Solved Routing traffic to jails - PF restart required after reboot

The only way it would make sense to me is if pf.conf had host(name) specified somewhere in the rule; that way it would need to translate it to IP.
All the tests I did in my VM use IPs that are not resolved and it is OK.

I personally think there's something in the setup that makes the parsing the pf.conf ambiguous. But I was not able to reproduce that when I was testing it ..

I put a small 10/100Mbps switch between the box and the router and the rules now get loaded.
If I take out the switch, I have to reload pf after every reboot.
How and why does the switch help?
P.S.: Sorry for the late reply. Been studying for exams.

Do you have a proper cable between server and router (or are you relying on autosense to do the job /straight vs crossover cable/) ? It could be that the interface is still down when the rules are being loaded. At least that was the first thought that came into my mind..

Maybe there's something mentioned in the boot log ..

I had an equal issue in the past. PF does not load at startup. I found out this was not related to jails or the cloned interfaces. It was the main interface!
The main interface get its IP over DHCP, but it seems the DHCP server is not fast enough.
I changed

ifconfig_re[I]0[/I]="DHCP"

to

ifconfig_re[I]0[/I]="SYNCDHCP"

and PF also start during boot.

I had an equal issue in the past. PF does not load at startup. I found out this was not related to jails or the cloned interfaces. It was the main interface!
The main interface get its IP over DHCP, but it seems the DHCP server is not fast enough.
I changed

ifconfig_re[I]0[/I]="DHCP"

to

ifconfig_re[I]0[/I]="SYNCDHCP"

and PF also start during boot.

This resolves the issue. Thank you.

Back