Share your NAS FreeBSD based distribution (for FreeBSD users) or NAS service directly on FreeBSD experience

I'm not quite sure if it's correct using the term NAS for it,
but I simply added several disks into my old PC, placed it in the attic without keyboard, nor monitor,
connected it to our LAN, to have some shared storage (13TB) accessable to all machines within our LAN.

I simply installed 'ordinary' FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE on it (updated it of course; now it runs 13.3).
vim, samba, svn, rkhunter, and rsync are the only packages I added.
Configured NFS, and samba.
That's it.
Works.
Works fine.

… It’s standard as I understand that you can run a higher point release on a lower point release host. You can run any 13.x jail on any 13.x host.

But the main release version must stay the same.

According to <https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/640586>, a 13.2 jail on a 13.1 host was not supported.

1722800255389.pngThe FreeBSD Handbook offers a tip.

I'm not quite sure if it's correct using the term NAS for it,
That's what most people would call a NAS.

In my basement, there is one FreeBSD machine. It is a NAS (it servers files via NFS, sometimes Samba when I can be bothered to configure it, and HTTP). It is also a network router (with pf firewall), a network server (DNS, DHCP, NTP, lpd), and one of the machines I often log in to do work. It is de-facto headless (the monitor and keyboard are only used for minimal maintenance, when the network is down).

(the monitor and keyboard are only used for minimal maintenance, when the network is down).
...or when I messed up things so badly, the system does not reach a level for ssh-usage 😂

Yes, you're right, thanks.
I sometimes like to tend to some understatement about my things; especially when seeing what the pros here maintain and deal with it daily...

I found a script here that did a small amount of snapshot replication but not near enough of what I wanted it to do. So I forked it, added a bunch of functionality, and submitted a PR. It was accepted, so now I have pretty much everything I need for a zfs backup on XigmaNAS.

Can be called via cron, and even has a small script to “tail” the last log file for a SUCCESS or FAILED status.

Back