Solved Refugee from Linux, now 2 kernel panics in 2 days

and I am, in fact, disappointed that it has become more similar to Linux than it was before. I am still not sure what to think about 'rcng'.

Well, that's what happens. People came over and didn't truly leave their old ways behind. They just set about recreating the circumstances that failed them to begin with.

Dumb, eh?

Now those who came to get away from that, are going to find themselves right back in it.

What am I supposed to do, by another printer ?
My point was that you should have bought a printer that would work with FreeBSD. I did. It's a lot easier to choose hardware that works than to learn and swap operating systems.

They seem to believe that OS installation is some sort of life commitment
In a way, it is. Buying a home in a neighborhood is a long term decision. When you buy a new car, you know you're going to keep it for years. You want comfort and/or to become an expert on that system. You aren't going to buy a different one cause, one day, you decide you don't like the radio.

I understand negative attitudes towards Linux
This didn't used to be true. When I first got into FreeBSD, Linux was considered a friendly cousin, but Linux has drifted away from the Unix philosophy and became a Windows wannabe and a system unto itself. That is where the sideways glances started.

My point was that you should have bought a printer that would work with FreeBSD. I did. It's a lot easier to choose hardware that works than to learn and swap operating systems

Normally, getting Mono Laser to work isn't a rocket science, so I expected it to just work. However, Samsung introduced new graphics language (qpl or something). It was something new then. Printer is sollid and durable, however never have I installed it without issues. I know that it works out of the box in Windows, but I have never installed it under any version of Linux without extra work.

In a way, it is. Buying a home in a neighborhood is a long term decision. When you buy a new car, you know you're going to keep it for years. You want comfort and/or to become an expert on that system. You aren't going to buy a different one cause, one day, you decide you don't like the radio.

I have always considered myself a UNIX user. Started long ago on SCO UNIX and Solaris 2.1. (buggy as hell) While my friends were getting familiar with Windows 3.11. Later I had to deal with Solaris 2.4, 2.5 and Linux. Often had more than one UNIX flavor to work with.

This didn't used to be true. When I first got into FreeBSD, Linux was considered a friendly cousin, but Linux has drifted away from the Unix philosophy and became a Windows wannabe and a system unto itself. That is where the sideways glances started.

There are similar views inside Linux community as well. I'd say that tensions are growing, for now. Systemd was the line which some flatly refused to cross. Soon we might see another chapter in the history of UNIX Wars being written.

There are similar views inside Linux community as well. I'd say that tensions are growing, for now. Systemd was the line which some flatly refused to cross. Soon we might see another chapter in the history of UNIX Wars being written.
I also had the impression that GNU/Linux is drifting away from the Unix philosophy, and I am not happy about it. IMO the Unix philosophy has nothing to do with fashion or trends: some argue that the Unix way was appropriate 20, 30 years ago but "the world is moving on". Instead, the Unix way is about simplicity, modularity, and so on. I do not see how neglecting these principle can be considered "progress".

So I had been interested in FreeBSD for a while but, since I know that migrating to a new operating system is time consuming, I had never gone beyond installing it and trying it out for a few days.

The adoption of systemd by Debian gave me the extra kick I needed: I bought a new hard disk and I am moving all my software from Debian to FreeBSD. Up to now I am quite satisfied. I had two minor hardware problems but in any case I have exactly the platform I want.

I also had the impression that GNU/Linux is drifting away from the Unix philosophy, and I am not happy about it. IMO the Unix philosophy has nothing to do with fashion or trends: some argue that the Unix way was appropriate 20, 30 years ago but "the world is moving on". Instead, the Unix way is about simplicity, modularity, and so on. I do not see how neglecting these principle can be considered "progress".

There are, at least, two distributions dedicated to preserve UNIX heritage. Those are Slackware and Gentoo. Both leading developers have UNIX background. One of the declared goals of Slackware project is to develop UNIX-like system. Gentoo lead developer has been using FreeBSD for a long period. Both distributions have derivatives. Both have RC as init system.

Systemd is often seen as dividing line, but it is not the only one. There are other distributions which rejected Systemd, but, in my opinion, still drifted away from UNIX in other ways.

There seem to be a pressure from corporate circles and group associated with them. Red Hat is behind Systemd. GNOME is pushing some sort of "Windows philosophy" for a long time and Systemd as part of it. GNOME is backed by Canonical. Last, but not least is Microsoft which recently joined Linux foundation. They are about to make a release of .NET runtime and SDK for Linux. My bet is that it would run only on few corporate backed distributions, like Suse, Ubuntu and Red Hat. It will open the door to porting of Windows apps to Linux. It is not coincidence that Microsoft announced Windows 10 to be a final Windows release. It will bring a lot of people into Linux community, with different ideas, agendas, needs and requirements. The community will affect the developers and it will push Linux further down to some different path, Windows system running on top of Linux.

Then there will be a major split. Those who reject new direction will be in minority and they might find new ways to cooperate with BSD community.

This has drifted far away from the original topic, but it's been fun. I like things lean, high-performance, reliable, and configurable the way it suits me. FreeBSD has been all that to me. Sure it has issues, but it's still the system which I feel the most comfortable with.

I used FreeBSD around version 8, then switched to Linux for many years (not because FreeBSD was lacking what I needed. I wanted to try it). Switched back to FreeBSD around version 10. I'm not switching back unless everything stops working because all software becomes hard coded for Linux (unlikely).

Back