Solved replacement anti-spam filter for Sylpheed?

I use Sylpheed as mail client for one of my (old) mail accounts. It's so old that I still receive mail via POP, not IMAP (I have that option, but haven't used it yet). I have used mail/py-spambayes as the anti-spam filter solution for this for many years. Alas, py-spambayes works only with Python2.7, so when that went the way of the dodo from the ports tree, so did py-spambayes. Now I must find a new solution.

Preferably it should be a "drop-in replacement" for py-spambayes. Looking at FreshPorts, it seems that most of the anti-spam programs there are for MTAs (qmail, postfix, sendmail, etc) - that's not what I want. Also, anything that requires the use of RBLs, DKIM, SPF, etc are of no use to me for this particular solution.

With that out of the way, any recommendation for a anti-spam filter that works with Sylpheed (POP or IMAP), preferably self-learning and doesn't require centralized services? Oh yeah, it should be in the ports tree too.

I use Sylpheed as mail client for one of my (old) mail accounts. It's so old that I still receive mail via POP, not IMAP (I have that option, but haven't used it yet). I have used mail/py-spambayes as the anti-spam filter solution for this for many years. Alas, py-spambayes works only with Python2.7, so when that went the way of the dodo from the ports tree, so did py-spambayes. Now I must find a new solution.

Preferably it should be a "drop-in replacement" for py-spambayes. Looking at FreshPorts, it seems that most of the anti-spam programs there are for MTAs (qmail, postfix, sendmail, etc) - that's not what I want. Also, anything that requires the use of RBLs, DKIM, SPF, etc are of no use to me for this particular solution.

With that out of the way, any recommendation for a anti-spam filter that works with Sylpheed (POP or IMAP), preferably self-learning and doesn't require centralized services? Oh yeah, it should be in the ports tree too.
Have a look at mail/bogofilter

Update - the switch to bogofilter was quite easy. I hadn't trained bogofilter on enough "good" mails, so I got the manually mark and filter about a hundred mails wrongly classified as spam on the first round of fetching mail not too bad.
bogofilter - recommended!

Back