Solved Samba411 sometimes drops creation date

I tried to upgrade my file server from samba410 to samba411, but I had to revert back to 4.10 because of a very strange issue:
The creation date of some folders is not transferred to the client. This is causing problems because I'm using a Mac to access my shares and Finder greys out the affected folders, not allowing me to open them. I can browse everything through the terminal, which is how I found out about the missing creation date ( ls -lU only shows the placeholder "24 Jan. 1984").
  • Running ls -lU directly on the server, I can confirm that a all folders have a creation date, it just isn't transmitted by Samba 4.11 for some reason.
  • After some further testing, it seems that all folders that were copied over using Finder are affected. Their creation exists on the server, but, when the server runs Samba 4.11, not on the client.
  • It does not seem to have anything to do with permissions, which are the same for both working and broken folders.
  • Files are not affected, only folders.
Here's part of my smb4.conf:
Code:
[global]
  create mask         = 0775
  directory mask      = 0775
  force create mode   = 0775
  force directory mode= 0775

follow symlinks = yes

unix extensions = yes

acl allow execute always = yes
  spotlight = yes
  guest account = nobody

vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr recycle
  recycle:touch = yes
  recycle:keeptree = yes
  fruit:model = MacSamba
  fruit:advertise_fullsync = true
  fruit:veto_appledouble = no
  fruit:aapl = yes
  fruit:metadata = stream

recycle:exclude = *.sb-*, ._*

# Umlaut support
  unix charset = UTF-8

inherit acls = yes

[homes]
  comment = User home directories
  writeable = yes
  browseable = no

Did Samba 4.11 change anything about file attributes, or anything else related to them? I'll appreciate any pointers in the right direction.

Edit: The issue persists on 4.13, it must have been introduced by 4.11.

I didn't, for some reason I thought 4.11 was the newest available. Anyways, the issue persists on 4.13

rmextattr user DOSATTRIB [file] makes the folders accessible again, but then the creation date is gone, which isn't really what I want. It worked in 4.10 after all, I was hoping to find a fix instead of a workaround.

I don't know why this would work, since everything was fine in 4.10, but ... that was the solution. I set store dos attributes = no in my smb.conf, and everything is back to normal. No folders are greyed out, they all have a creation date, everything is just like it was. Thank you!

Back