeBSD, without themselves using it. I'd never expect them to do such contributions as a part of their own release cycle. I would expect them to upstream necessary patches (if any), but that would require someone else to create and maintain a port first.

With Tom Doron (@tomerd, Apple) representing the Swift core team.
Let's take a quick look at that core team that "reviews and helps iterate on language evolution proposals from the community at large, acting as the approver of these proposals." (Emphasis mine.)
  • Ben Cohen - Apple
  • Chris Lattner - Former Apple
  • Doug Gregor - Apple
  • Joe Groff - Apple
  • John McCall - Apple
  • Saleem Abdulrasool - Google
  • Ted Kremenek - Apple
  • Tom Doron - Apple
I'm supposed to believe there are no Harvard MBAs in any of these people's management hierarchies?

Let's take a quick look at that core team that "reviews and helps iterate on language evolution proposals from the community at large, acting as the approver of these proposals." (Emphasis mine.)
  • Ben Cohen - Apple
  • Chris Lattner - Former Apple
  • Doug Gregor - Apple
  • Joe Groff - Apple
  • John McCall - Apple
  • Saleem Abdulrasool - Google
  • Ted Kremenek - Apple
  • Tom Doron - Apple
I'm supposed to believe there are no Harvard MBAs in any of these people's management hierarchies?
Here is a link to Apple’s leader ship page: https://www.apple.com/leadership/ among the 18 people listed, there are 5 MBAs, none from Harvard. Of the 5 MBAs, only Tim Cook would be in the management chain at all for the software engineering organization. Even the VP of Marketing, Greg Joswiak has a BS in Computer Engineering from Univ of Michigan, (no MBA at all) and the SVP of Software Engineering is a MS and BS in EECS from UCB, so you can believe what you wish, but I would be shocked if anyone on the Swift team reported to anyone with a Harvard MBA, or in fact even had a Harvard MBA anywhere in their management chain.

The OP needs to grow up. It's inappropriate to make demands like this, and not respect a process in which he wants an end result. The person is making a demand for a port, while, claming no one else should do it, but it happen. Then, the next demands someone here to port it, twice, as far as I saw. A Swift port would be difficult, and it's not as simple as a basic port with few to no dependencies. If you're not going to respect the porting process, why ask to have it ported? If Apple ports it, then that's great. If not, why anger everyone here? Who knows, you could anger Apple to not want to port it, by telling them how you tell us here.

Demanding isn't helpful to getting Swift ported. Doing some actual work, like looking at a Makefile or listening when others tell you about the porting process would be helpful. But, you know, you make demands, and don't want to learn. It also shows you won't have respect for a volunteer's work.

Ports don't magically appear, is a fact. I said this, after the person doesn't respect the porting process, doesn't respect learning about porting, and was rude to those who explained early on about ports.

They don't use FreeBSD as a whole system themselves, so contributing to FreeBSD ports would mean to make sure one of their products is available for FreeBSD, without themselves using it.
Swift itself as an Apple product. That in itself may be advertising or pr for their company and product. I can't predict if it would be in Apple's interest, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did or considered it.

MBA's are expected within such a group. Not necessarily from Harvard, or any other particular university.

this thread is IMHO unnecessarily overly dramatic and feels very aggresive for some reason
Because it is. It's veiled, but at the same time apparent enough to notice it in the tone. It's just enough, that the person can claim they weren't being aggressive. It's something like emotional blackmail, maybe emotional isn't the word, but it's something to that effect.

<< I want it ported. I didn't ask anyone to port it, except for 1 person I asked to port it, because they brought up porting it. I didn't ask anyone to port it, I asked Apple to port it. I won't acknowledge that if Apple doesn't port it, the only way it can be ported is if a volunteer ports it. I don't have respect for the contributions of volunteers. I'm going to Linux, but I'm still here demanding it be ported. Why isn't it ported? I didn't ask why it wasn't ported. Don't explain the porting process to me, I don't want to know about it, I just want it ported. I'm not interested in the porting process, I just want it ported. >>

In response, I got post after post from people on here talking about everything other than interest in Swift.
I believe I made it very clear some of the issues contributing to the lack of an up-to-date Swift port.

Yes, it evidently isn't what you wanted to hear but this is the situation.

You say these issues have been resolved but evidently there are still some challenges or some hesitation as to why very few are using Swift in this use-case. I notice very few Linux distros also provide package support for the Swift language / platform. Perhaps ask these communities what their reasons are too? It might be a common cause that can be resolved.

The OP needs to grow up. It's inappropriate to make demands like this, and not respect a process in which he wants an end result.
You keep saying that I am making demands. You took my original post as demanding that someone here port it. I have said repeatedly that I am not even suggesting that someone here port it, and that all I am asking is if there is interest. In response, I keep being told that I am demanding that someone here do something. If there is not enough interest to get Apple to do a port, then I do not think it would be worth it from my perspective to do a port (by me or anyone else on here). What is so odd is that no matter how many times I repeat that my only question is, is there interest in a port, I keep getting told to stop demanding one.
The person is making a demand for a port, while, claming no one else should do it, but it happen.
No, I repeat over and over that my only question is are people interested in have Swift on FreeBSD. I have said the same thing over and over. I specifically say I do not expect anyone here to do any work other than express interest in a product, and it does not matter, because you have decided what I mean despite my plain words over and over. You might be able to misinterpret my first post (I can see how someone could read it as asking why no one here has done it), but not one post after that is anything but clear as to what my request is.
Then, the next demands someone here to port it, twice, as far as I saw.
Please quote my text from anything other than my first post where I demand (or ever suggest) that anyone here should do anything other than express interest in the port. Just one time where I say that.
A Swift port would be difficult, and it's not as simple as a basic port with few to no dependencies.
Which is why I want to know if there is interest, and why I, as I have said over and over, I would not expect it to be a community port.
If you're not going to respect the porting process, why ask to have it ported?
I did not ask to have it ported. In response to what it seems was a misinterpretation of my first port, I have clarified repeatedly that 1) it is not my interest in having someone here port it, and that 2) all I want it to know if there is interest.
If Apple ports it, then that's great.
Which will only happen if there is actually interest expressed in using Swift on FreeBSD.
If not, why anger everyone here?
You seem to be quite good at angering yourselves. No matter how many times I clarify, repeat, and state what I am asking, I keep getting told I am asking for something else.
Who knows, you could anger Apple to not want to port it, by telling them how you tell us here.
I do not have to do anything to anger Apple, you guys are quite capable of doing that yourselves. In each of the threads discussing Swift on FreeBSD, the bulk of the actual comments on Swift and Apple are negative. (”I would recommend against anyone using Swift”, I bought a book about Swift a long time ago and decided it was only for developing for i-products, Apple‘s Harvard MBA’s will arbitrarily make this open source product unusable for no reason at all, etc.).

Demanding isn't helpful to getting Swift ported.
Again, please quote any post outside the first one where anything I say can be viewed as a demand for anyone to do anything.
Doing some actual work, like looking at a Makefile or listening when others tell you about the porting process would be helpful.
Before it would make sense for anyone to bother looking at anything, it would first make sense to determine if there was interest. That is the question I keep asking and yet, no one who is interested in Swift has responded to this thread at all. Not one person. There has not been a thread about Swift on here in five years. On the Swift Forum, there had been little interest, so I thought raising the question of interest here would get a more concentrated group of FreeBSD users where if there were people interested it would be easier to find them.
But, you know, you make demands, and don't want to learn. It also shows you won't have respect for a volunteer's work.
No, I do not make any demands, as I say over and over. Not one of the people who lecture me on the community porting process has expressed interest in having the product, they are singularly focused on the process for someone here doing something that no one seems to want.
Ports don't magically appear, is a fact.
Nor has anyone asked for a port to magically appear.
I said this, after the person doesn't respect the porting process, doesn't respect learning about porting, and was rude to those who explained early on about ports.
Here is a review of this thread. I asked a question to gage interest in Swift on FreeBSD. Some people here misinterpreted that question to be a request that someone here do a port. I clarified that my only interest is in determining interest in having the product to which the response was not: ”Oh, I see how we misinterpreted what you were asking“, but no matter what you say you are asking, we want to talk about something else.

Further when people actually comment on the real question (interest in Swift on FreeBSD), they are exclusively negative. Now it is certainly possible that there is a great majority of people who are dying for this port to happen, but they have never posted a question about interest in having it (either here or on the Swift Forum), and that they are afraid to say anything about their interest because, no matter how in capable of doing a port themselves they might be, they did not want to get lectured about expressing that opinion, but I think that is unlikely.
Swift itself as an Apple product.
Yes, it is. They themselves has ported it and its libraries to three different Linux distributions and provide primary (or secondary) support for several other versions. They also have directly supported development of many server side tools.
That in itself may be advertising or pr for their company and product. I can't predict if it would be in Apple's interest, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did or considered it.
Apple has clearly decided that they see a benefit in Swift being as widely available as is possible, hence their expanding porting effort. They have also decided that Swift on the Server is valuable, going as far as including sessions about it in the World Wide Developer Conference this year. Given that, it seems reasonable to expect (despite the pronouncements by someone on here), that if there was a large expressed interest for it on this platform, Apple would do a port themselves.
MBA's are expected within such a group. Not necessarily from Harvard, or any other particular university.
In Apple’s engineering organization, there are very few MBA’s and the commenter was very specific that he was talking about Harvard MBAs in particular.
Because it is. It's veiled, but at the same time apparent enough to notice it in the tone.
No, it is not. I respond over and over clarifying my request and keep getting told that it does not matter what the plain meaning of my words is, but that they mean something else. It is just odd.
<< I want it ported. I didn't ask anyone to port it, except for 1 person I asked to port it, because they brought up porting it.
No, I am interested in having Swift on FreeBSD. I have not ever asked anyone here to port it. I repeat that over and over, and keep being told that is what I want. When people tell me that is what I am asking, I never agree with them, but again clarify that all I want to know is is there interest, and keep getting told that is not what I am asking.
I didn't ask anyone to port it,
I did not ask anyone to port it, I asked if there was an interest in having the product. These are not the same thing no matter how much you seem to want them to be.
I asked Apple to port it.
On the Swift Forum, I am one of a small number of people who expressed interest in having Swift on FreeBSD. On this forum, I did not ask Apple to do anything. I said that if there was enough interest, it would be likely that Apple would do a port.
I won't acknowledge that if Apple doesn't port it, the only way it can be ported is if a volunteer ports it.
Actually, that is not the only way it could be ported, nor is even necessarily the most likely way for it to happen, but is certainly one way it could happen. I have never disputed that, I just have said, that is not my interest, nor have I requested that.
I don't have respect for the contributions of volunteers.
I very much respect the contributions of volunteers and I am keenly aware of the issues with deploying scarce resources (including my own). That is why I keep saying that my interest is in determining if there is interest in having the product. If there was enough interest, including from enough people who control budgets, a group on here could directly fund a port, without having a single volunteer work on it.
I'm going to Linux, but I'm still here demanding it be ported.
I have quite a few FreeBSD systems, and never said I would move any of their tasks to Linux. What I did say is that, since there seems to be no interest in having the product, I was resigned to using it for the deployment of my server side swift applications. Again, not once have I demanded anything, let alone a Swift port.
Why isn't it ported? I didn't ask why it wasn't ported. Don't explain the porting process to me, I don't want to know about it, I just want it ported. I'm not interested in the porting process, I just want it ported. >>
A summary of this thread: Me: Is there interest in Swift on FreeBSD? This forum: No, stop demanding that we volunteers do work for you. Me: I am not demanding that you do anything, just asking if people are interested in using this product. This forum: See, there you go again demanding we do a port for you! Here is a long lecture on how our community porting process works. Me: I am not asking anyone to do anything, and certainly not demanding it, I just want to know if there is interest. This forum: You are terrible, you keep making demands. Me: What demands have I made? I am just asking if there is interest. This forum: Swift is only used for writhing UI based applications on Apple products and even if it were to be available it would have no value, and here is another lecture on our porting process. Me: I am not asking anyone here to do a port, I am asking if anyone would want to use a port. This forum: There you go demanding a port again, despite your stating the exact opposite, we clearly know what you mean and despite your plain words, you clearly are demanding something from us. Stop it.

As I said, it is just odd.

I really didn't want to jump back in here but I think this is getting out at of hands. At this point we're just wasting each other's time by being nit-picky about specific wording and getting hung up on details instead of seeing the bigger picture: The OP asked whether there is any interest, apparently there is not much on this forum right now (which is only a small portion of FreeBSD users) and that is it.

I'm certainly sorry for my part in this. Neither of my messages was intended to start a discussion like this. I do understand OPs response in that my post did not help at all and seemed like I didn't read the original post. While that was not the intention, I see how it happened.

So how about we drop this non-sense now. OP got his answer - with a some miscommunication in-between and that is it. I feel like anything from hereon is just driving people apart unnecessarily in the hopes that somebody gets to proof their point (which probably won't happen either).

Here is a link to Apple’s leader ship page: https://www.apple.com/leadership/ among the 18 people listed, there are 5 MBAs, none from Harvard. Of the 5 MBAs, only Tim Cook would be in the management chain at all for the software engineering organization. Even the VP of Marketing, Greg Joswiak has a BS in Computer Engineering from Univ of Michigan, (no MBA at all) and the SVP of Software Engineering is a MS and BS in EECS from UCB, so you can believe what you wish, but I would be shocked if anyone on the Swift team reported to anyone with a Harvard MBA, or in fact even had a Harvard MBA anywhere in their management chain.
You have access to Apple's entire engineering and product org chart? Wait a second.

Member with 28 posts. 27 of them are in this thread. No activity since 2014 before this thread. Things that make you go hmmm...

He's Tim Cook and wants us to do the work for him. For free.
I very seriously doubt Tim cares about Swift. I would be surprised if he knew about server side Swift at all. Apple under him is rapidly becoming a smartphone company. I'm sure Swift on the server will die a horrible death in a few years, like Mac OS X server before it. Maybe it'll become a zombie like Darwin.

This is getting out of hand... majortom seems to be just missing the whole point of Open Source development, and how it works in general. Trying to drum up (and assess) interest is one thing. In the world of business, there's also such a thing as 'Feasibility Study'. OP's feasibility study should show that while there's some interest in Swift for FreeBSD, it's not strong enough to motivate people to sit down and put in the effort it takes to port Swift to FreeBSD. If that's a problem for OP, then he should just start coding and problem solving himself, and see where that takes him.

What can Swift do that other languages cannot?

As a side note, Sun Microsystems' Java language appeared on the scene in 1996 because C/C++ was suffering from memory safety issues at the time. IIRC, Java did not make it into FreeBSD ports until 2004. Back then, there were not that many programming languages even in existence, let alone ported to FreeBSD. If a language was ported to FreeBSD, that was because there was enough motivation (for whatever reason) to put in the required effort. These days, we are spoiled for choice as to what language to use to do programming on FreeBSD, and Swift is just a blip on our radar.

Java did not make it into FreeBSD ports until 2004.
I remember those days. There was considerable interest in Java. So much so that FreeBSD Foundation made a (paid?) deal with Sun Microsystems to provide us with a bespoke Java binary (JRE/JDK was still closed-source then). This binary (package) was the DiabloJDK. Cool name! Later revisions of the open-source JDK actually bootstrapped themselves of this aging DiabloJDK blob for a long time after that.

Though I am now getting off topic. Though it does demonstrate that if there is sufficient interest, anything can be made to run on FreeBSD. I imagine Swift is easier to port than an entire JavaVM runtime + tools.

I remember those days. There was considerable interest in Java. So much so that FreeBSD Foundation made a (paid?) deal with Sun Microsystems to provide us with a bespoke Java binary (JRE/JDK was still closed-source then). This binary (package) was the DiabloJDK. Cool name! Later revisions of the open-source JDK actually bootstrapped themselves of this aging DiabloJDK blob for a long time after that.

Though I am now getting off topic. Though it does demonstrate that if there is sufficient interest, anything can be made to run on FreeBSD. I imagine Swift is easier to port than an entire JavaVM runtime + tools.
This bootstrap was done with GCJ over in Linux-land:
Good times.

Yeah, we're redshifting as one of our frequent posters likes to say. I don't get that metaphor, though.

Java managed to develop a large and vibrant community for its language despite Sun's best efforts at stifling it in its crib. The world was very different back then. Heck, proprietary C compilers were still in very wide use. GCC was kind of a sick joke even on x86, not to speak of the horrors that lurked in say, PA-RISC*. Things have improved vastly since then. There are many excellent truly open and community-driven languages and runtimes now, as Eternal_noob points out. Why would I risk breaking my teeth on nuggets of corporate BS by taking a bite of the Swift bread?

* One of my first jobs was working on a product developed in Java for HP-UX. There was a JDK for that platform before there was one for Linux because HP paid to have it ported. It was full of exciting obscure bugs.

He's Tim Cook and wants us to do the work for him. For free.
He would just have his paid employees do it, and stop demanding from volunteers. He would also care about how it would get ported. A smaller company would throw thousands of $ to have someone port it, then be gracious about the processing of porting.

This person is acting like its his place to boss us around. Even if he had paid workers he could tell to do something, this is no way to treat others. He threads a line, so he can claim, he's not doing what he's actually doing. It's disrepectful to any volunteer who would potentially port it.

I very seriously doubt Tim cares about Swift. I would be surprised if he knew about server side Swift at all. Apple under him is rapidly becoming a smartphone company.
Swift is actually for developing aps on Apple smart phones, and Swift is his company's product. He would know more about what his company is doing than that.

You have access to Apple's entire engineering and product org chart? Wait a second.
My guess is, he's a fan of Apple. Which is fine.

we're redshifting as one of our frequent posters likes to say. I don't get that metaphor, though.
Redshift is an astronomy or physics term for a star or galaxy moving away from Earth's position. They observe light similarly to the doppler effect for sound. If it's moving away, it appears redder. If it's moving closer, it appears bluer.

Back