Scroll Lock keeps exiting

Hi,

I'm testing out FreeBSD10 in a VM environment. I'm not sure if this is expected behavior, as I'm new to FreeBSD, but every time I try to scroll back using the Scroll-Lock -> Arrow keys the screen drops back to the end where the input cursor is. Is it possible to change this behavior? I tried hitting Ctrl-s in hopes of freezing the screen, though, this proved to be impossible as well; the screen is back at the cursor before I can even react.

I'm well-aware of using different Pagers, e.g. less, more, etc., but I'd rather figure out how to get the desired behavior from the Scroll-Lock key method.

Is the FreeBSD VM showing a plain console? That is the only place where the Scroll Lock works, it does not work in X. Or your VM software might be interfering.

It's without X on the tty console. Once I got the X session running, I can always use tmux or screen in xterm. However, based on the documentation, the tty console Scroll-Lock behavior is unusual, as it exits right away without any input from me.

I hit the Scroll-Lock key, the cursor changes from the wide, highlighted to the narrow cursor for 1-2 seconds and exits to the wide, highlighted again.

Once I got the X session running, I can always use tmux or screen in xterm.
You do know you can use these on the console? You don't need X for them to work.

I hit the Scroll-Lock key, the cursor changes from the wide, highlighted to the narrow cursor for 1-2 seconds and exits to the wide, highlighted again.
That does sound as though the VM software might be interfering.

Yes, I know I can use tmux and screen in a tty session; my point was that if tmux is not already installed or if it's not running. I had the same assumptions about the VM software. Where/how is the Scroll-Lock feature implemented/documented? Is it at all configurable/customizable?

You need to look in the documentation for the hypervisor you are using. Many of them intercept / use "special" keys like scroll lock.

Back