startx black screen

I have installed FreeBSD 12.2 onto my T420 today, I've done default install using installer tty, then installed xorg, xf86-intel-video and xfce, and added dbus.enable="YES" to rc.conf and startxfce4 into .xinitrc. When I run startx it puts me into black screen with cursor in top left corner(or maybe just random white square) and is completely untesponsive, not even C-Alt-F1 works- I shat it down using power button. I've installed it few months ago and it worked fine, am I missing something?

Refer to FreeBSD DRM and Graphics Support. You probably need to install drm-kmod from the Ports Collection.

In case of Intel:
cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-kmod
make install clean

/etc/rc.conf
Code:
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
If you don't have /usr/ports installed, then:
portsnap fetch extract
Done it, now it gives me that "cannot connect to framebuffer mode" error. Installing xf86-intel-video fixed it last time but I've already installed it here.

Please post your Xorg.0.log to pastebin or somewhere and pr
I tried using pastebinit but it gave me error, I found this picture in another thread, I cropped of first part which is different for me but errors are the same.
errors.jpg

I am facing a similar issue. I upgraded to FreeBSD-12.2-Release. But now after typing
Code:
startx
only the top bar and bottom bar appear. The desktop is blank, and none of the icons are visible.

My screen looks like this:
1607869608000.png

Also, the mouse pad doesn't work to click by tapping. I can only move the mouse around. I have to use the left and right buttons to click.

I have tried to build
Code:
usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
using ports. But I got an error saying,
Code:
drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20201016 requires kernel source files in SRC_BASE = /usr/src

Yes, Abhid, you need to install the sources for your version of FreeBSD in order to be able to build kernel modules from ports. Search for it in these forums, there are several threads which explains how to install the sources.

Yes, Abhid, you need to install the sources for your version of FreeBSD in order to be able to build kernel modules from ports. Search for it in these forums, there are several threads which explains how to install the sources.
tingo, actually I faced this problem after I executed
Code:
portupgrade -a
The build ran for almost 4 days, and this problem came after that. So, I'm a little skeptical of running it all over again. Are there any specific ports to build ?

Code:
portupgrade -a
The build ran for almost 4 days, and this problem came after that. So, I'm a little skeptical of running it all over again. Are there any specific ports to build ?
1.) Don't mix ports with packages (unless you know what you are doing), it wil break your system, so stay with packages.
2.) To get FreeBSD 12.2 sources go to /usr/src and type: svn checkout https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/12.2. After you have sources installed on your system you can build graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod.
Code:
cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
make package
cd work/pkg
pkg add drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20200221.txz
cd ../.. && make clean

Code:
portupgrade -a
Try to isolate your problem.

1. See if your DRM is loaded properly. You can do it without any X. Just load your DRM and send us the output of your kldstat and dmesg -a|grep drm;
2. Try to run Xorg -configure. This will check the configuration and write it in file. See the output file xorg.conf.new;
3. If these steps are good, after that try to run your X based applications.

Hi Minbari. I tried your suggestion. Actually first I had to update FreeBSD from source using this documentation. Today I followed the steps you suggested, but unfortunately my desktop is still blank.

Argentum, I'll try your suggestion now. Let's hope it works. Thanks.

Argentum, dmesg -a | grep drm gave no output.

Running kldstat gave this output:
1608460319600.png

So I think that drm module is not loaded.

As per discussions with senior member SirDice on another thread, my graphics card isn't detected and it falls back to vesa(4).

Then I ran Xorg -configure, which gave the following output:
1608460601500.png

Argentum, I modified my /etc/rc.conf file and added the line, kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"

Then I restarted my system to see no improvement.

Earlier this evening, I had also re-installed the graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod package via ports, as suggested by this thread. But still there's no improvement.

Argentum, I modified my /etc/rc.conf file and added the line, kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"

Then I restarted my system to see no improvement.

Earlier this evening, I had also re-installed the graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod package via ports, as suggested by this thread. But still there's no improvement.
I can see from your kldstat that you have no DRM loaded. Have you installed graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod?

You should also include the [B]kld_list[/B] according to your actual hardware. But from your kldstat I can see that you have not activated the DRM.

I can see from your kldstat that you have no DRM loaded. Have you installed graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod?

You should also include the [B]kld_list[/B] according to your actual hardware. But from your kldstat I can see that you have not activated the DRM.
Argentum, I have installed graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod from ports, as per suggestions from this thread. To determine my hardware type, I had run
pciconf -lv | grep -3 to get this output:

Code:
vgapci0@pci0:0:1:0: class=0x030000 card=0x078e1028 chip=0x98e41002 rev=0xd2 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'
device = 'Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics]'
class = display
subclass = VGA

So I modified /etc/rc.conf file and added the line, kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"

Then I restarted my system only to see the same problem again.

Argentum, I have installed graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod from ports, as per suggestions from this thread. To determine my hardware type, I had run
pciconf -lv | grep -3 to get this output:

Code:
vgapci0@pci0:0:1:0: class=0x030000 card=0x078e1028 chip=0x98e41002 rev=0xd2 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'
device = 'Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics]'
class = display
subclass = VGA

So I modified /etc/rc.conf file and added the line, kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"

Then I restarted my system only to see the same problem again.
Have you tried graphics/drm-legacy-kmod also?

Argentum, dmesg -a | grep drm gave no output.

Running kldstat gave this output:
View attachment 8897
Your kldstat shows thar you have no DRM loaded. Even if you have unsupported hardware, you should have the drm.ko module in kldstat visible. That means you have no good DRM to load. Reinstall the DRM.

Please note, that after upgrading the system you have to recompile the DRM. At least when you use ports.

Again, find out why your DRM is not loaded. You can try to load it manually with kldload.

Argentum, I tried to install graphics/drm-legacy-kmod but I got the following output:
1608837702300.png

I did not proceed with the installation because its going to be deprecated in a few days from today. I have already installed graphics/drm-kmod and graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod earlier.

I've also added the line, kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko" in to /etc/rc.conf file. Now my kldstat shows that drm.ko and radeonkms.ko are loaded.

1608837461000.png

Alexander88207, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron with 4 GB RAM, and AMD E2 processor and a Radeon graphics card.

Back