Screen size weird and font too small

Can confirm it's quite a pain to resize fonts individually - wish there was a global setting of sorts. Becomes quite a chore to do it for literally every new application.

It's all a bit strange to be honest. Sure you've moved from a lower res. screen to a higher res one, but not astronomically so. I'm surprised you're having so many problems.

Just for interest, have you tried a different window manager? Try a full desktop environment like gnome or kde? If you install sddm as well you can choose which window mgr to use from the login screen.

Also, can you take a screenshot and post here so we can see what you're talking about?

I guess you moved the disk from the old laptop to the new one, so all the fonts are what you had setup for the old screen. It still seems a bit strange.

It's all a bit strange to be honest. Sure you've moved from a lower res. screen to a higher res one, but not astronomically so. I'm surprised you're having so many problems.
Maybe it's a combination of smaller fonts plus my eyes being used to the bigger one earlier and/or something about my sight - dunno.
Just for interest, have you tried a different window manager? Try a full desktop environment like gnome or kde? If you install sddm as well you can choose which window mgr to use from the login screen.
I like my tiling manager too much to use kde/gnome

Also, can you take a screenshot and post here so we can see what you're talking about?
Its there in the OP question/thread starter itself - take a look at the margins of the search - just seems like a lot of unutilised space with this smaller font - kinda becomes worse with reading something for extended periods of time - puts a strain.

1680538754099.png

So is this what the whole physical screen looks like? You've maximised the browser window? It seems to be a strange aspect ratio... extremely wide and not very high...

Then OP I think what you're seeing is just a consequence of the extreme aspect ratio of your screen. If it really is 32:9.

Hang on though... we have the xdpyinfo output
screen #0:
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
resolution: 96x96 dots per inch
depths (7): 24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16,

508 / 1920
285 / 1080

So you have a 0.264 mm dot pitch in both directions. Square pixels. Aspect ratio must be 16:9, I think.

If your old laptop was something like 1080x720, that implies a 3:2 aspect ratio. So the additonal space you are seeing at the sides is due to the much wider aspect ratio of the new panel. There's not much you can do about that so long as you keep square pixels. All you can do is scale the fonts in the browser and other apps to match the smaller dot pitch of the new panel.

I don't understand how the AR can be 32:9, unless there's something I'm missing. Is xdpyinfo only giving the data for half the screen?

Was rather long - here is the pastebin
Xorg.0.log outputs:
Code:
[    31.999] (II) modeset(0): glamor X acceleration enabled on Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2)
I don't understand why i915kms.ko isn't used by Xorg. As you also seem to have a '32:9, also known as "super" ultra-wide' monitor, perhaps it would help getting i915kms to work. Could you give the output of: kldstat -vn i915kms.ko and freebsd-version -kru

Your screenshot .png file appears to be an image 1915x591 pixels in size.

me3@eep3:~/Downloads $ identify googlebigscreen.png
googlebigscreen.png PNG 1915x591 1915x591+0+0 8-bit sRGB 150751B 0.008u 0:00.000

Which doesn't match what xdpyinfo says is the resolution of your screen (1920x1080). Is what you've shown a screenshot of the browser window rather than the full screen? (Assuming the forum software hasn't put it through some transform for some reason).

kldstat -vn i915kms.ko
Code:
kldstat -vn i915kms.ko
Id Refs Address                Size Name
10    1 0xffffffff834f9000   1858b8 i915kms.ko (/boot/modules/i915kms.ko)
    Contains modules:
         Id Name
        514 i915kms
        513 pci/lkpi_pciidlist
freebsd-version -kru
Code:
freebsd-version -kru
13.1-RELEASE-p6
13.1-RELEASE-p6
13.1-RELEASE-p7
Is what you've shown a screenshot of the browser window rather than the full screen?
Yes - that's correct - it was a full screenshot from within the browser.

Also - this is a normal laptop screen - not sure how it is being called "super ultra-wide" monitor screen - and the size of the screen is almost the same as the previous laptop screen - only the resolution is higher.

I don't understand why i915kms.ko isn't used by Xorg. As you also seem to have a '32:9, also known as "super" ultra-wide' monitor, perhaps it would help getting i915kms to work.
How ? I thought the driver was loaded in kldstat and it was working 🤔

OK, can you take a screenshot of the entire screen. If your wm doesn't have a keybinding to do that, you can use a program called scrot, like this:-

As root:-
# pkg install scrot

then as you
$ mkdir Pictures (if it doesn't already exist)

Then use this little script:-

me3@eep3:~/bin $ cat screenshot.sh
#!/bin/sh
scrot '%F-%T_$wx$h.png' -e 'mv $f ~/Pictures/'

When you run the program it will do a screen grab of your entire screen and write a .png file fo ~/Pictures.

Then post it here.

OK, can you take a screenshot of the entire screen. If your wm doesn't have a keybinding to do that, you can use a program called scrot, like this:-

As root:-
# pkg install scrot

then as you
$ mkdir Pictures (if it doesn't already exist)

Then use this little script:-

me3@eep3:~/bin $ cat screenshot.sh
#!/bin/sh
scrot '%F-%T_$wx$h.png' -e 'mv $f ~/Pictures/'

When you run the program it will do a screen grab of your entire screen and write a .png file fo ~/Pictures.

Then post it here.
Ok installed scrot and took a png screenshot - pkg couldn't search for identify but file manager program shows 1920x1080 for the png image

Now what?

ok, but I want to see it with the browser window with all the space at each side, like your screenshot in the first post

Fundamentally though I think you just need to resize your browser window and adjust your fonts to taste. There's nothing wrong with your graphics stack, X11 or freebsd in this case. Your hardware is a (fairly) standard 16:9 panel, nothing exotic. I can't find anything working incorrectly now.

How ? I thought the driver was loaded in kldstat and it was working 🤔 [*]
I may have missed something but:
I had a quick look at your Xorg.0.log, that machine is using the modesetting driver with glamor acceleration, and the screen is 1920x1080, which doesn't seem particularly high. You don't have the intel driver loaded, you would need to install xf86-video-intel to use that driver, however the modesetting driver should work fine, the log looks OK.
and in your Xorg.0.log I see:
Code:
[    31.398] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
IIRC somewhere there should be a reference to i915, but I'm not absolutely sure about that. Perhaps someone with Xorg and using the i915kms driver could confirm or deny that.

___
[*] You are absolutely right that the i915kms driver is loaded (as confirmed by kldstat) but it does not seem to be used by Xorg. On my very old laptop with no iGPU whatsoever, I can happily specify kld_list="i915kms" and it will get loaded without any error, but there is no way it can be utilized by my CPU or my NVIDIA graphics card.

Back