Situation with Intel graphics Haswell, Broadwell

wblock@

Beastie Himself
Developer

I've been running 11-stable on my Haswell notebook system since May or so (before it was 11-stable). Works very well. 1920x1080 on that system.

FSG

Really?? Could it be my PC-BSD setup that get on the way? I ran the display config tool a couple of weeks ago and nothing was working but VESA.
I suppose there's some config files I could modify manually... any pointers?

Atsuri

Hello guys!
As far as I can tell, the support for Haswell is nearly done! That's great news!
Is it reasonable to expect a new driver in (one of) the next update?
Not that I don't like 1024*768 VESA (it reminds me of the good old days on Atari ST. I had 320*200 on the telly), but I could use some higher res.

The i915kms module is already part of the 11.0-* kernels, ready for release in September, I think. I'm using it on my Haswell Asus S301LA Vivobook as we speak :). Despite minor glitches when the driver is being loaded, everything works fine. I'm using a resolution of 1366x768, switching ttys works, killing and calling X11 fully operative, etc. I think you're good to go, unless you have a Skylake.

EDIT: Got ninaj'd, heh.

I think the current PC-BSD release is based on FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE, so no Haswell support there yet, I'm afraid.

FSG

After (backing up my files and) reinstalling, I run on 1920*1080 now tough the system seems to think it is on VESA.
Looks more like a PC-BSD specific glitch, anyway I'm happy enough to not try and tinker further :)

And while I'm at it, don't forget to promote the FreeBSD Foundation, you happy users, funding is lagging behind target.
I posted an update on LinkedIn, feel free to "like" it to spread the word! Here it is : www.linkedin.com/hp/update/6171372440652906496
Sorry for the digression.

scottro

Daemon

Still not working out of box for me with BETA2 on a Yoga2. (Works with vesa). <Homer Simpson voice> Stupid Yoga2. I believe it's HD4400 (don't have the machine with me as I type.)

The wireless on it (an Intel 7260), does work on 11.0--I think it did from the time it was CURRENT.

FSG

Still not working out of box (Works with vesa).... HD4400

To be precise it wasn't working out of the box for me neither, but going through the installer I eventually got to the display setup screen, where you get to choose the driver and resolution.
I tried everything without success (Intel, Intel3D,..) until VESA 1920*1080. It just worked.
[Prior to reinstall I was limited to 1024*768 VESA]
Hope it can help someone else!

scottro

Daemon

Ah, I see. Yeah, Vesa works for me, just, with that card on that machine, it's painfully slow. But thank you for the additional information.

ScopeDog

I have just installed FreeBSD 11 to my Haswell machine.
X seemed to be working first with 1920x1200 but blacks out my screen when I play a video at YouTube.
Anyway, does anyone know if special kernel modules or something are needed on boot with FreeBSD 11?
There is little information on it. Actually I want xorg.conf also.

ScopeDog

I have just installed FreeBSD 11 to my Haswell machine.
X seemed to be working first with 1920x1200 but blacks out my screen when I play a video at YouTube.
Anyway, does anyone know if special kernel modules or something are needed on boot with FreeBSD 11?
There is little information on it. Actually I want xorg.conf also.

I have noticed that the kernel modules like i915kms.ko, drm2.ko seem to be automatically loaded.
Anyway, playing a YouTube video with Firefox and SeaMonkey blacks out my screen and Chrome looks OK.
But Chrome sometimes stalls while loading a page, makes too many processes and eats much memory.
Well, I will check Xorg with a debug option some day.