Surprised to learn that the BSDs are dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if that post came from legendary troll Rev. Don Kool. The only thing missing is a reference to a "real" operating system like OpenVMS.

;)

I can't believe you all are performing necromancy on this ancient meme from Slashdot in early 2000s.
The first chapter in the necromancers handbook is about the correct use of the tools (in that case, a shovel).
As with archeologists, you need to understand the context and trajectory of an item and it's use to classify it correctly and make deductions for today. When archeologists fail that, they label it as "cult item". What do we do? Call it "ancient meme".

When archeologists fail that, they label it as "cult item". What do we do? Call it "ancient meme".
If I remember correctly I heard an archeologist (on the internet :p) say that it's "an item for ritualistic purposes". I shudder to think what items of our time will be labeled as such in a thousand years. Just take a look around you for any random item and wonder if someone a thousand years ago would have understood the purpose of said item. Going forward won't be any different really, it's all strange and out-of-place to people a thousand years (and even much less) apart.

A rhetoric strewn diatribe from 2021, is now a thread subject on this site 2 years later. I have to wonder about the OP's motivation in posting this.

The BSDs may/not be dying, but bull shit lives for ever it seems.

All hearsay should be ignored. If you want to know how well an OS is doing, track down some objective facts, such as the fact that the Netflix CDN is built on FreeBSD, along with numerous commercial and open source network and storage appliances, or how much software is ported to it. According to https://repology.org/, FreeBSD ports is one of the biggest package collections in terms of packaged projects. Note that nix and AUR are "community" repos that do not have the same quality requirements as Debian packages, FreeBSD ports, etc. NetBSD's pkgsrc is also in the top 10. Both have been growing steadily since the 1990s. Current binary package counts (inflated by the fact that packages are built for multiple Python versions, etc.):

Code:
FreeBSD moray.acadix  bacon ~ 1002: pkg search '.*' | wc -l

NetBSD manta.acadix  bacon ~ 192: pkgin avail | wc
   26673  186379 1768122

It's fake, given it claimed FreeBSD is dead as in no longer in existence, like defunct. Yet, we're on its webpage, and also using it. If you read it, farther than the headline, it's obvious it's fiction or the author confused their facts.
FreeBSD went out of business and was taken over by BSDI who sell another troubled OS.
The original BSD's are no longer, but we know that history that FreeBSD and NetBSD started from that.

I wouldn't be surprised if that post came from legendary troll Rev. Don Kool. The only thing missing is a reference to a "real" operating system like OpenVMS.
I thought BSDi was that, but there's a BSDi, which is BSD related. BSDi claims from that article still seem off.

When we see the title and the topic, we think, "not again," but when you read it, you realize that none of the claims are real.

A standup comedian on FreeBSD. Dave Chappelle said, there's a comedian for every type of subject, and now there's one for FreeBSD.

The Open Source foundation is developing IBM/Redhat cracks.

Redhat no longer publishing release source code.

You could see it coming when Redhat hired the 4 independent Centos developers and essentially subsumed the project. Gnome with Wayland/Pulseaudio/Pipewire will likely be the first FreeBSD casualty.

One way to counter IBM's lawyers and money would be for the non-commercial projects to pool their resources and begin forking/replacing key components. OpenBSD already has with Xorg -> Xenocara and OpenSSH -> LibreSSH and sndio. Be nice if other projects pitched in.

Good article - echos my thoughts on news media in fact.

I gave up on TV news media (along with TV) several years ago and on news as a whole back in 2019. Totally toxic, sensationalist and biased. Never looked back.

The funny thing is that once you're finally "on the outside looking in", you can clearly perceive just how fabricated and staged news media is, when you catch involuntary glimpses. Just a good 12 months "detox" and it will all seem very banal and pointless.

I was a broadcast engineer back in the day and used to hang out in the newsroom on break. These guys were all former newspaper journalists who didn't fool around. They were on the phone checking with sources or on the road hitting city hall.

My niece-in-law (is that a thing?) worked at that same station until this year. Her job was to surf the 'net and find fluff, "human interest" stories like "best dog food". For this she got a four-year journalism degree.

To the Slashdot "BSD is dying" crowd - big deal. Death is part of the cycle; take a look at your soft, pallid bodies and consider that right this very moment, parts of you are dying. See? It's not so bad.

May he rest in peace..

According to the "uncyclopedia", *BSD has been dying for years. The death progressed slowly at first, but of late, it has taken a turn for the worse and is nearly complete. The death of *BSD has followed several stages. (https://uncyclopedia.com/wiki/BSD_is_Dying)

I find it funny that the article suggests LSD as a related link. :) And that they mention the official obituary being in 2005. Err, we're still here. drhowarddrfine I call my niece's husband my nephew-in-law, sometimes, though I also just use "my niece's husband, or if he comes up in any discussion with other family members, the esoteric term, "Rob". :)

anything that is alive will die some day. question is only how long it will be alive. mayflies probably won't survive some OSses booting, our solar system went and will go for another bazillion years

FreeBSD and other *BSD will be somewhere in the middle ;-)

I'm on late 90-x: joined FBSD world. The reason was just pragmatic: I was (and likely still) a noob in deep need for help, managing kinda-of server... The forum, which I found useful, was full of admins and they all talked/helped each other bout FBSD rather than Linux. So, I was _forced_ to study it.... no regrets.

I'm on early 30-x: suddenly learned about Netcraft, whatever it is, referred as a source of some rumor about FBDS.
Ok.

News just in (for a laugh):

Attachments

• 1703449796585.png
    1703449796585.png
    123 KB · Views: 112
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back