Screen size weird and font too small

Fundamentally though I think you just need to resize your browser window and adjust your fonts to taste. There's nothing wrong with your graphics stack, X11 or freebsd in this case. Your hardware is a (fairly) standard 16:9 panel, nothing exotic. I can't find anything working incorrectly now.
Here you go - you can still see the space on the sides and the font size
[Image deleted but similar to OP image]
I don't think this is a driver problem. The browser window was sized to only half the height of the physical screen.
That was because of the screenshot from the browser? As I mentioned earlier

OK, so you just need to reconfigure your browser fonts, maybe there are other browser layout options for that. The browser itself is making that layout.

2023-04-03-19:21:03_1280x800.png

This is what I get. It's firefox that is rendering your image. There might be some setting you have to tweak like this:- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/994596

OK, so you just need to reconfigure your browser fonts, maybe there are other browser layout options for that. The browser itself is making that layout.
Back to square one? :D It's the same **across** browsers. Whether Chrome or Firefox or Iridium. And also apps that I install have a weird font/reading size - that's why it's a pain to do it manually for every app.
This is what I get. It's firefox that is rendering your image.
No - that's Chrome(ium) rendering the image NOT Firefox - the one I shared.

I guess there's no resolution to the issue. Not sure if it makes any difference but I used to use an external display sometimes on the old laptop - with xrandr - that's the only thing that comes to mind that may be relevant for this. Nothing else I can think of to rectify the situation - seems like a dead end.

PS: Deleting images soon

OK, chromium. Here's chromium on my box (first image). I can make mine look similar to yours by hitting ctrl- a few times (ctrl and '-' key) (second image). Try hitting ctrl-+ (ctrl and '+') key in your browser window a few times. If I hit ctrl - a few more times the effect becomes even more extreme. It's just font rezising.

Attachments

• 2023-04-03-19:37:06_1280x800.png
    2023-04-03-19:37:06_1280x800.png
    158.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 2023-04-03-19:37:16_1280x800.png
    2023-04-03-19:37:16_1280x800.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 2023-04-03-19:39:13_1280x800.png
    2023-04-03-19:39:13_1280x800.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 43
itsthosestonesman Erichans I have been using it by setting the zoom at 125% in Settings -> Appearance since the past few days

However this is only browser specific and doesn't solve the issue, nor is the scaling particularly pleasant to look at.

I usually set the following in ~/.Xresources (don't forget to xrdb it) when not running any DE:
Code:
Xft.dpi:  192

That is for 4K monitor, for lower resolutions 144 is usually fine.

Back to square one? :D It's the same **across** browsers. Whether Chrome or Firefox or Iridium. And also apps that I install have a weird font/reading size - that's why it's a pain to do it manually for every app.

No - that's Chrome(ium) rendering the image NOT Firefox - the one I shared.

I guess there's no resolution to the issue. Not sure if it makes any difference but I used to use an external display sometimes on the old laptop - with xrandr - that's the only thing that comes to mind that may be relevant for this. Nothing else I can think of to rectify the situation - seems like a dead end.

PS: Deleting images soon
Yes, there is no global font setting. Some desktop environments like kde let you configure fonts used in other programs in one place, but window managers typically don't. Browsers have their own font config. Terminals like xterm have their own font config (app-defaults). The fonts mess is one of the problems that the desktop environments like kde and gnome have been trying to solve. But there is no bug as such here. There's nothing faulty in your graphics stack or the kernel or video drivers. That's X11.

When you moved the SSD from the old laptop to the new one, the font config used on the old screen is still present when you run that drive on the new screen. All you can do is reconfigure.

There is a bit of history behind this. X11 always had "mechanism not policy" as one of it's design goals (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System_protocols_and_architecture). In that respect it is a different approach to MS windows and apple. The idea was to provide mechanisms by which UI systems could be built, without mandating policies (such as "all you application programs shall read your default font configuration from this central place"). Another aspect of "mechanism not policy" is the plethora of window managers, gui toolkits and libraries eg motif, qt, gtk, etc that have been built on top of X, compared to things like macos and windows.

In other words, not being able to set default fonts in a single central place for all applications running on an X-server is in the architecture.

And bear in mind that this is behaviour you will see on any X11 system, regardless of the underlying operating system. You would see exactly the same issue if you were running the same client software (your tiling WM, chromium, etc) on linux.

When you moved the SSD from the old laptop to the new one, the font config used on the old screen is still present when you run that drive on the new screen. All you can do is reconfigure.
By reconfigure I'm guessing you mean reconfigure it for all apps. I'm genuinely considering a reinstall too now.
There is a bit of history behind this. X11 always had "mechanism not policy" as one of it's design goals (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System_protocols_and_architecture).
Thanks - will try to read up.
And bear in mind that this is behaviour you will see on any X11 system, regardless of the underlying operating system. You would see exactly the same issue if you were running the same client software (your tiling WM, chromium, etc) on linux.
Gotcha

This is why I suggested try kde or gnome. You can install it alongside your existing WM and use sddm to choose which one you use. You can make kde work in tiling mode too if you want.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86is0VNizq4

I shifted the hard drive from another laptop - now the fonts somehow appear pretty small (is it just my eyes? I hope not) - and websites in the browser as well are leaving too much space on the sides - for eg this image from google search shows how much blank space there is on the sides .......... how do I fix this for a "normal" font/appearance ?View attachment 15936
I have scaling in the .Xresources file which I chose what works for me

Xft.dpi: 141
!Xft.dpi: 192
!Xft.dpi: 125

make sure that .xinitrc merge the .Xresources

xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults

Back