Situation with Intel graphics Haswell, Broadwell

Sad to know and to think that things are quite behind in terms of Intel display driver support.
This project aims to reach parity with Linux 3.8 but Linux has already made even greater strides in recent kernels (up to 3.19).

I read somewhere in this forum that Linux is becoming very much like Windows. That's not true.

Looks like I should get involved with this project.

Besides all other contributions, FreeBSD got a 10 million US dollars donation and still has no Haswell graphics support? DragonflyBSD and OpenBSD seem to support it and these are much smaller compared to FreeBSD. Is this a problem of leadership? Leadership is clear in both of those two projects.

That was a memory trick, it's one million :)
I mention leadership because I can think of two possibilities. Haswell graphics support is not anything similar to a priority for the FreeBSD project and if so, that's odd for me, as Intel is everywhere and it has been a 'friend' of free software. Or, if it was some kind of prirority, how could other much smaller projects get Haswell support much sooner? For what I've written, regarding DragonFlyBSD, their approach has been different from the one take by FreeBSD regarding this issue. Any of these seem to me as leadership issues.

Nah, its just that you are disappointed that the FreeBSD project has different priorities than what you think it should have. Your priorities are not my priorities - deal with it. (No, I'm not speaking for the FreeBSD project)

Nah, its just that you are disappointed that the FreeBSD project has different priorities than what you think it should have. Your priorities are not my priorities - deal with it. (No, I'm not speaking for the FreeBSD project)

The FreeBSD team may not care how they are perceived by onlookers, but the lack of modern Intel graphics support certainly influences people's perception of FreeBSD. It keeps new users away, who in the future might have otherwise become experienced FreeBSD developers. This could have a long-term impact (especially with DragonFlyBSD touting Haswell graphics support; check out their website).

It's not so much that people don't care, it's that the set of people who know FreeBSD and Linux graphics driver development and are willing to work on FreeBSD porting, usually by volunteers, is very small. There was a pretty long time before KMS was available on FreeBSD, and that set us back. (It's not a unique situation. There are lots of things FreeBSD needs. The opposite is also true, there are things that FreeBSD has that other systems do not, for similar reasons.)

Anyway, it is (still) being worked on. Encouraging noises are starting to be made.

I can confirm that Intel HD Graphics 4600 is not supported yet as of FreeBSD 10.2.

Tested on Thinkpad w541 with i7-4810MQ.

It is a bummer, since the nvidia card on newer Thinkpad W540 and W541 can be used only through the docker (bios does not allow otherwise).

So, Intel HD 4600 has no working driver yet, and nvidia card is shut off by firmware. I am not sure what to do, vesa is too slow for my needs.

New update on the Wiki.

Current status (2015-09-17)
The updated i915 graphics driver now compiles. The next step is to test it on Intel hardware. Johannes Dieterich helps with this, as we are both in Toronto for the XDC 2015 and my laptop is Radeon-based.

The branch is on GitHub: https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-base-graphics/tree/drm-i915-update-38

It's probably still too early to test yourself. We will post updates as soon as we have something ready.

I'll have to try testing it. It might be worth grabbing a snapshot now before this and head become too out of sync.

Hi all!
I have notebook ASUS X555LJ Intel Core i3 4005U nVidia GeForce and etc.
Graphics Haswell - Intel HD 4400.
On FreeBSD 10.2R X.org not detect video adapter.
/usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel not detect adapter
Work with VESA /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa is bad - need reboot after run startx ..

So I want to ask.
Which version of this graphics adapter exactly work? Do I need to update the version of the operating system from 10.2 to 10.3 or 11.0? Just read and tried does not work on version 10.2 for FreeBSD.

On the forum a bunch of scattered information, and there are no precise instructions.

As far as I understand it, the short answer is not working yet in 10.x. Some people have had (some) success with 11-CURRENT, I wasn't one of them. You can test it, and even though it doesn't work, your responses may help those trying to get it to work, following the wiki instructions.
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update i915 GPU driver to Linux 3.8

User byuu has a post about how they speeded things up using /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa, but the explanation was a bit over my head--that is, as the readings I was getting were different, I wasn't able to figure out what to change to get similar performance values. I'm pretty dumb though, so maybe it will be of more use to you.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/46723/#post-261274

Also there is a discrepancy.

In the driver x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel stated the following adapters:
(From /var/log/Xorg.0.log)
Code:
[  1243.135] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Chipsets:
  i810, i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G,
  915G, E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM,
  Pineview G, 965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33,
  GM45, 4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, HD Graphics,
  HD Graphics 2000, HD Graphics 3000, HD Graphics 2500,
  HD Graphics 4000, HD Graphics P4000, HD Graphics 4600,
  HD Graphics 5000, HD Graphics P4600/P4700, Iris(TM) Graphics 5100,
  HD Graphics 4400, HD Graphics 4200, Iris(TM) Pro Graphics 5200

On page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units
may be find description about Core i3-4005U and find:
Graphics HD Graphics 4400 with Code name Haswell Launch On 2013 year.

Why is it not the same?

Since September 2013 it has been a long time.

And You want to say that this is not the built-in graphics adapter which supports the driver?
I just don't understand anything anymore.
The Declaration of the same, and actually other.

Don't know how the developers think, but why not implement it in the two branches 10-STABLE and 11-CURRENT?
As I understand it, kernel changes are necessary to fully support the drivers. If those changes were made to 10-STABLE, it would break ABI compatibility with existing software, the whole reason there is a 10-STABLE.

As far as the rest, sorry, there are so many forms of emphasis in those posts that it is difficult to understand what point is being made.

Hello guys!
As far as I can tell, the support for Haswell is nearly done! That's great news!
Is it reasonable to expect a new driver in (one of) the next update?
Not that I don't like 1024*768 VESA (it reminds me of the good old days on Atari ST. I had 320*200 on the telly), but I could use some higher res.

Back