Solved startX failes and so also sddm because of .serverauth files

Hey guys,

I'm trying to set up sddm with i3, but I can't seem to get xorg and stuff to work.
If I try and start sddm as normal user, I just get a blank screen with no keyboard/mouse input.
I get the follwing three errors:
Failed to change owner of the socket
Error in locking authority file
Failed to change owner of the auth file

If I start as root then it works fine (however that's obvoiuslly not a good idea).
I think it's because off the .serverauth files as when using startX (not xinit, that works fine without errors) it throws an error:
~/.serverauth.1201 does not exist

Btw that file number 1201 changes (it seems randomly generated or something), so I can't just create it myself.
I have also tried to manualy edit the name the config files executed used to something that does exist, but the same thing occurs.

Any advice, suggestions, tips or solutions would be greately appreciated!
Thanks so much!

EDIT:
This is the output sddm gives, startx actually doesn't give an error message, in fact it isn't run at all:

Last edited:
If you have used startx as root, from within your user's home directory, then (if I recall correctly) .Xauthority and maybe other files, too, will be owned by root.
You won't be able to start Xorg as normal user, before you correct that. rm or chmod those files.

Another problem could be permissions. Your user has to be in either the video or wheel group.

A general advice for setting up Xorg. Take it step by step. First the video driver (you got that already ;)) , then Xorg, then DE, last but not least, if desired, a login manager when the rest already works.

If you have used startx as root, from within your user's home directory, then (if I recall correctly) .Xauthority and maybe other files, too, will be owned by root.
You won't be able to start Xorg as normal user, before you correct that. rm or chmod those files.

Another problem could be permissions. Your user has to be in either the video or wheel group.

A general advice for setting up Xorg. Take it step by step. First the video driver (you got that already ;)) , then Xorg, then DE, last but not least, if desired, a login manager when the rest already works.
Hey man, I'm trying to take it step by step!
I am in the wheel group, and this happens even if I remove the .Xauthority file.
The thing is the socket message that I don't get above, what should be my next step in fixing the issue?

EDIT: startX seems to run fine, it seems to be a problem with sddm (from how I see things), startx isn't giving any problems any more.
Only sddm

I don't think it's xorg going wrong, startX doesn't give any errors, this is the sddm output (in a pastebin):

It looks like a permission problem from sddm's output.
I'd try to # rm -rf /var/run/sddm and see if that helps.
I figured it out.
Sddm actually is supposed to start as root (or some part off it), when you use service sddm onestart, it won't though.
If however you use sysrc sddm_enable="YES" it will.
Thanks for all your support, I'll mark the thread solved!

Sddm actually is supposed to start as root (or some part off it), when you use service sddm onestart, it won't though.
There is no difference in the way it starts between onestart and start.

Back