startx black screen

I've also added the line, kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko" in to /etc/rc.conf file.
vgapci0@pci0:0:1:0: class=0x030000 card=0x078e1028 chip=0x98e41002 rev=0xd2 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'
device = 'Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics]'
class = display
According to this X.org wiki
the GPU with the engineering name STONEY is from the Volcanic Islands video card family. The AMD-GPU-Matrix comments the use of the "amdgpu" kernel module (third row, counting from last row up).

Try kld_list="amdgpu" in /etc/rc.conf.

T-Daemon, I tried your suggestion to no avail. I've also tried the following:

kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
kld_list="amdgpu"
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"

Now although, I can see drm.ko when I run kldstat. So that doesn't seem to be an issue.

I've also installed graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod via pkg first and ports later. I've also installed graphics/drm-kmod via ports.

I also attempted to install graphics/drm-legacy-kmod via ports, but I was warned that it's going to be deprecated in a few days. So I did not proceed ahead.

Update: Now I also installed graphics/drm-legacy-kmod via ports. But it did not help.

I hope things get sorted in the next release. I also hope my hardware of AMD E2 and Radeon graphics card, does not remain unsupported.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a good year ahead.

kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
kld_list="amdgpu"
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
Just in case it is not clear; there should only be one of these lines active in /etc/rc.conf at a time. Comment out the others when you are testing.

tingo, I just did that while keeping just one of the three in turns, and commenting the others. None of them work.

However, for the second entry (kld_list="amdgpu") the boot up screen's layout seems more compact and brightly lit than the other two.

Should I also re-install Xorg package and build everything from ports ? To just remind, I'm running FREEBSD-12.2 RELEASE.

tingo, I just did that while keeping just one of the three in turns, and commenting the others. None of them work.

However, for the second entry (kld_list="amdgpu") the boot up screen's layout seems more compact and brightly lit than the other two.
Now, when it boots up, see the kldstat and post the result here. Also see the dmesg -a|grep drm

Alexander88207, OK I won't build it then.

Argentum, the following is the output of kldstat from a few seconds ago:

1609267662400.png

View attachment 8949
You just said that you have amdgpu, but here I can see radeonkms. What is your exact GPU model? Radeon and amdgpu are different animals. You should load the correct one.

If you load radeonkms, but you do not have one, nothing happens. It just sits there. You can unload it by kldunload radeonkms.ko

Argentum, initially I had all 3 entries in /etc/rc.conf when tingo advised me to keep only one. So I tried each one of them while commenting the other two, but none work.

I noted that the entry with "amdgpu" results in a somewhat more compact screen. Right now I have the entry kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko" in /etc/rc.conf

This is the output after running pciconf -lv | grep vga -3 . It is Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics]

1609268662200.png

Argentum, initially I had all 3 entries in /etc/rc.conf when tingo advised me to keep only one. So I tried each one of them while commenting the other two, but none work.

I noted that the entry with "amdgpu" results in a somewhat more compact screen. Right now I have the entry kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko" in /etc/rc.conf

This is the output after running pciconf -lv | grep vga -3 . It is Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics]

View attachment 8950
OK. Seems this is Radeon. Now, what happens if you run Xorg -configure and see the file /root/xorg.conf.new

P.S. Do not post images. Post plain text.

View attachment 8949

Radeonkms is still active, you are using a STONEY chipset which is supported by AMDGPU (kld_list="amdgpu").

After trying can you post the /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

BTW, do you only have xorg installed or also an desktop enviroment?

a missing dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf is creating a blackscreen if there is a DM behind.

Argentum, actually yesterday I logged off after it was past midnight. So I'm replying now.

This is the output of Xorg -configure

# Xorg -configure
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again
(EE)
(EE)
Please consult the X.Org foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help
(EE)

The file /root/xorg.conf.new does not exist.

You mean, font becomes smaller and looking more neat? That would mean, framebuffer mode is working and, generally, your video driver working as well.
If so, you might need some config in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory, after all. Although what the guys say is right and in most cases you don't need it, in some cases you do.
Judging from your Xorg.0.log it works.
Next question: do you have x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics installed? Is it a laptop you're using?

View attachment 8923
I did not proceed with the installation because its going to be deprecated in a few days from today. I have already installed graphics/drm-kmod and graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod earlier.

I've also added the line, kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko" in to /etc/rc.conf file. Now my kldstat shows that drm.ko and radeonkms.ko are loaded.

View attachment 8922

Alexander88207, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron with 4 GB RAM, and AMD E2 processor and a Radeon graphics card.
BTW, on the picture above I can see as good GRAPHIC MODE as one could dream of. It's xterm running in X window system. Which evidently means, your problem is NOT the driver, but your DE config.

free-and-bsd, yes the font has become smaller and looks neater.

I checked x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics. It wasn't installed. So I installed it and restarted my system, only to see the mouse is also no longer working. The desktop did not appear as well.

So, I had to deinstall it.

What changes should I do in the DE config ?

free-and-bsd, I have the xfce environment. I'm using a DELL Inspiron laptop with 4 GB RAM, E2 7th Gen processor and Radeon graphics card.

I am facing a similar issue. I upgraded to FreeBSD-12.2-Release. But now after typing
Code:
startx
only the top bar and bottom bar appear. The desktop is blank, and none of the icons are visible.

My screen looks like this:
View attachment 8866

Also, the mouse pad doesn't work to click by tapping. I can only move the mouse around. I have to use the left and right buttons to click.

I have tried to build
Code:
usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
using ports. But I got an error saying,
Code:
drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20201016 requires kernel source files in SRC_BASE = /usr/src
The issue you're having is NOT similar to the OP. You have a worknig X with mouse basically working except synaptics specific functionality. You don't need to use another driver. If the driver was wrong you would NOT have succeeded this far with your desktop. Black screen means black background. Has nothing to do with the driver.

free-and-bsd, but before I upgraded to 12.2, my desktop had icons and some background. Now I can only see a black background. I can't even access some folders like Downloads.

Also, the mouse no longer responds to the touch-pad's clicks. It only responds to left and right buttons. This was working properly before the upgrade.

Should I modify the settings of Xfce (which was working properly before the upgrade) ?

free-and-bsd, but before I upgraded to 12.2, my desktop had icons and some background. Now I can only see a black background. I can't even access some folders like Downloads.

Also, the mouse no longer responds to the touch-pad's clicks. It only responds to left and right buttons. This was working properly before the upgrade.

Should I modify the settings of Xfce (which was working properly before the upgrade) ?
It must be synaptics configuration this time, NOT your video driver.
Just remember this as a starting point: once you have black (or any other color) screen with a mouse MOVING on it -- it basically means Xorg + driver is working. Some buttons not working on your mouse -- is not the same as a completely frozen non-responsive mouse (as in the OP). It makes all the difference. Your Xorg.0.log was showing some trouble going on about your touchpad. But you can't get very much from that log -- just see if there IS any trouble.
In fact xf86-input-synaptics IS the right driver for touchpads. I tried this on my Lenovo Thinkpad T61. It's a separate topic, you see. Better maybe not mix it in here.

Black screen (no background) would mean, in your case, background settings are missing somehow. Say, your XFCE got upgraded, but now your user config for Desktop background points to a non-existent file.

And regarding ports/packages.
For a newby I would rather recommend to install packages (pkg install), which then can be upgraded. Upgrades may not come as often, but... as a starter you can still make use of it. What specific sophisticated hardware/software do you have that you would need to build ports manually?

Back